Sugar Free Eggnog?

Don’t you mean gnom gnom? Just made my first homeade nog, used min xylitol the recipe called for, so far so good.

Still has to chill, but tried a little warm. Oh my goodness :slight_smile:

p.s. apologies if I hijacked the thread, just so excited at having made my first nog :slight_smile:

Excuse my ignorance, being Australian I’ve never tried Eggnog. So is it basically just an alcoholic drinking custard?

(Laurie) #23

We don’t think of it as “custard,” but yes.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #24

In fact, you could probably trim the recipe down to a couple of tablespoons of Bird’s powder in a glass of vodka . . . :grin:

(Keto Kid 4 Life) #25

Thanks for posting this! I’m going to try your recipe this weekend. I will also get around
to trying a couple of other recipes on this thread.

(Keto Kid 4 Life) #26

I tend to think of it as more of a milkshake.

(Keto Kid 4 Life) #27

No need to apologize! I appreciate your post! I’m going to try this recipe too. Looks delish!

(Laurie) #28

I looked up a recipe for homemade Advocaat, which is similar to eggnog but omits the milk and cream! I’d like to try making that someday.

(John) #29

I had some sugar-free, milk-free, egg-free eggnog just last night. The only ingredient left was the bourbon. :tumbler_glass:

(Laura) #30

I have a low carb recipe that uses pasteurized eggs and it is really good. I wish I could find the recipe! LOL. Also, Keto Chow comes in Egg Nog flavor and it is delicious - tastes just like it.

(Robert C) #31

It is the dose folks!

A single 4 to 6 oz. regular eggnog per year is a rather low (yearly) dose (are you really thinking this will lead to gallons of January/February eggnog?).

If I wanted weekly eggnogs for 2019, I might try to molest it but, for a single one - just have a good (and real) one and take the 10 to 15 gram carb hit.

If you’re trying to get tipsy, stick with whatever you normally spike it with.

(Laurie) #32

Yup. I made a liter of eggnog with stevia the other night and drank the whole thing right away. It wasn’t about the alcohol; it’s the sweet creaminess that grabs me.

(Robert C) #33

I guess I was really just speaking for myself (i.e. that I would never think of having eggnog at any other time of the year, so the dose is adequately low).

Because of that, this was another situation where I think regular eggnog is best.

I am sure it can be triggering to others but to me, my desire for sweet is now so low (therefore rare) that I prefer to have the real thing and enjoy than to take chances on what some chemist has come up with that tastes sort of sweet. They test for “it doesn’t kill people” but, for most sweeteners, we are the guinea pigs when it comes to long term affects on the micro-biome.

On the other hand - natural old sugar is well known to not cause any harm in very low doses (10s of grams a day). So, if I stay under 20 grams a day for months, an eggnog at the end of the year seems much better than some, not as good tasting / not what I remember tasting low-carb knockoff.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #34

Oh, yeah! Hit me, barkeep—and keep ‘em comin’! :egg: :milk_glass: :wine_glass:

(Brian) #35

I don’t even make it with alcohol but I agree completely about the “sweet creaminess”. Dang, that’s good. It would be very easy to way over-consume, even with it being keto-friendly ingredients.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #36

Years ago we had neighbors that were baptists and the wife used to come over in the early morning drinking Baileys Irish Cream while extolling the virtues of celebrating the holidays. Lets just say she liked celebrating the holidays.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #37

Let’s just say that more Baptists do than care to admit it, lol! :grin:

(Oh, the humanity!)

Unfortunately, I didn’t become an Episcopalian until after I stopped drinking. There’s a reason they call us Whiskeypalians: as the saying goes, wherever two or three are gathered in the Lord’s name, there will also be a fifth!

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #38

(Keto Kid 4 Life) #39

Well, I didn’t get to try any of the eggnog recipes yet. This holiday season ended up being super busy for me, which isn’t necessarily as bad thing. :slight_smile: I will try some of these eggnog recipes soon, because for me, eggnog isn’t just for Christmas!