Tamarind!

(Q Ish) #1

I consumed a few pods of tamarind today without checking the label and when I did i almost had a heart attack finding out how many carbs it had. I am assuming I’ll be kicked out of ketosis soon? Anyone experience that and how long it takes to get back into ketosis? Any help is appreciated. thank you!

Never heard of Tamarind, but how long you’ll be kicked out is completely dependent on how long it takes you to burn off those carbs. We don’t have much stored glycogen normally so most of it will burn off as a fuel and how much reloads your liver in the process is a little different for everybody. If “a few” really means a few I wouldn’t worry about it. Fast the rest of the day if you want but honestly I’d just keep on going business as usual.

Ain’t no thang that eating chicken wings can’t fix

(Carl Keller) #4

It could be a few hours, a few days but probably less than a week if you eat correctly. Don’t beat yourself up over a mistake. There will be mistakes in your ketogenic journey. Just try to look at them as learning opportunities. :slight_smile:

(The amazing autoimmune 🦄) #5

Tamarind is a fruit although some call it a legume, that is used to season and flavor a lot of Mexican and Indian cooking. I love it sadly it had to go when I started Keto.

I suspect you will probably be back in by this evening as long as you aren’t in your first two weeks.

Good luck

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #6

Sixty-nine grams of sugar in a cup of tamarind pulp? Wow!

(Running from stupidity) #7

Yeah, you want to be judicious with its use, for sure :slight_smile:

The thing is that it’s used in small amounts - maybe a tblsp to drizzle over crunchy things or per person for a big pot of something. I continue to use it, sparingly.

It’s incredibly TART pulp, and sugar is usually added to it for counterbalance or else one might keel over from it lol.

(Bunny) #9

Being tart like that without the added sugar could increase bile production like a digestive bitter?

(The amazing autoimmune 🦄) #10

Interesting I always have found it sweet and sour together. I guess we all have different taste buds😊

Well, it’s more sour-sweet than bitter, so am not sure about that. It’s considered an anti-inflammatory and antiseptic in eastern herbalism.

Many different ways to prepare it, the pulp kind used in cooking is very different that roasted dry pods, and different than the leaves and flowers - all of them are used in different ways in Ayurveda.

Interestingly, Tamarind trees were planted by some cities in southern California as landscaping/decoration in the public easement and still exist there today.

One of my grandmothers used to live on a Tamarind lined street in old Long Beach - and we just knew what type of tree it was, nothing about cuisine and medicine! The seed pods were fun to shake and rattle.

(Bunny) #12

Sour sweet will work for bile?

(Q Ish) #13

Thank you guys! I am just back at it for two days now and still not back in ketosis. I’m not thinking about it and eating the right stuff to eventually get back in it.

I really don’t know - only am familiar with the bitter for that.

(Gabe “No Dogma, Only Science Please!” ) #15

KCKO!

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #16

You can’t fix the ingestion of carbs with more food. It doesn’t work like that. Time and exercise is the cure for carbing.

Carbed yesterday. Two coffees and an ounce of almonds so far today. No hunger.

You ruined my play on phrase :grin:

But in seriousness, I was referring to basically Keep calm and keto on: get back to eating keto foods and you’ll be there soon enough. Fasting is like keto advanced, it’s not for everyone right away