Test Breath Ketones without a Ketonix (using a cheap breathalyzer)

ketonix
acetone
breath

(Jim Russell) #345

I have those same 2 breathalyzers and that has been my experience too. I almost never register on the Greenwon, no matter how I blow.

(Jim Russell) #346

Blood: .4 mmol/l
breathalyzer: .07% bac
ketonix: 4.9 ppm

I have been testing again later in the day, macros at that time in photo. Screenshot_2017-08-10-19-11-19
AT6000 -> 0.08%BAC
Keychain greenwon -> 0.04%BAC
I found on the Keychain greenwon if I blow after the countdown starts (starting at 8 instead of 10) and blow the very last of my breath (until almost feeling like passing out) and have my whole mouth covering the mouth piece I can manage a reading. But not always. Not sure it is worth it. :sweat_smile: On the upside, it doesn’t make so much noise and it was quite cheap.

(Gary Wellman) #348

Tester arrived today!

I’ve been low carb for years but have plateaued after six stone/38kg weight loss.

Starting keto and fasting at the weekend to drop another two stones/12kg.

Will start posting details as I go.

After reading this fascinating thread I decided to test. Ordered an AT6000. Blew a .00, .19, .00, and .36.
Tell me what this means!
I’m assuming I’m in ketosis. I eat ZC and workout regularly. Thanks for all you experimenters.

Did you do this at the same time or was it over the course of the day? Also did you vary your technique?
I took a while to get my technique right to begin with and since then I get consistent readings, that increase slightly over the course of the day. I have found that my AT6000 seems to ‘warm up’ a lot faster than when I first got it. So I wondered if it takes a while to get to optimal functioning (? :roll_eyes:).
My technique is to blow as soon as the warm up countdown has completed for 6 seconds at the end of a normal breath (so exhaling slowly as it counts down the warm up, at about 20, until I have the feeling that I would normally begin to inhale, holding and blowing out that very last of my exhale breath) to get my reading.
I am not ZC however so that make a difference? Keep at it. It is an easy and inexpensive way to monitor ketosis once you have it mastered.

Thanks for the tips. I’m regularly blowing .03-.06 and have to take out a battery to shut it up. Now for someone to codify what these numbers correlate with to mM

(Jim Russell) #352

Blood: .1 mmol/l
breathalyzer: .04% bac
ketonix: 3.1 ppm

(Cyndi Law) #353

Hi All,
I’m new here and interested in learning more about ketosis. Wondering about the mouth pieces provided with these BACs. Are you changing and discarding the mouthpiece after each use? Or reusing it after washing it? Or just reusing it? Also wondering if reusing the mouthpiece (without cleaning it) could affect the result.

I’ve been eating low carb (10-15g per day) for a while but my body is very quick to go into gluconeogenesis if I eat too much protein. Fasting BS, after starting IF have dropped to 110-115 range from 120-130. I’m hoping one of these devices may help with keeping me on track and to identify if different types of protein could be affecting my BS.

Thanks in advance.

(Sonia A.) #354

It seems like there’s something in your diet or lifestyle that often kicks you out of ketosis. I hope you find what it is.

Edit : I forgot something. There are some people who have low ketones because they use them entirely. These people are generally long-time ketonians. Maybe you’re one of them.

(Jim Russell) #355

I did see something about some obese people (and I’m still obese) not producing as much ketones. It pretty much seems like I have to be fasting to have much ketones. But I’m still losing weight and I’m not weighing and measuring and worrying, so I’m happy. Going to start a fast again in a few hours. :slight_smile:

(Sonia A.) #356

As long as you’re happy and you see progress, the numbers are not really important. They’ll sort themselves out when you heal from insulin resistance. Happy fasting :grinning:.

(Jody) #357

Hello all!

I got the Greenwon AT6000 thanks to this thread. I was looking for an inexpensive way to see keto status … and this seemed like a good way. I will let you know what I find out.

(Todd Allen) #358

The correlation with mmol/L blood testing is loose as they measure two different things. The breathalyzer is more an indication of ketones you are burning for fuel while the blood ketones are a measure of ketones available to be burned.

I’ve got 3 different breathalyzers and each reads somewhat differently my highest reading one will typically show 0.06% BAC when my lowest reads 0.035% BAC. At that level my blood ketone meter might read anywhere from 0.5 mmol/L to 2.0 mmol/L though around 1.0 mmol/L is what I’d most commonly expect.

To know what your meter is doing you’d need to do some blood testing yourself. But tracking your breathalyzer numbers without another reference is still useful. You will see what is your normal range and discover things that make it rise or fall.

thank you. this makes sense.

(Jim Russell) #360

Blood ketones: .5 mmol/l
breathalyzer: .04%bac
ketonix: 3.6 ppm

Random question related to breathalyzer testing: So I just had a dessert at a friend’s house (it would have been rude to refuse)… It was a lot of flour and sugar. I’m wondering how soon after eating it the acetone levels in my breath will drop to reflect the reduction or cessation of ketone production in my body.

It’s been about an hour and I’m blowing a 0.09% on the Greenwon (unfortunately, I didn’t test before leaving home). While it would be great if this were the case, I’m guessing that there must be a delay between acetone in the breath and ketone production. Anyone have any idea how long this delay might be?

I hope this question is not too far off topic.

(Lee Jones) #362

Just got my highest reading in a long while off my Greenwon. I forgot it sounded an alarm over 0.05 bac. Startled me :joy:

(Todd Allen) #363

I usually notice a change in breath ketones about 6 to 12 hours later. I expect it depends to some degree on the level of blood ketones which will sustain production of breath ketones for a while after blood ketone production has fallen.

(Dave) #364

I just got that alarm too, almost woke the family up.
I had 4 lamb chops and did a big legs workout.
When I got home I blew into the Greenwon and well over the legal limit!
Now I actually will have a bourbon.