Swelling during exercise

Not asking about myself, but rather my teenage daughter. She loves dancing and gymnastics, though currently has no possibility of learning much mire gymnastics than the little ahe learned when living in a somewhat larger town.

Her hands/wrists always swell a little when doing pretty much any exercise. I also noticed that her ankles swell if she strains them just a little, like by dancing in high heels.

There is no pain or discomfort, just the slight swelling. I know it isn’t uncommon, and doesn’t seem dangerous, but has anyone here had experience with alleviating factors? Does proper keto or salt help?

(Full Metal KETO AF) #2

It helped me, edema has been a long time problem for me. Poor circulation and gravity (damn gravity!). I was on dialysis for ten years and it was worse then, I got a kidney transplant about almost a year and a half ago and even with a new kidney I still retained water (eating SAD). When I started keto it mostly cleared up but I get a little in my lower leg if I am on my feet an extra long time. But it goes away pretty fast when it does happen, a big change from a chronic condition.

I see. The swelling in her ankles went away quickly when she removed the straining factor, so I guess that might be because she is low carb. And most likely often dips into ketosis. Her metabolism is young and strong enough that she’s slimmed down even with near daily berries and banana…

(Carl Keller) #4

This thread might be helpful. @SlowBurnMary’s response seems to almost address your daughter’s issue directly:

(Allan Misner) #5

I usually recommend two things:

1. Rest - in the event there is an injury of some sort
  2. Remove any inflammatory foods (most of which happens on keto)