Tell me, once more it isn't about calories

(Rhiannon ) #41

Thank you for all the insight. It is helpful.

(Bonnie ) #42

Hi xandtrek! I also am post menopausal ( 55) and have hypothyroidism, also I have fibromyalgia and copd, osteoarthritis. Iā€™ve dieted and yo-yoed most of my life, since age 13. But not until going Keto in 2015 was I ever able to lose weight (75 lbs) and NOT count calories. The fat makes it so satiating. But I have to admit now since January 2016 I started to track my calsā€¦just to see what I was typical consuming. Turns out I can eat 1800-2100 cals. a day and still lose or maintain. Thatā€™s amazing since before I had to drop to 1200-1500 in the past to lose. If I eat a lot of carbs in a day (anything over 50g) it shows up on the scale, and also my cravings start to kick in for more carbs. So I will just keep eating my bacon & eggs and salad with chicken or steak and butter! Itā€™s good to see someone else has good results with Keto while being post-menopausal and hypothyroidism!

(Candace) #43

Wow! Lots of good information. Iā€™m far too new to really add anything, if there is anything left to addā€¦ I have found you have to do your own research, and you definitely came to the right place to get answers. I second watching That Sugar Film.

(Nigel Williams) #44

The Ask Prof Noakes Podcast: The balance of Calories in versus Calories out - does it work?

I found this very good itā€™s less than 5 mins long

(Nigel Williams) #45

This is about the failure of the latest Apple Watches etc. to accurately count calories out.

(Rob) #46

That wasnā€™t a very good article. Any of the bands that measure heart rate while working out are more accurate about calculating energy usage. If you are very fit and have a lower heart rate for the same exercise you will generally burn fewer calories than someone who has to work harder.
The Apple Watch is also more conservative than many since it calculates workout calories NET of your BMR rather than gross. These products are definitely an improvement over height/weight/age estimatesā€¦ Not that calories are the primary focus under keto any more :grin:

(Kathrine) #47

Hi Girl! I have a similar history.
How is it going and have you made any progress? :slight_smile:
I gained 20 pounds back and now Iā€™m trying to lose them again :slight_smile:

(Pete A) #48

7 months and 70 pounds down in my Keto journey, and a calorie defecit is a big part of that. But the most important part has been keeping my carbs low (10-15 gross a day), and my 70% daily fat. My appetite has been suppressed.

As a binge-eater I have a sense of control or a happy zone with the amount Iā€™m consuming. Fat to satiety is great, but I could easily keep eating, so the calorie restriction keeps my eyes on the prize. Iā€™ve hardly wavered, but when I do itā€™ll be an easy bounce back.