Surprise Discussion

Nah, just get some Firefly. Made on Wadmalaw Island and totally legit.
Cheers! :sunglasses:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #22

Brraaaiiiinzzz! Definitely keto, by the way. . . . :wink:

And for serious: My sister turned me on to Mucinex (generic is much cheaper, of course) which, it turns out, is simply guaifenesin cough syrup in pill form. You can even get it with dextromethorphan–so who needs Nyquil. (As a matter of fact, my first drunk was on Nyquil; I was about eleven. Turns out it’s slightly higher-proof than Scotch!)

Nice. I have had success getting people to eat fewer carbs, but so far haven’t found anyone willing to cut them even to my level, which is low carb but not keto. But still, any reduction in carbs is a good thing! Sometimes even when people seem resistant to your ideas, they take them and mull on them and learn more and absorb it slowly. My Dad at 74 decided he was ready to lose weight and did a lot of what I told him, and lost 50 pounds over the past 2 years. Separately my Mom who is also obese and T2D completely dismissed any suggestions. But she is just doesn’t like being told what to do, and I saw her slowly absorb the ideas. They have just gotten back together after 35 years divorced and want to be healthy, so now he’s having an effect on her behavior. Everything builds on everything else.

(KCKO, KCFO) #24

Ahh, this needs more than one heart. How cool is that, getting back together after all those years. :revolving_hearts::two_hearts::sparkling_heart::cupid:

(Naomi Brewster) #25

I got so evangelistic after I started to see the benefits of keto in my life. My dad who is 72 (but a very old 72) was initially interested but quite quickly rebelled and determinedly ate his fruit cake and biscuits etc. It took a lot of will power for me to stop talking and just let him be. Slowly slowly he has started coming around. He still has tonnes of sugar in the form of fruit but has drastically cut back on baked goods - all on his own without my nagging. It’s not keto but is a step in the right direction. It is hard to sit by and watch people who you know would feel better off sugar and not say anything (or it is for me). I have to remember it took me a while to make the decision to get well and be healthy too.

Yeah, my dad used to eat 5 pieces of fruit for lunch and thought that was good :slight_smile: And at least 2 bananas a day. He really had no idea there was a difference between fruits and vegetables.

(Nancy M Kenny) #27

Thank you for the wonderful story. Lately, I’ve been struggling and this was just the thing I needed to keep me on track!! Well done!

(Kelly Mullen) #28

Love it! You have inspired me to open my mouth and talk about what I do. I have been keeping quiet because when I talk about keto I get alot of arguments and I talk about new research which seems to fall on deaf ears. But maybe it isn’t. Maybe some enjoy the argument and secretly go home and research it…lol!!

And fasting…people thinking I’m starving myself and dying.

Thank you

(Jack Brien) #29

Don’t mention the fasting! People think you’re mad and going to have a heart attack on keto, but they’ll think you have an eating disorder if you fast!

(Sophie) #30

Yeah, I get sick of hearing the responses to fasting too. So I tell them, don’t mention that to the Catholics at Lent, and don’t mention that to the Muslims at Ramadan, and be sure to let your Doctor know the next time he orders tests or procedures for you that must be done on an empty stomach, etc, etc. :roll_eyes:

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #31

I used that on someone the other day and they looked at me like I had a third arm growing out of my forehead.

(VLC.MD) #32

Don’t call it fasting call it resting your body ?

(Jack Brien) #33

I call it I’m not hungry

(Kelly) #34

What’s white lightning ?

Moonshine, corn whiskey.

To badly co-opt an old movie line - Then there’s corn, which any damn fool can eat, but for which the Lord had a higher purpose. :smiley:

I was helping out at our local theater last night (kids are in the Christmas show) and I had Dr Cate Shanahan’s book Deep Nutrition with me. One of the ladies there saw the cover and asked about nutrition. I warned her that how I eat may seem shocking…then I told her how I eat. I’m not a big guy so I don’t think she was quite prepared for the brief description of my dietary habits. Hopefully she’ll ask for more info. :grin:

As for the book- it’s really good so far and very interesting but is not a quick read.

(Keith Johnston) #37

This Thanksgiving my mother-in-law kept trying to get me to eat various things and every time I replied back “there’s sugar in it, so no”. The first bunch of times she laughed it off like “oh silly boy” but after 4 days of doing this it hit her just how much sugar is in everything we eat and usually consider healthy.

She’s still annoying me and trying to get me to eat things, but she’s actually getting closer to things I can eat…last night she asked if I could eat, and did I like, avocado!

(Kirsten) #38

I’ve been thinking the same thing. Now the official “High Blood Pressure” is 130/80, lots more people will be placed on these drugs and told to eat the “low sodium, low fat” diet that got them there in the first place.

I always wondered why that (NyQuil) tastes so good!
:non-potable_water:

(Sophie) #40

Fuckin scary, isn’t it?! Like the snake swallowing it’s tail.