Suddenly started to lose body fat again

progress

(Clare) #1

I’ve been low carb / keto of just under two and a half years.

Like a lot of people doing this, I lost a lot of weight in the first six months and then stalled.

Now the thing is, I stalled at a weight I was pretty happy with. A little bit higher than I ideally liked but still, I was happy with how I looked and happy with how I felt, so I didn’t much mind.

Because I feel awesome and I’ve learned so much, I decided two years ago that this was me for life.

In the time since, I’ve taken up exercise and toned up a great deal.

I’ve adapted to lazy keto and I don’t weigh myself or count carbs anymore - I use the fit of my jeans as a bench mark. I’ve had to drop alcohol and go back to a food diary once in that time and I’ll do the same again if I feel the pinch of the waistband of my fave brand of jeans.

So here’s the thing - without anything else has changed, no dietary changes, no more exercise, no less golden rum, I’ve suddenly, I think, started to lose a little extra body fat.

I’m not inclined to weigh myself because I found it a maddening exercise in psychological self harm but all my clothes are a little looser and my muscles are a little tighter. I’m really feeling stronger and fitter. Something is happening - I can feel it, just like I felt it when I first went keto. Something is changing, for the better and I’m not consciously doing anything different.

I’ve heard the dudes talking about the natural death of fat cells - and I guess since starting, I’ve replaced around 25% of mine. I wasn’t diabetic, just podgy. I lost 30 pounds and was down to around 150 pounds when I stopped weighing myself. Could it just be the natural cycle of new healthy fat cells coming online?

(Kellyn ) #2

That’s awesome! I’m just two weeks in and it is encouraging to read your post as I have started this WOE to make it a permanent lifestyle change.

(Clare) #3

Stick with it - I’m 44 and my only lament is that I wasted my youth feeling knackered all the time. I wish I felt this good 20 years ago.

(Mel Soule) #4

Clare I think you are onto something there. The ten year turnover of adipose and your 2.5 years of committment have rewarded you with new friends. Normal happy non-insulin resistant replacements to live happily ever after with. Congrats. No doubt other tissues have turned over as well during that time and were born insulin sensitive. So you are in a wonderful new state of metabolic happiness. Well done. Thank you for posting this as it inspires me (only 9 mos in) and many others.

(Clare) #5

And I’m so damn happy it’s enough to make my pals puke.
It’s great.

(Liz ) #6

Ah that is so cool! I’m in this for life so the idea that I can just KCKO and things will continue to happen on their own timeline is very relaxing. Thanks for posting!

(347310c402a476c3008e) #7

Wonderful, nice post Clare. Regarding “golden rum,” I just became woke to this: http://rumproject.com/rumforum//viewtopic.php?p=3825#3825. And here: http://www.alcademics.com/2014/01/how-much-sugar-is-added-to-your-rum.html. Sometimes 46 grams sucrose per liter, yo. “typical practice is sugaring cheap industrial “rum,” the results are very worthwhile to the bottler: young and relatively un-aged rum is made palatable, …”

(Clare) #8

I buy a supermarket own brand usually from Lidl, unless I’m treating myself - never had any issues. It tastes very much like like Mount Gay and it’s not sweet. You have to watch the spiced ones - they’re often full of crap.
I do measure my ketosis and it’s pretty stable.

But thanks for the warning - always good to be aware. :slight_smile: