Swerve

(Melissa ) #1

Typically I’m one not to replace sugar with any sweeteners, I’m ok without sugar in my life. That being said, I’ve seen a lot of people who use swerve while on keto. Any thoughts on swerve? It would be nice to have something to bake with on occasion. Thanks so much! :slight_smile:

(Rob) #2

I’m new to keto and sugar substitutes , but my only problem with erythritol (I haven’t personally used the Swerve brand but have heard there can be a similar issue) is that it is tough to dissolve. I use the granular but I’ve heard people can have the same issue with confectioners/powdered style. First batch of fat bombs I made it was obvious nothing was dissolved.

I looked up several potential solutions. The one that worked best for me was heating up some coconut oil that I was going to use anyway and dissolving the erythritol in the heated coconut oil. The coconut oil didn’t have to cool much (it was still hot to the touch) before the erythritol started to crystalize/harden. Erythritol is a little less sweet than sugar … you may end up adjusting your recipes.

Some people have reported some digestive issues with it. I haven’t experienced that. Lots of information available on erythritol … some of it conflicting (now there’s a surprise!).

Dissolving it has been my only issue and there are work arounds. I haven’t noticed any aftertaste like I have with other sugar substitutes. Your mileage may vary.

(Brandy Fischbach) #3

I’ve used regular erythritol and Swerve confectioners. I haven’t had any problem with the confectioners dissolving. The granular though doesn’t disolve. If you are baking with it though, it would be fine. If it is a no bake recipe, it may be a little grainy from the erythritol. Also too much can cause diarrhea. My son tried to make some hot tea with erythritol (he used way too much) and had some “issues.” LOL

(Jay AM) #4

Swerve is good for baking or liquid stevia. Note that some people have an insulin response to even artificial sweeteners.

Nor have I. I made some pretty great cocoa butter & coconut flake “things” the other day.

(Steve) #6

Though Swerve is a little ambiguous with their information, others have said that Swerve is actually a combination of Stevia and Erythritol - so you can use it as a 1:1 replacement for sugar.
Straight Erythritol is only about 70% the sweetness of sugar.

There’s a good conversion chart for the various options here:

Edit: I too, haven’t had any problems using the granular Swerve…it dissolves with heat in liquids.
I did have some gastronomical distress by putting too much of it into my coffee however (but everyone’s different) :slight_smile:

I despise the pure taste of stevia personally and I enjoy erythritol. However erythritol isnt not as sweet as what id like so I sub in a TINY amount of stevia. I feel the combo of the two really works for my personal taste.

(Brian) #8

I actually kinda like the Pyure version of their granulated sweetener. It’s a blend of erythritol and stevia but they call for using it at 1/2 the amount as regular sugar. I believe they just use more stevia but it IS sweeter.

Not all may agree, and I would admit that it has a bit more of that stevia “whang” to the taste. But I still like it.

Something I’ve had a hard time with Swerve with is baking. I’ll mix up something, taste the batter, and think, “dang, this is gonna be good”, And then when I bake it and take it out of the oven, I think, “dang, did I forget to put the sweetener in it?” At least that’s what it does to my taste. I’ve theorized that some of the sugar alcohols might bake off during their time in the oven but that theory hasn’t gone far in conversation. (?)

So I kinda think it’s a good idea to play around with various products to see if there is maybe one or two that you like best, and whether they get along with you.

(Ron) #9

I go this route but be careful as it has a small amount of carbs in it so don’t go crazy.

(Jennifer ) #10

I used Anthony’s bulk erythritol. I do a ton of baking and it’s never let me down, and you can’t beat the bulk price. It’s on amazon.

Ive TOTALLY experienced the same thing you mentioned about baking with stevia or a sugar alcohol. Ive made chocolate avacado brownies and a lemon cheesecake where both batters tasted awesome, but after being cooked they didnt taste nearly as sweet.

Could be the heat degrading the molecule or the large amounts of fats more or less stifling the flavor?

(Brian) #12

I don’t know, but THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing your experience. I had started to think it was just me.

Just out of curiosity, have you tried any of the monk fruit sweeteners? I haven’t yet but think maybe I should, just to see how I like them.

I really like Swerve. Stevia tastes horrible to me! I haven’t tried any of the monk fruit sweeteners, but curious to give them a try! I’m one of the ones who likes to have something a little sweet. I usually do a chocolate fluff kind of thing with marscapone, 2T of unsweetened cocoa, 1T of Swerve, 1t of vanilla extract and a splash of HWC. I’ll have a spoon full or two after dinner with dessert if I don’t do a couple squares of chocolate. It keeps me satisfied.

(Jan) #14

I have just started using Lakanto Monkfruit/erythritol blend, and I’m in love! I don’t really use much sweeteners since starting Keto a year and a half ago, but I really like my coffee sweetened. I bought the “golden” lakanto, and it us AWESOME. Tastes like brown sugar, and it is really good in my morning coffee. Bakes well, too. And is fine-ground enough to dissolve well in most things.

(Ron) #15

I don’t really use sweeteners much either but when I do I use this. Low GI and minimal calories and taste like real sugar to me.

Lite and Sweet Natural Erythritol and Xylitol Sweetener Blend, 4gr Sachets, 100 Count

(Diane) #16

If you choose to use/try xylitol, be aware, it is very toxic to dogs. I have used Sukrin, Sukrin Melis (confectioners/powdered), and Sukrin Gold (brown sugar substitute). It is an erythritol and stevia blend, but I like it better than Swerve. I think it tastes less like stevia. Others in my family don’t taste any difference.

(Ron) #17

xylitol is toxic to dogs so you have to keep it out of reach is all. Lite sweet is a blend of xylitol and erythritol and being in sugar packets is easy to add to drinks , ice creams , puddings , coffee , tea , etc without that grainy taste.

I use swerve a lot, it’s good stuff! Try it and you’ll see.

Don’t trust a fart until you’re sure how you respond.

(Brian) #20

I have been using it. But I don’t find it as sweet as sugar even though they claim you can use it 1:1. The flavor is really good, though, and I haven’t had any of the “cooling effect” that I’ve noticed that some people do.

Last time I got it, I got some of the granular and some of the powdered Swerve. I sometimes make a whipped cream topping for various things and last night I made some. I usually just pop in some granulated and it comes out just fine. I used the last of one bag of granulated and it wasn’t enough so I put a little powdered Swerve in just to fill out the amount I needed. I was surprised that it was grainy. I’ve never had it be grainy with just the granulated, which I know sounds wrong, but it’s true. I had thought the powdered was supposed to keep it from being grainy. Hmmm. Not quite what I expected.

So I’m not quite as in love with Swerve as I wanted to be. I’m still using what I have, I’m not gonna throw it out. But I’ll definitely continue exploring.