Super-fit Former Australian Ironman died from heart attack

(A ham loving ham! - VA6KD) #1

Firstly, let me say that Dean Mercer was an Australian hero and a stand out citizen. I met him in person in the late 90’s and watched several of his competitions. His heart attack was a tragic and sudden end to a very much loved person by all that knew him.

So, why this post? The media is now shifting to “why” did Dean die of a heart attack. I’ve been reading the comments and it’s interesting to see the amount of miss-information around the driving factors to heart attack susceptibility. Some of the comments are saying things like he was super-fit, a fitness role-model, it the best physical condition possible, etc. Some of the comments have descended into arguments about fitness, lifestyle choices and weight issues.

The experts are saying that it was from years of endurance training that pushed his heart to the limit.

I just wanted to point out that sometimes, fitness and endurance are no guarantee of heart health.

(Sheri Knauer) #2

What a shame. Id be interested to know what kind of a diet he ate as we know exercise alone does not guarantee good health if it is note paired with a good diet.

I’ve read a lot of Mark Sisson’s posts about the dangers of too much intense cardio. Here’s one. He has ways that he recommends that folks do endurance training but it keeps heart rates lower for most of the time.

That’s the health/research side of things since that’s part of the discussion above, but mostly - how sad for the family! four young children…