Surprise Discussion

(migorstmarseille) #1

I had a great moment on Sunday.

My band plays a church once a month as part of their services, and after the service there’s a potluck. A month ago I was sitting with my plate of meatballs and cheese and was asked by a man at the table why I wasn’t eating anything else. I explained to him my situation as a metabolically deranged T2D/Pre-diabetic and how eating keto/low-carb had reversed my T2D. This intrigued him, as he was T2D for some time and was not having much success, and in fact was rather miserable and frustrated with the resources he’d been given to deal with his diagnosis, dietarily speaking. I told him in some detail how I started on the low-carb/keto diet, and I sent him to the 2 Keto Dudes Podcast and dietdoctor.com. I went home and forgot about it.

I walked into the church this past Sunday and the man was sitting in the church lobby, talking to some folks. He said hi and reminded me of our conversation which I had completely forgot. He lit up as he said “I took your advice and have been eating low carb the last month. I’m down 15 pounds and my blood sugars top out at about 110!” He was quite happy, as was his wife. It felt good to help someone who has the same issues I do, see them “take the ball and run”, so to speak.

It’s good to have another person regain their health after a long time of not being able to do so. So happy for this WOE, the forum and the podcast(s). KCKO!

(matt ) #2

Well done! Pay it forward!

(Richard Morris) #3

Excellent - that’s why we do what we do.

(VLC.MD) #4

@richard send @migorstmarseille a free pack of 50 2 Keto dudes cards :+1:

(Richard Morris) #5

We need to print some of those - good call :slight_smile:

(Bunny) #6

It really enrages and disgusts, and makes me cringe when I look at all the fast food establishments, going to the grocery store and looking at how much sugar is in everything, it is like a secret conspiracy (hate conspiracy theories) by the food and medical industries (e.g. government sanctioned food pyramid, American Diabetes Association, AMA etc.) to make sure every-one aquires some kind of illness/disease (e.g. dependence on metformin and insulin to support a sugar addiction habit) from the promotion of excessive exogenic sugar consumption and purposely kill everyone (so they are not consciously aware of what is being done) slowly or impair the quality of there life?

Why can’t they (food manufactures) put a quarter of the sugar in everything (like e.g. Mexican/Spanish pastries)? (probably to keep us addicted?)

Problem is, if I say anything I get accused of promoting pseudoscience (when it’s not!) or slammed with the (quote) “your crazy” or “your dumb\stupid” scenario!

I genuinely care about people but there is nothing I can do unless people get a clue and want to listen!

It is like being trapped in a science fiction nightmare of a brainwashed, zombie (feed me brains\sugar!) like society who can’t see the forrest for the trees or being trapped in a surreal Cassandra Complex like nightmare…

The only time people listen is when the Grim Reaper is knocking on their door (he wants to have a little chat) and what ever they have is eating them alive (might be too late to do anything?) from consuming so much sugar and in some cases still won’t listen and will still eat sugar and high carbs while getting some kind(?) of e.g. cancer treatments, not realizing anti-oxidants or holistic remedies and chemo or what have you(?) will not work in the presence of high excessive glucose (acts an inhibitor and cannot get into the cells to do any good!) because it will block it…

I hear you.

While I do not believe there is a matrix designed to keep us sick, I think most people do not know what is healthy. I consider myself reasonably well educated in matters of health (for someone without a science background). I have been involved in one way or another of trying to fix my weight for most of the last 40 years.

A year ago I was eating moderate carb, no flour, no gluten, restricted (but not eliminated) sugar. When I stuck to it I was losing weight slowly but the problem was I would cheat at any excuse, weddings, Bar Mitzvah, nice restaurants, sister in law made cookies and so on. I genuinely believed it was better to add a spoonful of real sugar to my coffee than artificial sugar (trained myself to add nothing). As for dairy, I did think that 1% or 2% was equally good as whole and would alternate what milk I bought. I thought full fat was probably ok but not a good idea every day. I had never heard that you should moderate protein.

I do not think it is a conspiracy, I think there is a lack of education based on a lack of consensus as to what it a healthy diet. Scientist believe, instead of knowing and that causes a problem. Science should not be about belief, it should be about empirical data. When I read a study abstract a year ago, I believed what they said or at least that it was true for that set of people under those conditions. I had no idea that the old saying, lies, damn lies and statistics belonged equally to double blind experiments, especially those concerning diet or diabetes.

I do not blame fast food, I do not even blame those that produce genetically modified crops or high fructose corn producers, they are trying to make a profit and are not overly concerned with long term results. Maybe some do not believe or care about the long term. In some ways we have not evolved that much from the chemicals are your friends of the 1960s where unless someone dropped dead after exposure to a chemical preferably next to the container it was not considered to be bad! They add HFCS not because they want to make us sick but because it is cheaper and there is science supporting the view that it is the same as sucrose.

I do blame organizations that tell people with diabetes its ok to have 15-30 carbs per meal. I do blame those that set the standard of care that tells nutritionists and doctors that a no carb diet is unacceptable for a T2. The standard needs to be changed. If patients are unable or unwilling to comply, that is their choice but for the patient who is compliant and wants to get healthy, there needs to be a diet standard change. To many patients have no idea what they should really be eating

(Darlene Horsley) #8

What a great Pay It Forward story!

Well, not to be conspiritorial… Oh what the hell… There’s a lot of corporate incest between the companies that make the sugar, the companies that make the crappy “food”, and the companies that make the drugs to treat the effects… and they all spend obscene amounts of money keeping the status quo.

For now what we can do is pay it forward. Try to save the ones who want to be healthy.

(Darlene Horsley) #10

I recently discovered that NyQuil has high-fructose corn syrup in it! What the hell for?!!! Even the NyQuil liquicaps. Definitely no need for it there. SMDH!

(Todd Allen) #11

Thanks for giving me a new way of looking at things…

SUGAR ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE!

I don’t ever take stuff like that. When I get sick, which is rare, I have slightly more natural treatment that is much tastier.

(Darlene Horsley) #13

I try not to take it either. My go to is hot ginger tea made with fresh ginger. The man-colds that occasionally occur here require swilling Nyquil while thinking they invented the cold and that it’s the worst one that’s ever been caught! Lol Gotta love 'em.

(KCKO, KCFO) #14

Used to be my go to OTC med for sinus/colds. When I bothered to read the lable, I tossed it out. I’m ok with some locally grown honey, even some maple syrup in very small amounts, but HFCS, sends me round the bend.

Todd, too funny. Keto Zombies Confront the Sugar Zombies, coming to a theater near you soon.

Local honey, lemon, and white lightning right before bed. I nearly lost my voice right before a weekend of live theater shows. This took care of it.
I know honey can be problematic for some of y’all but the medicinal properties are pretty awesome.

(Jennifer) #16

I have manuka honey on hand for medicinal use. It is great for washing down the fire cider (master tonic)…

(Naomi Brewster) #17

I recently watched Gary Fettke’s talk at Brekenridge and he made this point - that it is difficult for governments to make the necessary changes as they have lobbyists in their ears and the research is often funded by people who have a vested interest in keeping the current health guidelines in place.

Politicians, of course, have a vested interest in staying in office and these lobbyists and companies also fund the politicians. So called first world governments are no less (maybe more) corrupt than the third world ones.

(Darlene Horsley) #19

I used local honey for allergies in the spring. Come this first spring of my KETO life maybe I won’t need to! That would be a bonus wouldn’t it?!!!
And White Lightning will cure anything! LOL

(Sophie) #20

Gee, thanks, now I have to look up a local moonshiner! lol :smile: