Sugar, Sugar, Everywhere

(Richard Morris) #1

Originally published at: https://obesitycodepodcast.com/{0eb281111a263d82d3fea6fde634cdebe92eb16973b39eb5d07b6c86ca51e6ba}postname{0eb281111a263d82d3fea6fde634cdebe92eb16973b39eb5d07b6c86ca51e6ba}/

Published: Nov 8, 2017

Powered by Podetize
This week’s show is focused on IDM patient, Annette Demers, who didn’t realize hidden sources of sugar were holding her back.

Links:

STUDY: Acarbose treatment and the risk of cardiovascular disease and hypertension in patients with impaired glucose tolerance: the STOP-NIDDM trial

STUDY: A limit on the energy transfer rate from the human fat store in hypophagia.

Dr Peter Brukner’s “Sugar by half” campaign

(Randy) #2

Thanks. :slight_smile:

(Erin Macfarland ) #3

Can someone interpret the study about the use of stored energy in hypophagia for the mortals here? :smiley:

(VLC.MD) #4

I might start a website SugarBy99percent.org

Taubes would say - do you tell a smoker to quit or just cut down by half ?

(VLC.MD) #5

Is it mentioned in the podcast ?

You can read the full article by putting the PMID: 15615615 in at http://sci-hub.cc/

The main gist is that you can only remove a certain number of calories of fat a day (ie. there are rate-limiting steps).

Person 1:
220 lbs = 100 kg.
30% body fat
= 30 kg of fat.

in one day, the maximum fat you can lose is 290 kJ * 30 kg = 8700 kJ

E(Cal) = E(kJ) × 0.239
8700 * .239
= 2079 Cal(ories)

Person 2
110 lbs = 50 kg.
15% body fat
= 7.5 kg of fat.

in one day, the maximum fat you can lose is 290 kJ * 7.5 kg = 2175 kJ
= 519 calories /day from fat

–=-=-=-=

(Richard Morris) #6

I would add that 290 kj/kg/day is roughly 31.5 kCal/lb/day so if you are using imperial units. So to recast what @VLC.MD said above

Person 1:
220 lbs with 30% body fat = 66 lbs of fat.

in one day, the maximum fat you can lose is 31.5 kCal/lb * 66 lbs = 2079 kCal

Person 2
110 lbs with 15% body fat = 16.5 lbs of fat

in one day, the maximum fat you can lose is 31.5 kCal/lb * 16.5 lbs = 519 kCal.

But the other way to look at that in the context of how we introduced that in the podcast is; if those people fasted and ate nothing then the energy they had to run their bodies on was 2079 kCal/day and 519 kCal/day respectively. Which is the difference between an awesome day with plenty of energy and a horrible one with not enough. I suspect person 2 would be cold because their body would be spending that energy on just the essentials.

(Ethan) #7

I’d also wager that there would be a larger amount of lean muscle breakdown for energy and decrease in metabolic rate (which is related to the cold feeling probably). Would that kind of lean muscle breakdown come in the form of glugoneogenesis? Would it throw somebody out of ketosis? In other words, would fasting cause a person to lose ketosis if available fat stores are small?

(Lyne Gagnon) #8

Good morning!
So I listened to the Sugar podcast which was awesome by the way, and can really relate to the feeling of being cold when fasting. …but I still don’t quite understand why this happens, and how can we prevent it or mitigate it. I’ve listened to Richard’s explanation several times but still don’t get it. Is it because I don’t have as much body fat to burn? Or when I break my fast, I should eat even more fat? Can you clarify or provide a reputable link that I can read to help me better understand?
Thanks much!

(VLC.MD) #9

kCal/lb :slight_smile:

(Richard Morris) #10

fixed… thanks

(Richard Morris) #11

I don’t know of actual evidence on the topic of apparent body warmth given an energy surplus, and an apparent lack of body warmth given a deficit.

That is really my hypothesis, and it could be wrong. Most researchers are focused on body weight driving metabolic rate, and I suspect rather that body weight is a second order factor and the primary factor is energy supply.

What we do know is that among carb burning men who fast, the ones who have the greatest drop in energy expenditure are likely to be the greater abdominal obesity and lower core body tremperature.

Thrifty individuals, as defined by a larger EE decrease with fasting, were more likely to have greater overall and abdominal adiposity as well as lower core body temperature consistent with a more efficient metabolism.

In other words people who make a lot of insulin (greater abdominal adiposity) have less access to stored energy so when they stop eating their MBR has to drop further and their optional uses of energy (like heating) are more constrained.

@Lyne_Gagnon I suspect when you fast, as you don’t have a lot of body fat, the energy your body has in it’s budget is less than when someone with say 50lbs of body fat fasts. They can afford to run their heater on high. You might have to dial yours back cos you have fewer calories to play with in your budget.