Test Breath Ketones without a Ketonix (using a cheap breathalyzer)

ketonix
acetone
breath

(Jim Russell) #305

Started a fast last night. Planning on 4 days or so.

blood: 0.7 mmol/l
breathalyzer: 0
ketonix: 3.0 ppm

Looks like blood ketones are coming back up. Expect to see breath to rise over the next few days as I start to burn the ketones in the blood.

(Jim Russell) #306

Still fasting. 40 hours in.

Blood: 0.3 mmol/l
breathalyzer: .02% bac
ketonix: 5.6 ppm

(Paolo Di Donato) #307

Your hypothesis was correct about breath ppm increasing and BHB deplete. I thought you would still see BHB rise because you hadnā€™t put anything else in your body so the liver would be converting more fats for energy

(Jim Russell) #308

Yes, that was my thought too. That BHB would continue to go up or at least stay around that level and that breath acetone would go up. This evening, blood is up, breath is back down. :man_shrugging:

blood: 0.7 mmol/l
ketonix: 4.1 ppm

(m) #309

So guess what! I was pretty sure my Greenwon was going to only be good for testing drunkiness. BUTā€¦ just now, I tried it again, just for the hell of it, and cuz I have it laying on my coffee table all the timeā€¦ And I got a 0.02 BAC.
THEN I remembered that a few hours ago when I tested my ketones, they were at my highest ever (since Iā€™ve actually been testing which is only a month) at 3.4 mmol. Sooooooā€¦ Iā€™m thinking for me, the breathalyzer is only gonna tell me when mine are quite high. Not so good, cause Iā€™m pretty sure 3+ mmol is not going to be typical. Anyways, next time I get a highish ketone reading Iā€™ll breathalyze again just to seeā€¦but still donā€™t think the breathalyzer is gonna be too much help if it only picks up when Iā€™m that high in ketones.

Hello, I am new to this forum and found this thread due to googling, when I was trying to figure out if buying Ketonix made sense.
Thank you all for the mini experiment here. As a European (german) I had trouble with the provided amazon.com link but it seems that Greenwon has decent offers through amazon.de as well.

My main question is, between those 2 device modifications, is there a big difference/clear recommendation?
I would like to get at least 2 devices for my girlfriend and myself. We are both still new to keto and fooled around past few weeks/months. Before that I was on a non strict paleo diet.

Those seem to be the 2 best options, based on the overall selection of Greenwon EU (amazon,de -> greenwon)

Cheap Version
https://www.amazon.de/GREENWON-Breathalyzer-Keychain-Replacement-Mouthpiece/dp/B01MG7CDSK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1501757988&sr=8-1&keywords=greenwon

Higher Prized
https://www.amazon.de/greenwon-Display-Polizei-Alkoholtester-MundstĆ¼cke/dp/B01N0QNSHQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1501757988&sr=8-3&keywords=greenwon

Would probably order the cheap one for on the go and 2 of the higher prized ones for home (and also with the mouth pieces).

Any recommendations? Also if someone knowledgeable about the process would be interested in sharing experience (pm appreciated!), I would love to get a bit more in-depth understand.
Thank you

(Todd Allen) #311

Iā€™ve got both models. For me the cheaper one is more useful both when Iā€™m at low and very high levels of ketones but the more expensive works well when Iā€™m in a middle range of 1.5 mmol/l to 6.0 mmol/l. But the units you receive might be different. Iā€™d suggest getting one of each and then go for a second of whichever model you find more useful.

(Todd Allen) #312

Experiment with how you use it. Try holding your breath during the warm up countdown, Exhale part way before bringing the unit to your lips and then forcefully blowing out your remaining air through the unit. Timing can also affect it, try waiting a couple seconds past the warm up count down and test shorter and longer exhalations through the unit. You will likely find a technique that gives readings at lower levels of blood ketones. If not, try another unit. Iā€™ve got 3 and find them all useful but they are each different and some are fussier to get consistent readings at lower levels.

