Sugar free ice cream

I always get surprised when I see this hype over ice cream, seriously. And I liked ice cream. But when I went low-carb, I stopped eating it and never missed it. I used to make my own anyway but I very rarely ate it and in quite small amounts… Sweets are ridiculously easy to make very low-carb and they are usually better than their carby counterpart so I don’t fully understand why the latter has any charm… Baked goods and even just grains or potatoes on the other hand are impossible to replace, they are too unique. Very possible to live without them, fortunately but people like me have their weak moments…

But if I think about it from a different viewpoint, remembering my past… I may wonder why I don’t like traditional icecream (keto ones included, they are normal just with sweetener, right? we don’t have them here, I don’t know). It’s CREAMY and I love creamy! But my eggy ice cream was so much more better that I didn’t look back (I might taste ice cream at a relative visit when I am wild but no, I don’t get the hype). But I really liked ice cream before. Not good, I could eat it galore (okay, not as some people, apparently but more than 200ml or something? that’s a huge amount, it immediately dropped on low-carb though the high fat content and more satiating ingredients surely played a huge factor). It’s never good when it’s hard to stop as the food doesn’t give me satisfaction, it’s just tasty and I eat more and more and more… I have that with bread. Doesn’t matter how low-carb as long as it’s not bad tasting.

(Bob M) #26

In the US, we’re not really familiar with egg-based ice creams. No French-style ice creams. It’s pretty much cream-based, and now with tons of things (brownies, chocolate chunks, etc.) added in. From a place in my town:

https://www.ferrisacrescreamery.com/menu.html

A favorite of my family:

Edit: they do have no sugar added flavors, but I’ve been afraid to try them. If they have something like maltitol, that’s really bad news for me.

I didn’t think anyone is familiar with egg-based ice cream :smiley: But I pretty much avoided lactose when I went low-carb and I am an egg maniac… :wink: I made dairy free ice cream, now I add cream too.

I couldn’t eat store-bought ice cream as they are for people used to super sweet stuff… (I have my ways to eat my favs but I need a ton of black coffee or unsweetened chocolate… Or tiny amounts.) But it’s watery instead of fatty anyway with who knows what in it so I just never felt any temptation to buy any (okay, maybe once… I bought some caramel… I only know it in Australian, icy pole, that. my only ice cream stuff buying in the last 12 years, it was an old fav. caramel is my biggest fav sweet taste I think - if I eat a traditional sweet, it’s almost always caramel flavored - , it’s a medium wonder I live without it pretty well. once I made some really good keto caramel but only once. but it’s fine, my other fav flavors are nice too and I ignore even them on carnivore… good thing carnivore turns my sweet dessert desires completely off. almost magic).

I still like to talk about those things, it has nothing to do with my desire or lack of it towards these items… I have PLENTY of nice memories with sweets, I never will forget them. It actually makes things easier, I feel I ate enough of them for a life (unless I start to eat plant carbs and get into another mindset).

(Allie) #28

Traditional ice cream recipes use a base of egg custard, I was looking at this one yesterday -

Have done this type of recipe before and do have an ice cream maker, but it’s just so much hassle…

Oh, traditional ones, indeed. People typically buy ice cream here, my family did the same (we made pudding from scratch but not ice cream), I only heard about people with a special diet making their own. Or maybe if they have an ice cream maker but even so, the vast majority of the recipes I ever find had no eggs.

But it wouldn’t be eggy enough for me anyway. I prefer my ice cream over 50% egg but I started with 80% or something in the past as I used no dairy then :smiley:
My recipes are simple, whipped yolk, some whipped cream or mascarpone, flavoring, maybe sweetener and that’s it :slight_smile: I make ice cream only if I whipped eggs for some reason already and have whipped cream if I use that so it’s basically just some mixing :slight_smile:

(Bob M) #30

I might try this over the weekend. Odd that it uses almond milk, though, which is to keep down the calories they say.

But why would we want to keep down the calories…? Odd.
I like to keep the flavor up, it’s nice and automatically makes my portion smaller… But I definitely don’t like almond milk so much. Cream is wonderful though.

(Allie) #32

Yes the calorie reduction thing is odd, but recipe looks good. I may try it, if I can be bothered… :rofl:

Maybe if I get bored on my carnivore(ish but I do my best to keep it carni) November, I will make ice cream again… I won’t desire it, carnivore always have that effect on me (though my experiments with true carnivore were very short and people change so who knows…? but I usually need non-animal carbs to want sweetish desserts) but it adds variety. I have some mascarpone, once I made some great eggnog ice cream with it :slight_smile: Mascarpone is magical to me, I pretty much lose the need for sweetness if it’s present :slight_smile: And it’s way fattier than cream. I don’t like watery ice cream and the more the water, the harder it gets when frozen (but I eat my ice cream somewhat melted and it’s fine. I can’t make those soft kinds with my ingredients but I don’t care about that so much. it’s creamy enough, soft if a bit melted and the taste is the important thing).

