Sunflower oil in Tuna can

(Keto Koala 🐨) #21

I hate wasting food too. Yup there are cats around here but I don’t think the neibours would be too happy about it :joy:. Hey, great idea, the food bank. Why didn’t I think of that!! Me who buys sanitary napkins for the homeless (arghhhh a moth just flew on my face!!). I’m always giving to charity so great idea. Yes, wasting food does not sit well with me. So I’ll take em to charity tomorrow. I’m sure it’s bound to make someone happy :joy:.

yea my horse barns would have all kinds of cats in it and I would put out dry food for all the cats that ended up here on the farm. Seems like I was feeding the world around here at one point LOL

yea any misfortune you make at the store can be great food for another.
COOL you got a local food bank. And you will make someone happy!!

Every year we would take 1 big hog from our livestock and process it with our local slaughterhouse owned by our friend and donate it to the local food kitchen. And we would also take a bunch of whatever in season crops we were growing in the fields at the time for donation also. Then we would donate like 25 dozen eggs from our hens also on a donation.

It is good you have a local place to take things to help others~! Love it

(Keto Koala 🐨) #23

I used to volunteer at a food kitchen for the homeless. Met some great people. Lonely people who just wanted a full belly and a chat. I ended up quitting though cos this scary guy came in and started hitting on me. Apart from that it was really rewarding. I also volunteered at Yaps, young animal protection. Would buy dog and cat food and bring it in. It was great and I got to play with all the cuddly furbabies. I also did some work in a rehab when I was 20. I was the house supervisor and had a little desk with a computer and ran group’s ect. That was amazing experience, simply amazing. I loved it. Making people happy and if course animals gives me a natural high. It’s addictive to see someone smile. In hospital they kept telling me to go back to my bed. I kept sneaking off to the cafe to buy the other patients flowers if they had no visitors. Haha yep, we too have had been cats. A black one turned up one day and just decided to stay forever :joy::joy::joy:

That was wonderful to read how giving you are!

Hey as you get better and more improved thru your eating and you will get wonderful energy from your changes, maybe some new volunteer work could enlighten your life a bit…….you never know, but I gotta say with clean eating one gets way more energy longer on plan and we need to use it up…helping someone or a pet shelter is a good way to use up energy! One doesn’t think so many life changes in our paths as we get healthier and healthier but it sure happens that way for many!

Yea cats adopt people I think…heehee

Great post B!

(Keto Koala 🐨) #25

I love reading books, like literally ANY book and I would love to go and read to people in an old folks home. I have a really clear reading voice and can do all the voices. I read to my partner every single night to put them to sleep. I stroke their head and read out loud. We call it “Bedtime stories”. :blush:. I did an age care course when I was 19 but ended up doing the racehorse stables instead. When I was in hospital, there was an old lady who didn’t know where she was. She just stood in the corner with scared sad eyes and was cuddling a soft toy for comfort. It broke my friggin heart. I went over to her and took her hand and walked her very slowly to her hospital bedroom. She had dementia I think. She kept saying "Where am I ". I spotted het and tucked her into bed and stroked her head and sat with her. She was so confused. But two weeks later, she was feeling better and came up to me and gave me a big hug and said I was kinder than the nurses. It warmed my heart. Elderly patients need respect and I’ve heard some awful stories about the neglect some cop in homes. There is a petition here to install camera to make sure the staff are being nice and doing their job. We ALL get old so yeah respect!! Xx​:blush:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #26

In short, no. Hydrogenated oils are created in a chemical reaction purposely to make the vegetable oil have extended shelf life in frankenfood processed carbohydrate foods like crackers, snack cakes and cookies so they don’t go rancid on the shelf or in your cabinet before you get to them. It’s trying to imitate the non reactive qualities of saturated fat. In the US we have a law requiring junk food manufacturers to phase out hydrogenated fats and replace them with tropical saturated fats like coconut and palm oil by the year 2022 I believe it is. If you buy polyunsaturated vegetable oil that’s a liquid at room temperature it’s not hydrogenated and highly reactive with oxygen, it goes rancid in months. If you take cottonseed oil for instance it’s normally liquid. If you put it through the chemical reaction and hydrogenate it it turns to a solid like Crisco. That’s how hydrogenated oils got in our diets in the early 1900s. Cottonseed oil was an industrial lubricant leftover from the cotton industry. Hydrogenation turns it into something resembling lard, and industrial waste was pushed as a smart replacement for that lard in our diets because it’s “CHEAP” and an industrial byproduct. :unamused: The hydrogenation also produces unnatural trans fats. These also were found to extend shelf stability of processed junk food. There are natural trans fats in small quantities that are usable by your body, but the ones that are man made as byproducts of food processing are very harmful and produce inflammation, they have been linked to the increased formation of cancer cells, and that’s why they are being phased out. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #27

Okay, as long as you don’t like that person! :laughing::joy::joy::grin::cowboy_hat_face:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #28

Cats require high protein and low fat. I studied up on feeding my cat a carnivore diet, not ever giving him kibble or canned cat frankenfood. Generally canned cat food has about 4X the healthy amount of sodium for a cat also. And fish isn’t a natural food for cats to live on even though they like it regular consumption leads to problems. Birds and small mammals were the traditional diets modern cats thrived on in the African savanna where they evolved. Now we use fish waste feeding them too. :crying_cat_face:

yup I hear ya but a feral unloved cat will eat whatever we give them LOL but that was great info on how animals have just as much right to decent nutrition as a person but our ‘franken’ and ‘convenience’ foods are so off now. Ugh don’t get me started HA

(Keto Koala 🐨) #30

I used to feed my cat shrimp and mince and he got too fussy and would starve rather than eat normal cat food. Same with the dogs. They developed a taste for the final things in life. But that tuna is so foul that I bet a cat would try it and just look up at me insulted :joy:

Well our partners should have their own mind… I like feed my lovely, not very choosy SO with good things (or things he wants in some cases) but I give him most (and probably all in the future) of the sugary chocolate his Mom gives us in December (she probably wouldn’t stop as his son doesn’t complain). And whatever else I don’t want like almost all apricots and pears in our fruit garden. He is willing. He only hates rendered animal fat but I don’t give him those anyway (except in a dish if I get my way. I usually do because lard doesn’t ruin dishes even for him, he is just irrationally prejudiced about it). We fit nicely.

