Study shows eating peanuts may help heart health

(Megan) #1

I’d be interested in reading the actual study. I’m not sure why they had the participants eat a high fat meal before eating the peanuts.

(Michelle) #2

I do love my peanut butter, but have to limit it due to the carbs. If they can take out the carbs, then that would be great.

Since this study was funded by The Peanut Institute, I cannot believe everything they say. I know in some of these studies that are paid for by the industry, they can be manipulated to show only data that is favorable.

(Todd Allen) #3

At the end of this study it listed the funding sources, the first of which was “The Peanut Institute” which sounds like an industry backed organization.

My guess is the effect is real but not due to some magical property unique to peanuts. It’s well established that sugar raises triglycerides and eating keto lowers triglycerides. Peanuts have a good ratio of fat, protein and fiber to sugar and I’d expect plenty of other foods with similar or better ratios would also result in lower post prandial triglycerides.

(Todd Allen) #4

I forgot to add that I haven’t seen low carb peanut butter but I did recently find in local grocery stores powdered peanut butter featuring “85% less fat!” with the ingredients: peanuts, sugar, salt. It’s amazing the endless ways the food industry can continue bringing us “heart healthy” new products. And gullible misled people, including myself, have paid the price.

(Michelle) #5

TRBL, right?? Why oh why would you take out the fat and replace with sugar. UGH

(Todd Allen) #6

They sell the lowfat peanut butter for double the price. They probably sell the extracted peanut oil which also gets a good price. And sugar is cheap. It’s ingenius, creates profit, boosts gdp, keeps doctors busy and boosts sales of metformin, …

Just why would you ever buy that shit?

I’m not going to lie, I have a jar of this in the back of my pantry from my weight watchers days. Back in the day I thought it was genius, glad I know better now.