Surprise Discussion

Hey y’all.
Just a quick recommendation for someone in your family or a friend (or you) who might be interested but doesn’t want to wade through too much scientific detail as to why most medical and dietary advice is absolute BULLSHIT
I’m reading Dr. Ken Berry’s book Lies My Doctor Told Me: Medical Myths That Can Harm Your Health
It’s a good read and it’s written in a much more down to earth fashion that a lot of the heavier stuff I read. I’m really enjoying it.
https://www.amazon.com/Lies-My-Doctor-Told-Me/dp/0999090518/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1511956725&sr=8-1&keywords=lies+my+doctor+told+me

He also has a good youtube channel, Jimmy Moore has an interview with him, too. I wish I could find a Dr like this guy.

(Sophie) #42

Thanks for the rec., looks interesting. I added the book to my xmas wish list and will check out the Youtube channel!

(CharleyD) #43

Yep, just added Lies and Deep Nutrition to my Santa’s list too!

Wish there was something I could do, aside from looking better than ever, that would get through to my dad, who’s completely flipped and gone to the other side around the time I discovered keto.

Dr. Shanahan’s explanation of the purpose of what we used to be told was “junk” DNA is pretty fascinating to me. Hope you enjoy them.

(CharleyD) #45

Does it involve smoking stuff with old south American shaman, or a sense deprivation tank? Wait, nevermind, don’t spoil it for me :smile:

One of the things I like about Dr Berry is that he flat out says in his book several times “Therefore, if you are told this medical lie by a doctor, I suggest that you get up and walk out of his office before he finishes his next sentence. He is either unread, lazy or both, and you can do better for your health.”
I freakin’ love that!

“[…] Does this make me want to grab energy drinks, energy bars, and fruit juices out of people’s hands? You bet. Not just because sugar causes illness, but because sugar-induced problems pull otherwise healthy people into a medical system that loses revenue when people are healthy. It needs them - meaning you - to be sick. That’s why I’m giving you all the details. Hospitals, clinics, and much of the medical industry depend on keeping you in the dark. But your genes depend on you to learn the truth about what it takes to eat right.”

• from Deep Nutrition by Dr. Cate Shanahan

(Sophie) #48

I’ve watched a few of Dr. Berry’s vids. I really like him. Makes me wish I lived closer to Nashville!

(CharleyD) #49

I got Deep Nutrition for Christmas and I can’t put it down. This is EXACTLY what I’ve been looking for.

Practical ways to feed your DNA/genes for the best health. Should be mandatory reading here!

Yep, it’s a great book. I read it much quicker than I thought I would considering it’s not an “easy” read. I’m currently reading Undoctored by Dr William Davis.

(Consensus is Politics) #51

But… sometime a cigar is… well, you know.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #52

And I thought it was just MY husband😂. Suggesting a trip to the ER usually stops the dramatics.

(Darlene Horsley) #53

Lol. Good one! I’ll have to remember that one!

I realize this thread is old, but I wanted to post about what happened when I went last week to get my hair cut, and I think this is the right place for it.

I hadn’t been in for a haircut for 5 weeks, and although I’ve been Keto since Jan 1, I have definitely lost more weight in just the past two months than I had before (I’m down 30 lbs,which I am very happy about). Anyway, I walked into the shop, and the hairdresser looked at me and said, “What have you been up to?” I was pretty certain I knew what she was asking, but just in case, I asked her what she meant. She said, “you’re looking very svelte.” I thanked her, and then launched into telling her all about Keto. She immediately got it and also got very excited. She said she was going to start that weekend, so I told her about the 2Keto Dudes podcast and this forum. I can’t wait to go back and see how she’s doing - I normally go in more like every 4 weeks - but I may have to just stop by to hear how it’s going.
It felt really great to be able to offer someone such a powerful tool for health. I talked as much about how Keto has pretty much resolved the depression and anxiety I have lived with for decades as I did about the weight loss. Again, she got it immediately.
Once again, I want to thank everyone on this forum, but especially Richard and Carl, for providing such fantastic resources. It would have been harder to recommend Keto to her if I hadn’t known there was such guidance easily available.