Target Weight

What is your method of determine target wt?

Thanks,

(Alex ) #2

I use the NHS (UK) BMI charts which assess weight vs height, and also the www.tdeecalculator.net which also indicated ā€œIdeal BMIā€ and ā€œIdeal Weightā€

Iā€™m aiming for being in the ideal body fat percentage range, wherever that lands my weight so be it.

(Misty Torrey) #4

I havenā€™t figured mine out yet. I have such a substantial amount to lose I started with smiler goals. I know that I will never reach the target weights on charts. As 5ā€™3" medium frame female many say 117-135 lbs. As young athlete in highschool with very little measurable body fat, I did not weigh 135 lbs. I was closer to 150 probably. My guess is I will settle around 150. Either way, I wonā€™t change how I am eating. Dr. Berry called keto a ā€œweight optimizingā€ diet. So I figure once my body reaches itā€™s set point I will keep calm and keto on with no need to ā€œchange for maintenance.ā€

(Scott) #5

Sometimes I feel like it is running to the horizon chasing the sun

(Full Metal KETO AF) #6

There are numerous BMI Calculators free to use online. You put in your age, sex, height and current weight. It will give you the range of whatā€™s considered to be a healthy BMI. You can work with those figures and decide where you feel you want to be in that range to establish a healthy goal. Iā€™m a 59 yo 5ā€™10ā€ male and my heathy range BMI is about 130-175 pounds which is quite a range. I am currently 182 and my goal is about 20 pounds more of weight loss but who knows where I will end up. Iā€™m a below the right knee amputee and the lighter the better is reality for me so if I feel good doing so I may go considerably lower. It will help me to up my activity levels to be lighter. And you gotta keep movinā€™ to be livinā€™ :cowboy_hat_face:

(Sue) #7

I am 5ā€™7 female with large frame (fingers around wrist method). So ideal weight is 142-147. Also I weighed around 150 when I considered myself to be in my best shape in my 20ā€™s. So my goal is 145-150. But could be 150-155 - will decide when I get there

my method is remembering my high school weight :sunglasses:

(Carolyn aka stokies) #9

BMI is not a reliable way to detemine goal weights. BMI was a process designed in the late 19th century to best ascribe physical attributes of ā€˜healthyā€™ adults. These are literally measurements of exterior factors and take nothing else into account. Internal composition is not accounted for - muscle vs fat, bone density, gender etc. It has been proven time over time that it is not the correct benchmark for healthā€¦

There is a range of body fat that is considered healthy per gender. If you can determine what your stripped down weight is without fat, then add the additional correct healthy body fat persentage, that isi how Iā€™ve reached my target goal weight. Soā€¦ without fat, my body weighs about 144 pounds. I determined this by using scale that measures my current body fat percentage, and did the math.

Women should be 20-26% body fatā€¦ that means anywhere between 28-32ish pounds added to 144, my target weight range is 172-176 pounds. I am human so I am initially aiming for 180 LOLā€¦

(Full Metal KETO AF) #10

My BMI has a 45# window in it. I assume that accounts for how muscular the person is. I agree that it is not perfect or that you canā€™t pick some arbitrary number in that range to make a goal, but it does give you an idea of the possible range. And gender is part of every calculator that I have seen. Iā€™m unclear about how a scale can account for your age, sex or height to come up with a usable reliable figure. Or how you could possibly estimate your lean weight if youā€™ve been overweight for 20-30 years. They used to weigh you and then submerge you in water to find your mass displacement in the water. Then use a formula to calculate body fat percentage. But I trust the calculator as a ballpark figure of a healthy range to try to be within, my body and my mobility function will sort out exactly where I should be. YMMV :sunglasses:

(Lazy, Dirty Keto šŸ˜) #11

Honestly, Iā€™m not sure :joy: Iā€™m at the point of trying to determine my target weight now actually. Like @stokiesgoneketo said, BMI is not an accurate or reliable way of determining weight goals, so Iā€™m personally not going off of that. Right now Iā€™m pretty comfortable with my overall progress, clothing size, etc and Iā€™m just trying to focus on toning my stomach and arms. Which means I need to hit the gym :roll_eyes::-1:t4:

Like @anon2571578, I interested in % body fat. I want to be the same as it was 20 years ago- when I was in my teens.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #13

Iā€™m going for a size, not weight. Like, the size I was in this or that photo, which I think is around 165 lbs but Iā€™m older now so I think Iā€™ll know it when I get there by seeing myself in a photo (which adds 30 lbs in my case) and saying, I look good!

Really hard to say at 5ā€™7ā€ and 68 years old.

I know, for sure, itā€™s not 255 where I started or 191 where I am now. Initially I thought it would be 180. But now I am ā€œleaningā€ toward 170. My wedding weight (in 1971) of 165 would be super. So why not make it 165.

But Iā€™m also a realist ā€¦ 175.

(Wendy) #15

I didnā€™t know what weight to aim for so I picked 132 lbs at one point. Iā€™m 5ā€™6 female and over 50yrs. I got to that goal and was content with my size but continued to lose a few more. My lowest was 125 which is pretty much what I weighed when I was married over 33 years ago.
I donā€™t look quite the same as when I was 20, I think I have more fat and less lean, so if I gain from increasing muscle I donā€™t care if the weight reads higher.
I wanted to get to size 8 and I am. Itā€™s even a bit loose on me. I was pleasantly surprised to reach my goal as quickly as I did. (Todayā€™s weight is 128 but Iā€™ve been eating not so keto the last few days. (Oberwise Eggnog and keylime pie for a couple days for one.) :heart_eyes::yum::roll_eyes: I know I shouldnā€™t have.

(Frank) #16

My 14 year old post pubescent weight of 185 was my goal. I had done all of my growing height wise and was in pretty good shape.

(Drew Schmidt) #17

So I once had a doctor tell me 220. And when I started Keto I was close to 315 and had been for a number of years. Right now Iā€™m 238 and 220 seems high to be honest. Iā€™m building muscleā€¦loosing fatā€¦and for the last month or so slowing on the loss. My original goal was 220 or 20% body fat. Now? Iā€™m not sure. Iā€™ll get down to at least 220 but if I start going below that ā€“ fine.

I asked my doctor about this ā€“ who is completely pro-keto. He said my body will tell me where I belong once I get there. So, weā€™ll see. According to the charts my ideal weight should be between 185 and 190. But I can see 200 being about right.

My body seems to have settled around 115. Iā€™m 5ā€™2" and started at 160. Lost on avg. 6 lbs a month and then the weight loss slowed until it stabilized between 114 and 117. Am not eating much differently than when I was losing and still have energy without any deprivation symptoms. Am continuing to monitor my BG and BK, but the body seems to know. Just trying to learn how to listen to it.

I use a Body Fat Calculator with the result based on sex, age, weight, height, neck, waist and hip measurements.

https://www.calculator.net/body-fat-calculator.html

(Doug) #20

Frank, you were one big 14 year old. :sunglasses:

My heaviest was about 340 lbs, so half of that - 170. What sense does that make? Perhaps litle, but Iā€™ve always liked numbers, and to get to ā€˜halfā€™ - that would be cool.