Sweeteners!

(Hector S) #1

Ok…Keto friends, I’ve been on Keto for TWO YEARS! Lost weight and have done great. But…I’ve had a dirty little secret, I’VE USED LIQUID SUCRALOSE in my coffee and recipes! I didn’t want to admit it because everyone would start chiding me!

So recently, I made the switch…I bought Sweet Leaf liquid stevia. I lasted for about a week…and now I’m DONE! I’m going back to liquid sucralose wether I get ejected from this community or not. It tastes so much better!

Can someone help me remember how Carl and Richard taught us to test our reactions to sweeteners? I know I’ve heard it but I can’t remember and I know it’s using a glucometer. Can anyone shed light on this??

(Eve) #2

Check your fasting blood glucose level then eat sweetner and nothing else. Then Check it again half an hour later. If it goes up it’s spiking your blood sugar, if it goes down it’s causing an insulin reaction. If it stays the same you’re good. This is how I understand it.

Also what’s wrong with sucralose? I don’t use it but I want aware that it wasn’t approved.

(I want abs... olutely all the bacon) #3

Richard’s curve blog post

(I want abs... olutely all the bacon) #4

Congratulations for your 2 year success! I wouldn’t worry if you’ve been successful, but testing is always good if you’re struggling or fine tuning.

I just recently tested my reaction to liquid Splenda Zero (sucralose) and the main limitation was in the accuracy of my meter.

(Ashley Haddock) #6

If that particular sweetener works for you and you like it, I say go for it and don’t give a crap what anyone thinks.

No chiding from me, enjoy your liquid sucralose and good work choosing something that doesn’t use maltodextrin or dextrose in the powders that are hidden sources of carbs.

I used the liquid Sweet Leaf Stevia and thought it was gross, and switched to Trader Joe’s Organic Liquid Stevia which tastes much better to me. To me, the Sweet Leaf has the bitter taste that some people report whereas the Trader Joe’s version doesn’t.

Whatever works for you… KCKO!

While problems can exist with any sweetener, or with keeping up a sweet taste in general, I wouldn’t expect this community to hate you much for it. I thought Richard uses Sucralose frequently (I’m sure I’ve heard him mention such on the podcast a few times), so I’d expect anyone that would hate on that use too much wouldn’t join this community.

I’d like to get away from sweets to an extent myself, but I do still get a bit and keep trying out different sweeteners to make certain things for myself and my family (who are not keto). The thing with stevia is, from what I can tell, the specific product really makes a big difference. I’ve tried a couple and they do have different levels of bad after taste, and from reviews I’ve read you’ll even find the SAME product will sometimes change it’s formula and go from terrible to good or good to terrible. It’s a messy, complicated world there. I’m hoping something like MycoZyme and their bitter blocking enyzme mixed with stevia will make it to market and be a good thing, but you never know what other effects that will have. Stevia seems cool, but can be a pain to go with the expense, so I usually prefer other sweeteners as well.

(eat more) #9

i’m having vanilla bean liquid sucralose in my coffee as i type and i’ve seen that one of our 2 dudes uses sucralose
i don’t think this is an ejecting kind of community…at least not over your personal sweetener choice :blush:
KCKO

(betsy.rome) #10

Has anyone self-tested erythritol, Sukrin or Swerve?

(Jacquie) #11

I’ve tested Swerve using a strict BG protocol and it was okay for me. Folks need to test for themselves to know for sure.

I’ve been in a stall for over a week. Just discovered last night, that the old sucralose packets I’ve been using have maltodextrin in them, although the box says <1 carb. The sweeteners are so confusing to me. I bought some erythritol to make fat bombs, but it’s so expensive and you need to use so much. Also bought a jar of Splenda powder, but concerned about that as I see now, most use the liquid. I feel I’m now out of ketosis again and getting discouraged. Please tell me best and hopefully affordable sweeteners for baking and fat bombs. Thank you for listening.