Focus on the big picture

(Art ) #13

You’re right. I have a dozen fat friends and relatives that are dying. Buried one less than a month ago. 3 this year. And I look around here and see people trying how to figure out how to not do KETO while feigning an interest. I am frustrated.

It’s so damn easy when you stay focused on the major points and like any evangelist that just found their new messiah I want to spread the good news.

The sad thing is - I’m late to the game, 99% aren’t even playing and like most things in life - we’re on our own.

Did any of you guys ever write a top 10 essential rules of KETO? Because I’d just like to share that and be done with it. I’m late for lunch now.

(Art ) #14

Fair enough.

(Art ) #15

And an equal amount of BS.

The challenge today is not getting access to knowledge, it’s filtering it, filtering the noise.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #16

With regards to ‘fasting’ of the ‘intermittent’ type. Many/most people used to do it all the time. Only it was called not eating between supper and breakfast which, depending on timing, could be anywhere from 10-12 hours daily. It was considered normal. When I was a child* being allowed a glass of milk and a cookie before bed was a treat, not a common occurrence. As late as the 60s, the Roman Catholic Church required a minimum of 12 hours fast prior to communion. So intermittent fasting is not some exotic behaviour invented by Jason Fung. It was the common eating pattern until fairly recent time when eating 24/7 gained vogue.

*The 1950s, not the Paleolithic. :boy:

(Art ) #17

Humans and their ancestors have been fasting for millions of years. It is normal to go days without food. It is abnormal to have 24 hour fast food and grocery chains every few miles.

This is the most often linked basics for newbies:

(John) #19

Even that is very recent, within my adult memory. Used to be there were very few places to eat open after midnight. Typically coffee-shops with breakfast type foods - meaning eggs, bacon, toast, waffles.

Even the grand-daddy to the modern convenience store chains, 7-11, was so named because it was open from 7am to 11pm. Not all night long.

I remember when some grocery stores started staying open later, since someone was going to be working in there stocking groceries anyway. And you still had to go find someone to check you out.

TV stations would go off-air at midnight, or earlier, and would play the national anthem. And about 6am they would power back on with their test pattern for about 30 minutes.

Until the advent of cable TV, pretty much your only late-night entertainment was radio, and then only a few stations.

24x7 everything world is a very recent innovation.

(hottie turned hag) #21

There’s that mean spirited sarcasm with which you love to spice up your posts
:grinning:

You do realize there are other search engines; do they have those “where you live” -on Samoa-?
I haven’t used Google since 2008.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #22

What is this Samoa comment? What does it mean?

(hottie turned hag) #23

Samoa has a massive degree of obesity in the population, very high percentage.

So since our Art has such an inordinate amount of dead and dying obese friends I surmised he lives there.

(Tom Seest) #24

Lost my favorite Mother-In-Law this year to Alzheimer’s. My favorite Father-In-Law and Mother-In-Law followed their favorite doctor’s advice until she left this world behind.

While the Ketogenic communities are growing, and there’s growing evidence to support that they are growing, there are many varieties of Keto being evangelized and this can lead to confusion.

I was unable to convince my own favorite Mother-In-Law or Father-In-Law to try an alternative, even though they knew the odds were not in their favor given traditional medical care.

It happens.

Not everyone will be receptive to our messages. In many cases, they doubt us. In some cases, they may link Keto to traditional “dieting”. And, in some cases, they may have been insulted by too many people because they didn’t “Keto” the right way. In many cases, we’ll never know.

But, we won’t know if we don’t ask…

We may just have to ask and listen. And, maybe we can learn.

(Tom Seest) #25

Interesting numbers:

http://worldpopulationreview.com/countries/most-obese-countries/

Obesity doesn’t seem to correlate well with mortality rates:

http://worldpopulationreview.com/countries/death-rate-by-country/

Of course, other sources of data may vary…Still, interesting…

(hottie turned hag) #26

Yes, I’ve noted this. I think it has to do with homogeneous populations eating unprocessed foods in those cases. Different effects than on us 1st world folk.

(Tom Seest) #27

That’s kinda what I was thinking too. I’ll have to dig into it. I wonder how the obesity rates, mortality rates correlate with countries based on perceived level of medical care available? I’ll have to go dig for data.

(hottie turned hag) #28

Low levels is my guess.

Interesting sorta related fact I discovered when one of my kids developed Crohn’s in childhood: it’s fairly nonexistent in 3rd world countries and incidence among white middle class is predominant. The countries with the highest incidence are Canada -by strikingly LARGE numbers ahead of the rest-, USA, UK and ODDLY, Japan.

All very 1st world. That Japan is in the top 5 eliminates diet as a factor for sure (which it isn’t as Crohn’s is a disease of the immune system not the gut) and also race and culture.

(Art ) #29

I thought it might be the new Bing.

Where the # 1 search is “How do I get to google?”

(hottie turned hag) #30

This deserves the non sequitur award of the day
:trophy:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #31

First of all, I am sorry for your loss, Tom. That has to hurt. The number of people whose lives were either cut short or made miserable by our current dietary guidelines is a scandal.

As far as obesity and mortality rates are concerned, obesity as a result of too rich a diet is a new problem since the promulgation of the dietary guidelines. Up till that point, it was considered a form of malnutrition, since carbohydrate was cheap and therefore the recourse of the poor, who couldn’t afford meat.

(Kerin ) #32

Lol! In my city of 16,000 + 10,000 who drive through, we have 6 fast food burger shops, 6 pizza, 6 Chinese restaurants, 1 chicken 1 taco, multiple delis, 4 grocery stores, many gas/convenience stores with delis, and restaurants.
But the everyone you ask says there’s nothing in the mall. :balloon:

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #33

I usually move on when people start pushing back on suggestions that they can improve their WOE. Artificial sweetners for example. Agree, that generally they don’t (or most don’t) raise BG but they

• raise insulin those that are IR
  • help you keep your taste for sweets when that can be dangerous

I’ve been successfully helping family, friends, co-workers move to this WOE/WOL. There is enough low hanging fruit to keep me busy. Okay so bad phrase.

Here I give some of these posters a chance but when they push back on what my N=1, or your N=1 demonstrates then I move on. Life is too short.