(Jim Russell) #313

Ended my fast yesterday.

blood ketones: 0.4 mmol/l
breathalyzer: still 0
ketonix: 6.1 ppm

Thank you brownfat, Very much appreciated ! Will post once I have the devices at home :slight_smile:

(Jennifer Fawcett) #315

So I broke down and ordered this unit. It works suprisingly consistently and well. The documentation accompanying the unit is nil, but it apppears to measure acetone in ppm. I emailed the seller regarding this and am waiting for a reply. Here is the review I left on the page:

ā€œThis little device is supposed to measure acetone in exhaled breath. Mine came in a beige case with a loose 2300 mah battery, cable and charging cable. You have to be careful attaching the cable to the circuit board, but the rest is pretty easy; just mind to route the cable round the board in order to close it. I just close it and donā€™t latch the box, holding it firmly closed instead. Breathe into the straw for thirty seconds (two breaths for me) and a reading appears on the display. This is where the questions lie, however; what are these readings? PPM? Mg/L? the nerd in me needs to know. I also wonder if the sensor on the board is specifically for acetone or sensitive to all organics (i. e. alcohol). All in all, I am pretty happy with the device, as the measurements seem so far to correlate with urine and blood ketone testing. Just a little more documentation would be nice. Recommended.ā€

ETA: watch the Youtube video for a pretty decent explanation and demonstration.

(Jim Russell) #316

Looks interesting. Let us know what you think. It looks like the first number is some sort of raw data and the second number is just a 0-10 scale number based on the raw data. What the raw sensor data number means, who knows? Hopefully the seller will have some good information.

(Jennifer Fawcett) #317

My display is slightly different. The first number on the picture I think refers to the sensor number. On my unit it displays as ā€œBreath Acetoneā€. The second numbers are measure consistently when I am in ketosis. The urine strips may show negative, but if the unit measures 6 or above, the blood ketones are usually above .8. I am not very good with graphing results, and letā€™s face it, all these measurements are not absolutely precise, but it is precise enough or me. Iā€™m going to use this and forego the Ketonix until they get their FDA issues sorted.

(Doug) #318

Dude says he tried to correlate the meter readings with BHB molecules in blood:

0.5 mmol/L = 5.0 (breath)
1.0 mmol/L = 5.5 (breath)
1.5 mmol/L = 6.0 (breath)
3.0 mmol/L = 6.5 (breath)

(Jennifer Fawcett) #319

I saw that. So far, my numbers donā€™t appear to be in the same range. For example, last night I tested at 7.15 on the meter and had 1,8 on the blood test. But that is just one result.

Hence my complaint about lack of more documentation. But other than that, the thing pays for itself in the cost of ketone strips lol.

(Jim Russell) #320

Very cool. I probably would have done the same thing if I had seen it before I bought my Ketonix. Iā€™m happy with it, but if I could have gotten something for less than half the priceā€¦

(Doug) #321

Jennifer, yes - it doesnā€™t seem right to me that the breath numbers, being so close together at 5.0 to 6.5, would equate to a much larger percentage range for mmol/L. At the least, something very non-linear must be going on.

(Jim Russell) #322

blood: 0.6 mmol/l
ketonix: 17.6 ppm by far the highest Iā€™ve measured.

Soā€¦ Iā€™m just about out of hypotheses for correlating blood ketones and breath ketones. The ketonix software lets me put in other data when Iā€™m measuring breath acetone, so Iā€™ve been doing blood ketones, blood glucose and occasionally blood pressure. Then you can do graphs inside the software. I wish you could export a csv file with the data.

(Sonia A.) #323

At first, it seemed like there was a correlation between blood ketones and the cheap breathalyser. But, now I donā€™t see any correlation between all your numbers, @Jimbo. The breathalyser seems to be more a yes or no device than a precise measure of ketones.

(Jim Russell) #324

Figured out why the 0.00 on the breathalyzer for the last few days. Batteries were dying. Replaced them and now Iā€™m seeing numbers again.

blood: 0.4 mmol/l
breathalyzer: .04% bac
ketonix: 8.7 ppm