Sweet taste in mouth

(LeeAnn Brooks) #1

I know I’ve read this somewhere, but I tried searching and didn’t see what I was looking for.

What’s with the weird sweet taste in my mouth? I’ve had it for a while, but it’s been more subtle than recently. Now if almost sickening sweet. I’m getting gushes of sweet saliva. And I haven’t eaten anything remotely sweet.

Any way to counter this? Its not pleasant at all.

(back and doublin' down) #2

I’m not sure about counter measures…other than stuff like brushing teeth, maybe chewing on some mint (I miss having that in my flowerbed).

I swear I can ‘taste’ fat in the mornings and sometimes when I am fasting. Seems natural that as we continue on keto we are changing the composition of our bodies and that would include saliva and other fluids our bodies produce. Can’t remember where I read it, but these symptoms do come and go.

KCKO!

(Chris W) #3

some people have a reaction to the acetone your body is producing, it often smells or tastes sweet I have heard it compared to honeysuckle I don’t know what that smells like though.

(Consensus is Politics) #4

Wow. Not heard of that before with keto. The closest thing to this I experienced was while curled up in pain on the floor with a kidney stone, I felt like I was going to vomit. I grabbed a bucket, and instead of wretching when I opened my mouth, my saliva glands dumped about 1/2 a cup of salt water. I mean SALT water. It tasted like it held as much salt as it possibly could and still be in solution. It was the strangest thing. That’s the point I went to the ER for that stone. The doctor commented when I told him about it, “yeah, that happpens”, and walks away. Me thinking, wait… tell me more! :cowboy_hat_face:

(Consensus is Politics) #5

When I was a kid, we would go around looking for honeysuckles and drink the dew(?) out of them. It was slightly sweet. As I think back now, I think it tasted a bit like heavy water (not H2O but D2O, or deuterium).

(Alec) #6

I’ve been tasting butter. Then I realised it was that my whole mouth was leaking cream from my chain coffee drinking habit… coffee with cream of course!! :stuck_out_tongue::crazy_face:

(Chris W) #7

Ok one has to ask,
Why do you know what nuclear reactor water tastes like, and were did you drink it?

(Consensus is Politics) #8

I made it. It’s not very difficult. It’s just a very lengthy process.

Making it is a misnomer. Maybe I should say distilled it. I had heard that in pretty much any given amount of H2O there would be some D2O present. It has a higher boiling point, as well as a higher vapor point. So if you constantly distill water in a vessel at just the right temperature, the H2O vapors off and the concentration of D2O in the vessel increases. You just keep adding fresh water to what’s left in the vessel.

I think I did this when I was about 13 or 14 yrs old. Since then I have learned it would not be a good thing to drink much of it. Luckily all I did was taste it.

I soon got bored with that and began my HHO gas experiments. I had theorized that Oxygen would come of the anode, and hydrogen from the cathode. To test it I did it very simple. Collect the gasses in test tubes and put a match to them. The oxygen test tube simply made a large flame inside. But the hydrogen :scream:. Wow… the flame shot out of the test tube about four feet long. The test tube was held between my thumb and forefinger. It turned a bright yellow/orange color, and got very slippery. It slid right out of my fingers and fell into the vat of water I was performing my electrolysis in. When the tube hit the water it shattered. At that moment I registered the burning pain in my fingers. It melted the skin and slid out. I very quickly dunked my fingers into the water vat (remembering that you need to cook a burn as soon as possible, every second counts). Problem being my electrolysis set up was still powered on. Yeah, it hurt. Lesson learned. After that I began to draft out all my experiments as detailed as I could :sunglasses:.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #9

When we electrolysed water in chemistry class, the teacher would make us hold the test tube with tongs before applying the match. Now I know why!