Taking on an extended fast (10-14 Days)

fasting

(Zack F) #41

Day 10 Evening Reflections

BG 68 mg / 3.9 mmol
Ketones 4.1 mmol
GKI 0.95

Today was fun. High energy levels. What was amazing is how much water I drank…and that is what I wanted to drink. I’m relaxing now with some green tea and a squeeze of lime. It’s tasty but almost forced.

I’ve been browsing online for a food processor. I’m going grocery shopping tomorrow night as I turn over a more continuous leaf on my keto journey. Of course I have high hopes in the long run to helping my wife shift to a low carb diet. The short term grocery bill is going to spike but well worth it.

Tomorrow and Saturday are the last full days of this fast. What can I say? It’s been no less than remarkable. Though this has been such a success, I have no idea when I’ll go this long on a fast again. Until this summer at least i’ll probably just incorporate more intermittent fasting with the occasional 48-72 hour fast.

(Zack F) #42

Day 11 BP Drop

Weight 255.4 / 115.8 kg
BG 69 mg / 3.8 mmol
Ketones 4.0
GKI .95
BP 129/85

BP sometimes gets thrown to the backseat in these discussions. Watching my BP approach normal numbers is as important to me as dropping insulin levels even though I didn’t put it in the goals. Though I’m not an ER doctor nor fireman my job can be stressful and my direct reports can get stressed out. I know a lower baseline BP was essential for my long term health. More colleagues than I can count are on blood pressure meds and have to go on leave to deal with it. I didn’t want to be there.

Some more sludge came out this morning a few minutes after I had a glass of water. Others have seen this on day 14, 15 and so forth. I think I can explain by having faster than average transit time. Also, I don’t need more than one hand to count how many times in my life that I’ve been constipated. Sometimes I normally go twice a day.

(Zack F) #43

Day 11 Midnight Reflections

BG 67 mg / 3.7 mmol
Ketones 3.9 mmol
GKI 0.95

I just had a tremendously long day. I got up about 7am. Did a few things around the place. I then uploaded an entry to this fasting log. Did some work related things at home for a couple of hours before going into work. Worked eight and half hours there while running three errands during lunch. After work I went grocery shopping. Spent a pile of dough on food and ingredients to cook keto meals for my family. Got home about 1140pm. It’s now a little after midnight. I’ve yawned some but not fall to floor exhausted.

Bring on the last full day of this fast tomorrow!

(Zack F) #44

Day 12 The End Draws Nigh

Weight 253.2 lbs / 114.8 kg
BG 70mg / 3.9 mmol
Ketones 4.0 mmol
GKI 0.98
BP 130/85

Just soaked up a good 8 hours of sleep after an eighteen hour day where ten hours was spent on my feet.

After a bunch of shopping online and hitting a few stores, I picked up a food processor yesterday.

I’ve been wondering how to break the fast. I was thinking some BPC-lite before church. Then after church something a bit more. Maybe a can of tuna with some mayo, olive oil and a little relish. Any ideas? On my last fast I don’t remember for sure. I think I has a fews nuts and some BPC lite.

Here is to day 12 :+1:

Careful…after an extended fast, you may want to wait until after church to break your fast…just in case…if you know what I mean…:boom::toilet::scream:

Good job holding out on your fast regimen…bravo!!!

(Zack F) #46

Day 11.5 (no it’s not a typo)

Well I broke my fast…last night! My dear expecting wife was feeling nauseous last night but wanted to eat something because that usually helps. Nothing sounded good. I suggested biscuits and she said why not? I whipped up some from the cheddar biscuit thread (HT: @WhoAteMyPsyche ) She ate one and thought it was fine. What the heck I ate one slowly. I experienced no adverse reactions and so l had another one about an hour later. They were delicious. Thank you Ashley. Before bed I had probably an 1/2 ounce of walnuts and pecans each, extremely slowly. I am by nature the scarfing type though working hard to improve on that.

Slept great. I did experience a leg cramp. I got up and downed some magnesium and salt. Over the next thirty minutes took in another 32 ounces of water. I’m sure the eating caused the dehydration. I didn’t drink much last night. Feel great now. I had BPC-lite before church. I used 1 tbs of both MCTs and butter. No adverse action either. We brunched with bacon and eggs. Here I am now typing this.

I’ll take some readings again tomorrow. Last night I snapped some “after” photos. I’ll prepare a before/after posting along with a few “very” before pictures later in the week.

(Louise ) #47

Great work @ZackF - what an inspirational account!

(Ashley Haddock) #48

Sounds like a great fast, and a great way to end it. I’m glad you enjoyed the biscuits!

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #49

Congratulations on the fast! Thanks for keeping us informed.

(Keto in Katy) #50

Good thread, I enjoyed reading about your experience. Thanks for posting it.

(Zack F) #51

Last Night’s Numbers (about 24 hrs post fast)

BG 78mg / 4.3 mmol
Ketones 1.9 mmol

This morning
Weight 255.0 lbs / 115.7 kg
BG 71 mg / 3.9 mmol
Ketones 3.4 mmol

Enjoyed my WOW this morning!

(Michelle) #52

awesome!! Congrats to you on such a long fast. Interested in a few weeks post fast too if you care to share.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

(Crow T. Robot) #53

Thanks for the diary, it was very interesting reading and also informative. :+1:

(Zack F) #54

Thanks all of you. I’ll be keeping up with updates in this forum. I don’t plan on going anywhere. Here is a photo set.

(Yori Bargil) #55

I am currently day 7 thinking of 10 days or so fast
I read your experience and want to congratulate you for a successful fast
I am curious the rate of weight back for the days since end you fast
I previously did couple of 8 days and gain it all back within a week or two.
like to know what do you experience.

(Zack F) #56

I’ve regained about five pounds. It leveled off yesterday. Weighed in at 259.4 this morning. 259.8 yesterday. We’ll see. I had one day where I had some carbage. Went back to the straight and narrow yesterday after Wednesdays detour. I have no desire to go back to SAD or a moderate carb diet. I