Sunflower oil may taste bad, indeed, if one isn’t used to it anymore, at least. It’s not that horrible for me but it’s definitely not nice and it has sunflower seed taste now (I never noticed it when I ate it every day). I always disliked that taste.
I have problem with meat (fish is mean to me, animal) and plant oil. It’s not necessarily bad for its taste, it just feels a tiny bit wrong to me. I always use animal fat if I fry meat, it just sounds right (and lard is the superior fat anyway in my eyes. I have good lard).
It’s usually some bad plant oil, olive oil (rare) or tomato sauce with sugar here but maybe there are fish with water too, I am not experienced as I only like fatty fish and those aren’t in can except salmon but that’s not in water either. Canned fish is very expensive too or just not good tasting. I have a can for emergencies only.

(Keto Koala 🐨) #32

Lol it’s ok, my partner loves that I’m on keto for she gets good yummy food too. She has her own stuff too though but loves me to cook. She likes the tuna that’s flavored with basil and tomato and stuff. She has lots of cans of it. Just gonna take the oily tuna to the food bank. :blush:

Oh yes, cats, little furry possible victims (well they have their own minds too). I feed the stuff not suited even to my SO to my cats (not just anything but I rarely have food that would be problematic for them and we don’t eat it). They are quite willing, too. Not spoiled ones despite the hordes of fresh mice and voles they catch and eat. Tuna oil, they would love it, sunflower seed oil or not. They usually eat anything mixed with some animal stuff anyway.

(Susan) #34

Even if your partner is not interested in eating it; then you can donate it to a local food bank =).

haha --sorry I see above that you are going to do that already --I didn’t see that post until after I posted.

Have you tried talking her into eating Keto at all too? or she is not interested? It would be a good support and easier cooking if you could convince her to try as well? I have given up for now trying to convince my hubby and kids to try it, but some of the meals I make for myself they will try and/or eat =).

Some? I feel lucky then. My SO loves my keto food. He just eats it with a mountain of carbs. It takes a very tricky recipe not to.

I don’t know if there is something to do when someone says they don’t necessarily want carbs at all but they need something to eat and a keto dish feels lacking alone, the fat needs something… And nope, vegetables can’t cut it. Maybe I bake my keto pita again, my SO started to talk about it when I mentioned fried mutton.

It’s not like I force anything but I can’t help these urges sometimes… I make baby steps. My SO often and gladly have my low-carb/keto baked stuff for breakfast now. I don’t even eat them. Baked things are special, he can eat them without tons of carbs for some reason. That’s why I think it’s not hopeless and because he said he doesn’t want the carbs themselves.

But even I changed slowly. People can change a lot but sometimes it takes lots of time. And of course, they need to want it, ideally.

(Susan) #36

My hubby loves to eat tons of ice cream, (4 litres of the cheap $3.99 a bucket stuff a week), it never lasts the week, and tons of chips, chocolate and candies, popcorn, snacks constantly, etc. He is a carb monster.

He is really not well with his medical conditions so I would love him to do Keto, but I just hope for maybe one day =).

Ice cream is easy for us. My SO pretty much hate and avoid added sugar just like me so I make keto ice cream with cake. For some reason, he needs cake with it. (And often for breakfast. And in the end of every meal but he makes those.) With raisins, that’s important. Cakes have raisins and soups have potatoes in his world.
So his ice cream (with a tiny walnut cake) is quite low-carb because I do it. But it’s a rarity and little, 4 liters would be a beautiful amount but it would require 120 eggs (mostly the yolks).

(Susan) #38

I have tried to make Keto icecream a few times and it is verrrry expensive and it never works out good for me (we are on an extremely tight budget so it is even more frustrating when it is not working for me) . SAD way of eating is like so much cheaper, so I do my best trying to make Keto as cheap as I can.

I am still making SAD food for the rest of the family and I try to make my Keto stuff very cheap is all… also another reason why I would really struggle doing Carnivore --I cannot buy the good meats and I get almost throwing up smelling meat while it is cooking --except roasts (beef, chicken, turkey smells nice when cooking but expensive to cook them often).

His big container of icecream is cheap (of course it is horrible for him, and totally full of sugar and bad additives). I get him the no name cheap chips, Costo large pack of popcorn (44 bags for about $9 when on sale), chocolate bars 3/1.00 at the dollarama, etc.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #39

Ice cream = cream churned as it freezes. This is keto ice cream, add some vanilla extract or not.

At least that’s what it was before it became a watered-down, sugar-loaded, gum saturated junk food. Nothing can make this keto.

(Susan) #40

I only was meaning that he is a major Carbaholic and wants so much of the Carbage that I could never afford to make him Keto versions of it -as the SAD form is wayyyy cheaper. I have only tried to make Keto ice cream on a few special occasions and it never worked out for me -so I just think that is not for me and I still have over 100 pounds to lose, so I certainly don’t need it!