Sugar free ice cream

Am new! Is it ok to eat sugar free ice cream? Am M71

It’s up to you what you eat :slight_smile:
For most of us, it may or may not be okay, it’s about the ingredients. I have a nice carnivore icecream, homemade of course, I consider it okay, I just NEVER want ice cream anywhere near carnivore (or ever, actually, for some reason :frowning: I only had my wonderful ice cream once :frowning: at least I had my old dairy free keto ice cream multiple times…).

(Shannon) #3

I’ve made these homemade avocado popsicles before, https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/a22553043/keto-avocado-pops-recipe/. They’re pretty good, I usually sweeten them with only monk fruit and I use less than the recipe calls for. I tend to stay away from store bought ice cream.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

If the keto police arrest you for it, tell them we said it was okay! :grin:

Seriously, however, there are differing opinions. A lot of sugar addicts simply find it easier to avoid sweet tastes altogether, just as alcoholics in recovery avoid non-alcoholic beer or wine. The taste can be a trigger. If you’re not a sugar addict, you could probably eat sugar-free ice cream without being triggered.

Artificial sweeteners in general are a vexed question, however. Dr. Phinney is of the opinion that, as a short-term crutch, they might be more useful than harmful. But there are data to suggest that any sweet taste tells the brain to release insulin in preparation for a sugar load to come. If your goal is to keep your insulin level as low as possible for as much of the time as possible, that would be reason enough to be wary.

Just double-check the carb content and stay within your limit. Also, if you live in the U.S., check the ingredients list for sugars not listed in the nutrition panel. If the amount of sugar per serving is low enough, they are allowed to say “0g” of sugar—and they are allowed to set the serving size how they want. If there is sugar in the ingredients but “0g” in the nutrition panel, I assume there is 0.49999999 g of sugar in each serving and multiply that by the number of (unrealistically small) “servings” I will actually be eating. :grin:

(KCKO, KCFO) #5

My husband always has digestive issues with the so called keto/low carb ice creams, but if you are not sensitive to the artificial sweetners then enjoy it as a treat. I do not like ice cream so not an issue for me.

(Allie) #6

Curious as to what the actual ingredients are? Sugar free does not always mean free from other things that could be problematic. A common one that causes major digestive upsets for many people is maltitol and that needs to be avoided at all costs.

(Ohio ) #7

I’ve been forced to take stimulants for the first two decades of my life. So insomnia rears its ugly head intermittently. Although it’s tapered off since I started extended fasting.

Not sugar free, nor healthy Alden’s Organic Vanilla is something I’ve eaten to successfully treat insomnia. 2g protein per serving. Which is helpful when you’re going off the rails.

I’m just throwing this out there. Alden’s may not be fit for anyone’s condition however I’d argue it’s healthier than pharmaceuticals.

They’re typically fine, usually don’t taste great but fine otherwise. Just take a look at what’s in it. Like anything, even when keto friendly, it’s still ice cream, which is junk food. So make sure you still treat it that way. People have a bad habit of convincing themselves that keto friendly is synonymous with GOOD, doesn’t work that way.

are ya on plan in full truth and how long?
and hoping ‘sugar free ice cream’ will make it all work for ya?

I don’t know you and your eating or where you are on your changes but for me a big azz 0 cause I tried all the ‘sugar free’ ‘keto great crap’ and more and failed but if it suits you truly ‘now’ in your Keto plan and you are in that 20-30g range and doing the plan then yea, eat it up if it works for you.

again not sure where you are at all so I am keeping this post all about you and not knowing nothing about ya in your Keto plan changes :slight_smile:

no idea what Am M71 means–did any of us get this?? HA

(Laurie) #10

I think it’s “I am 71.”

I interpreted it as “71 years old male” :slight_smile:
It doesn’t really matter for ice cream IMO so it wasn’t so important to me :slight_smile:

And I had times when sweets were very needed for me to keep my carbs low… They were homemade due to my views even back then though. It matters very much at what point of our journey we are and many other things actually…

cool thanks S on that info!

(Allie) #13

Me too

I was thinking like ‘Bond, James Bond, MI6’ kinda thinking and yes I watched a JB movie HA

Tks! Am going to stay away from it!

Appreciate responses! Am going to give up sugar free ice cream after reading responses about added ingredients into it! Am sure I’m insulin resistant! Gave up alcohol and now going to drop carbs and sugars ! Am going to drop weight! Tks

(Allie) #20

I wish you all the best :heart:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #21

I started by eliminating all foods with sucrose from my diet, not worrying about grains, starches, etc. But after I two or three weeks, I started feeling so good that I decided to cut my entire carb intake to ketotic levels and haven’t looked back. The point being that people should take the steps they can, and make what progress they can, not letting the best be the enemy of good-for-right-now.

Sugar is more addictive than other carbohydrates (for well-known biological reasons), so it took me a moment of crisis to be able to become willing to give it up. I am also a carb addict in general, as well as a sugar addict in particular, and while I no longer crave sugar, I do still crave many carb-heavy foods that are not sweet. It’s an ongoing process.

Freeze 50g blueberries or strawberries etc. Pour fresh cream over them. 8g Carbs. Delicious. The frozen berries freeze the cream. You just made your own low carb ice cream.

(Bob M) #24

There is someone on the planet who does not like ice cream? That’s good – as ice cream is evil! It calls to many of us.