Summer's comin', good salsa recipe?

(Stickin' with mammoth) #1

I wanna practice making salsa for the summer. Who’s got a favorite recipe? I like it hot. (Oh, baby, oh, baby.)

(Jan) #2

Handful of fresh chili’s, some salt, several garlic cloves, squeeze of lime, a few pinches of oregano, onions or green onions (I skip these cause we don’t like each other), throw into a blender or food processor. oh, cilantro if you like it. (I don’t).
Or, throw a handful of dried chilis and a few garlic cloves into a saucepan with just enough water to cover, then boil for 5-10 min. Add salt, oregano, cumin while boiling. Can add a can of tomatoes if you like. Let cool a bit, then blend. Scrape through a wire screen-type strainer to get rid of skins & seeds. Best after its chilled a bit.
Play with different types of chilis to get the heat you like. Mix em up! (Just don’t mix red & green together like I’ve done unless you like icky-looking beige-gray salsa!)

(Stickin' with mammoth) #3

Oooo, totally forgot I just bought cilantro recently. Thanks for reminding me or it would’ve have turned to green snot in the fridge. Cilantro is persnickety.

(Julie Anderson) #4

I like this one. I use jalapenos for the peppers.

Julie

(Tammy Schinhofen) #5

i use red onion and garlic cloves (to taste),put them in food processor. then add roma tomatoes(about 6-8) depending on how much salsa i need,add a aqueeze of fresh lemon juice(dont like mine too lemony),add black pepper,season salt(both to taste),add cilantro(to taste) mix to desired consistency. you can add jalapenos or any type of peppers you like (to taste). i dont like spicy so i leave them out. simple,but tasty.

(Jessica ) #6

I just made some this weekend. Tomatoes, some onion (not a whole one so I could keep carbs down), Serrano pepper (or change out for spicer pepper), green bell pepper, cilantro, minced garlic, cummin, little erythritol, salt and pepper. It was tasty.

(Ralene ) #7

Sorry, I’m a newbie and late to the game. I’ve made my salsa this way for decades.

1 or 2 fresh jalapenos, minced in food processor
1 green onion, cut up and blitzed with jalapenos
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon real salt
1/2 to 1 bunch cilantro, depending on size and your tastes
(optional) a few fresh tomatoes on the vine, vine removed :smile:

Blitz the ingredients in food processor and enjoy!

(Erica Ramirez) #8

We have a great recipe for salsa…if you like cilantro! we are Mexican-American too so it’s legit :smiley:
We put these veggies on a skillet first & toast them (a bag in the microwave for about a min will also work in a pinch):
A large red tomato, a large jalapeño no stem but leave the insides (with veins is more spicy) then put those plus a large white onion and chopped garlic (to taste, maybe a clove or 2), into the blender, blend until everything is soft & mixed. then add the cilantro into the blender and hit it again until the cilantro is mixed up, salt it to taste and done. Served warm or chill, yum! (We usually double or triple the recipe FYI)