I keep planning the first ever ice cream cake of mine (the idea came to me years ago. I don’t know what an ice cream cake is like so it’s no problem is mine is different, my tastes are different from normal people too at this point) but my lack of desire and laziness on carnivore always keeps me from it. It would be fun though, carnivore ice cream cake using zillion eggs :smiley: It would be something only edible for an egg maniac like me.

(Bob M) #34

I guess if you tend to overeat ice cream, as I do, maybe fewer calories would be better?

I always ate more of something if it was less fatty :smiley: And was way less pleased with it. So I guess it’s individual, I prefer tasty, fatty, rich things in automatically smaller amounts :slight_smile:

And if I make a little ice cream, I won’t eat much :stuck_out_tongue: I learned to make smaller amounts of any treats ages ago. I probably could stop now (carnivore made some magical changes and I don’t even do it properly and go off all the time. still!) but on keto, I ate up ALL my cake, fatbombs and other things… Ice cream is something I never could eat much of though… But I still never made a lot of it. My biggest was 175g, my smallest maybe 50g? Maybe it’s odd but I just never needed much of my rich ice cream… So I guess I can’t understand real ice cream addicts - or just using extrapolation as I have that relationship with other things…

(Bob M) #36

I would prefer not to use almond milk, so maybe I use regular milk instead? That sounds like a good substitution.

We’ll see if I have the time to make this over the weekend, as we have people coming over to carve pumpkins.

(Kirk Wolak) #37

Once a Year?
Once a Month? Week? Daily? Hourly?

The dose determines the poison.
That said, there are no Keto Police. And Keto isn’t a diet, it’s a body chemistry.

The real question is… Will eating Keto/Sugar Free Ice Cream derail me?
Again, once a year? Probably not. But if after having that, you go on a 3 month Carb Binge…

Also, Sugar Free. This is a loaded term. Sweetened with Agave Nectar? Loaded with Carbs?

Finally, are you talking a serving or a container? (I used to eat Ice Cream by the container, and I did NOT favor those tiny 1/2 serving size Ben & Jerry’s containers, LOL. Imagine the amount of ice cream with 3-4 bananas added to it, seemed to NOT be too many bananas!)

Honestly, I found it useful to pick a date about 6-9 months in the future. Not near any holidays. And on that day, I would give myself permission to eat/drink whatever I wanted in a 2hr window (It started as a full day… But when you are such an addict that you start at 12:01am, you realize 24hrs is a LOT of hours, LOL).

Anyways, and the only deal was, I had to write down, in advance, all the things I wanted to have. Then I could go out and get it. Consume it. And DESTROY any leftovers after the time was up. (Psychologically, it lifted a very heavy weight off of my that I Could “never” have something again. I am an abstainer, not a moderator! But NEVER is FOREVER…)

With that weight lifted, I found after 9 months, 90% of the things I wrote down… Were not even interesting to me anymore. Pizza being one of them! Wow… And I felt so bad after the first time I did this… That I don’t even need this tool any more. (Although I will dust it off and use it again if I ever need to).

(Robin) #38

Will it derail you?
That’s the number one consideration for me. And unless it’s my usual reall food fare, the answer is usually “why risk it”? I don’t manage slippery slopes and fuzzy lines in the sand very well. If one is good, 20 is better.

(Kirk Wolak) #39

Exactly… When I had the “Don’t Do Drugs” talk with my daughter… I explained it this way…

I am not against drugs because they might do this or they might do that. It’s much simpler. Lets assume they are perfectly safe and cause you NO HARM whatsoever. My question is simply… What if they work? What if you feel AMAZING when you take them? What would stop you from wanting to feel that way any time you want? Why would you NOT use them to feel that good? And when and how would you stop? Why would you stop?

It’s like the scene in War Games… The Only way to win… Is to Not Play!

She was a young teenager at that time. But she got it pretty instantly.
If you can take a pill to feel AMAZING… You will pop that pill every time life gets hard.

And folks… LIFE IS WORK! if you check out, instead of STEP UP when it gets hard…
I believe you are just asking for it to get HARDER.

(Bob M) #40

Not all of us are addictive folks. I can easily eat potatoes, bread, stuffing, and dessert on Thanksgiving, and be keto the next day. For people like us, this isn’t bad.

Similarly, if we’re having ice cream for someone’s birthday, having low carb ice cream might be better than real ice cream.

(Jane) #41

I used to enjoy an occassional ice cream bar (low carb) but when I wore a CGM I discovered a spike in my blood sugar from the sugar alcohols. Stevia and ethryritol do not do that for me, so I quit the ice cream.

(Rebecca ) #42

This a brilliant strategy!

(Jane) #44

I should clarify I quit the ice cream bars. Rebel ice cream has erythritol and monk fruit, neither of which raise my glucose so I have a bite or two when my hubby has some.