Taste for Salt

I was eating an avocado today and noticed that I had put enough salt that it probably would have been inedible in my pre-keto days. In fact, I’ve been salting my food more lately in general as my taste for salt has increased. I haven’t been regularly drinking ketoade lately; just haven’t felt the need. Has anyone else noticed their taste for salt has changed on keto?

(Kristen Ann) #2

Yes definitely. I salt everything. It’s gotten weird. Luckily I live alone so I don’t have anyone noticing me salting desserts, cheese, drinks, slices of butter….lol.

(Carl Keller) #3

I’ve always used the salt shaker with a heavy hand, even before LCHF. If my tolerance for salty food increases, I take it a sign that my body is craving it because it needs it. Sodium is necessary for nerve and muscle function as well as regulating fluid levels.

I probably use twice as much now but I do so without guilt after doing some research about current sodium recommendations and why they are inadequate. Jason Fung’s Salt Scare video and this article are good places to start if you worry about too much sodium in your diet.

(John) #4

I have not noticed any particular difference. I salt my food about the same as I always have.

I have never really had a heavy hand with the salt shaker, but I don’t skimp on it for foods where it enhances taste.

I haven’t gotten to the level of salting desserts YET (except things like salted caramel), but you have me intrigued. :smile:

I’ve come a long way with keto in listening to my body and this was my first thought with the hankering for more salt. I listened to the 2KD Salt Fix a while back so I don’t view it as dangerous any more. It seems like so much of the conventional wisdom regarding nutrition is not so wise.

(bulkbiker) #7

I salt my coffee with cream…

I noticed my sense of taste has definitely changed.

I’m not talking about pastel blue safari suits with leopard fur flared inserts type of taste. As those duds will never go out of fashion.

I can smell and taste wine and cheeses with increased discernment of flavour notes. To the point where I can actually believe the wine labels explaining flavours like chocolate, peppercorn, plum etc.

Perfumes are wonderful now, whereas deodorants are nauseating.

Salted butter is delicious and easily picked in blind tasting with other non salted types.

I wonder what that Swedish delicacy salted licorice would taste like?

“Salt to taste” is what I use. Trusting my body these days.

(Allie) #9

Yes. I never used to have salt with anything - didn’t even add it to cooking as I disliked the taste of it. Now I add it to my coffees and warm water drinks, add it to cooking, sprinkle it on food, actually currently eating roasted salted peanuts.

('Jackie P') #10

I have always been made to feel guilty about taking too much salt! Now I am vindicated.
I truly believe this is why I had no keto flu when I started this WOE.

(Allie) #11

I never had keto flu either and didn’t start adding salt until at least two years in.

('Jackie P') #12

Wow! Just shows how different we all are!
Love to Chunk and the Clucks☺

(Carl Keller) #13

You know you are a ketoer when people stare at you when you salt your food.

('Jackie P') #14

Haha, my Mum always says that even as a kid everyones dinner was cold by the time I had finished with the salt!:slight_smile:
Maybe I was born with it! Made for Keto.

Same here, I seldom used to salt my food (I would season during cooking, though). I really need to try this salting coffee thing that everyone is talking about.

How about salted pastel blue safari suits with leopard fur flared inserts? And yes, trusting our bodies is the bees’ knees as long as we aren’t putting the poison being peddled to us daily into it.

Keto is the salt lover’s dream!

(CORY SILVA) #18

I’m now on Keto since Nov 20th 2019. So not long at all. I’m doing it for inflammation. I’m 37 and always in pain from previous sports and weight lifting in my life. I’m finding that i’m needing a lot of salt. I tried this 2 years ago and had the worst experience ever. Full blown “Keto flu”. So 2 weeks into I stopped. This time around I’m eating a much cleaner Keto. However every once in a while… I know this sounds crazy but my bones start cracking and popping more. I get a tightness in the back of my neck, then that turns into brain fog with a severe headache. If I take a teaspoon of sea salt and wash it back it will diminish within an hour. My question is how much salt is to much?