Suggestions for Cast Iron frypan in Australia

Looking at buying a cast iron frypan. Seems I can go anything from about 15 at Aussie disposals, to hundreds of . Anyone have any pointers on what to buy, and where? Any particular features to look for; am I better with a handle cast in or one with a wooden handle that unscrews?

(Richard Morris) #2

I have an Ausfonte sautesse pan which I love. That’s aussie made cast iron.

I did see these. My only concern is it seems a tiny bit small (24cm), I was thinking something more 28-30cm. Their “Big Skillet” is probably too big though.

One thing I’m wondering, and the google-machine is not conclusive on this, is where the 24cm measurement is. Is it across the rim at the top of the pan, or the base?

They do look like a quality piece of kit. Does the handle really stay cool enough to handle?

(Richard Morris) #4

The handle is warm but not too hot unless I put the whole thing in the oven. It’s heavy tho, it’ll give you a workout.

I thought Ausion was the go to?

http://www.solidteknics.com/ion/

Oh man, those things are works of art. Is your’s the one that is all one piece with a little map of Australia in the handle?

(Richard Morris) #7

No mine has a heart symbol, it;s the original kickstarter product and a proper cast iron pan. The one with the aussie map is a steel pan I believe. Also a great pan.

Mark Henry the engineer who came up with the design, went to school with my brother. They don’t advertise with us, I just like their stuff.

I love it too. Love a good bit of design and engineering.

(Rebecca) #9

I have a couple of the Aus-Ion, they are great, the handles are fairly long so the ends don’t get hot.

I’m thinking of getting one of the Aus-Ion ones, mainly for the size - 26cm is probably ok, 24cm is a smidge too small.

Update to this. Melbourne City David Jones store seems to be the only place in Melbourne that stocks the Solid Teknics fry pans; I checked at Southland and they looked it up for me. I haven’t made it in to look at them.

However, I’ve just procured a more “entry level” one from Harris Scarfe, a “Smith and Noble” 30cm skillet. It’s not listed on their website, but they had them at Southland. $30 on sale at the moment, I seasoned it last night and have had a go at cooking on it today - works well. Will be useful for sous vide steaks, which have become a favorite in our place… :slight_smile: