Tennis junkie new to keto

(Tina) #1

3-4 weeks into keto diet , easy transition, feeling great! I’m trying to figure out when and how to eat around playing. A normal day could involve 1.5 hrs cardio tennis in am , a group lesson in early afternoon and either strength training or league match in evening. Some days it could be 3-4 hrs on court before stopping. Problem - performance not what it was before and after an hour or so esp. if playing fasted , I feel hypoglycemic.
Should I forget about IF on tennis days and always eat something before playing?

(VLC.MD) #2

Sound idea.

Are you fat adapted ?

Try 3 eggs before tennis ? And a pinch of carbs ?

(Tina) #3

Have no idea if fat adapted … keto sticks have been measuring in moderate range for over two weeks. I assume I might see a taper off on those when I really am fat adapted .
Have two cardio tennis classes today one in am and one early afternoon. Will eat before both !

(Allan L) #4

My personal fix for lack of energy before or during exercise is salt, and lots of it.

Also you’ve only been doing keto for 3-4 weeks and can take months for your body to effectively switch between fuels, you could still be adapting.

(ianrobo) #5

Afraid to say you are far from fat adapted yet. It may take up to 12 weeks and never read anyone shorter than 6 weeks

Everyone sees a performance dip and just got to play through it and then when it kicks in you will know. You know this but don’t be tempted by the shitty energy drinks !!!

Btw salt is a very good idea plus electrolyte tabs and would say as a min double your intake.

(Tina) #6

Thanks guys , yesterday was a much better day. Tried eggs with lots of salt before and had electrolyte tab between sessions.