Test Breath Ketones without a Ketonix (using a cheap breathalyzer)

ketonix
acetone
breath

(Todd Allen) #284

I think an area of confusion here is that the breathalyzers show results with a variety of units and most people here report the number without the units. And two of the units are nearly indistinguishable, there is a %BAC which I always use and there is the same thing but with a different percent symbol that has two zeros in the denominator which scales the result up by a factor of 10. I don’t even know how to write this symbol which is why I always post the other %BAC. Many breathalyzers also report mg/L which would cause less confusion but it often isn’t displayed on the primary screen and a button must be pressed to cycle the display to see it.

Also, I have 2 meters which report mg/L as 5 times greater than %BAC but the Greenwon reports it, incorrectly I think, as 10 times greater.

(Samuel Tew) #285

HI guys,

Do you think the alcohol the breathalyzers is recording is the Isopropanol?

(Paolo Di Donato) #286

I agree, I will definitely try my best to keep it all equal. If it is +/-.01 I think I can live with that.

(Todd Allen) #287

No, I think they are responding to the acetone. I doubt much isopropanol is going out in the breath.

(Jim Russell) #288

Working this week, so I’m going to be doing this at different times than last week.

blood ketones: 0.7 mmol/l
breathalyzer: .03% bac
ketonix: 6.9 ppm

I’m late to this party. Greenwon finally arrived today and so far nothing but 0.00. I’m trying the various breathing techniques until I settle on something that works, maybe in the morning. I’m on day 1 of a fast so something should change soon.

(m) #290

Zeros for me too… except after a drink!

I blew a .02 this morning. I’m at ~32 hours fasted. Looking forward to figuring out what number corresponds to tasting-my-own-breath level.

I have been at 0.02 all week, very pleased :slight_smile:

(Paolo Di Donato) #293

Tested blood at 0.5mmol/l but didn’t find anything in the breath using the GreenWon

(Jim Russell) #294

blood ketones: 0.3 mmol/l
breathalyzer: .002% bac
ketonix: 5.6 ppm

(Paolo Di Donato) #295

Is this still a morning and evening test you’re doing Jimbo? If so, which one was your last post.

(Jim Russell) #296

I work a 12 hour shift at night, so on the days I’m working I’m just doing it once per day in the evening. Which is morning for me. :slight_smile:

(Jim Russell) #297

I seem to have knocked myself out of ketosis or at least very low levels of ketones. Not sure if it was the gum I had this afternoon or the bourbon I had this morning after I got home from work. It will be interesting to see how fast I get back into ketosis.

blood ketones: 0.3 mmol/l
breathalyzer: .000% bac
ketonix: 2.6 ppm

I think the Greenwon is right, at least by U.S. standards. Here’s a chart from Wikipedia which shows all the different ways of measuring.

1% BAC = 1 g/dL = 10 g/L

My limited testing so far. I’m using the cheap eBay Greenwon with the keychain and orange backlight.

Day 1 of fast after a 3 day feast where I ate way more protein than normal:
0.00%
Note: still experimenting with breathing techniques at that point, and I felt my blood ketones were on the low side of my comfort zone, which is around 1 mmol. I’m out of test strips.

Day 2, nothing but water, salt, coffee (with a little almond milk) and 2 macadamia nuts
0.02%

Day 3
0.04%

Day 4 - broke fast previous night
0.08%

I was mostly sedentary with some walking during the fast. It’s typical for me to get over 5 mmol BHB on a 3 -4 day fast.

Day 5:
0.08%
Ate normally yesterday, but less than usual.

(Todd Allen) #300

Thanks for the link to that chart. I liked that it tells where each of the units is used and it helps make it all a bit less confusing.

(Jim Russell) #301

Still out of ketosis.

blood 0.3 mmol/l
breathalyzer: 0
ketonix: 3.9 ppm

(Jim Russell) #303

blood: 0.2 mmol/l
breathalyzer: 0.0
ketonix: 3.4 ppm

Given they are making claims that the device is not sold in stores, and that they have limited manufacturing capacity…

This qualifies as fraud.