Study of women in ketosis > 1 year, put them on high carb for a while

(Bob M) #1

And pretty much everything got worse.

Interesting to me was that IGF-1 was low, they put them on higher carb, IGF-1 went up, then came back down when they went back on low carb. So much for IGF-1 increasing because of animal protein.

(Bob M) #2

Egad, people on Reddit are nuts. Freaked out when I said that IGF-1 went down, so much for the theory that meat raises IGF-1.

The problem is that “meat” raising IGF-1 is similar to protein raising insulin: it’s temporary. Because most of us on low carb/keto eat fewer meals per day, our IGF-1 overall will come down. Why? Because we aren’t eating every 2-3 hours.

Similarly, will insulin go up if you eat protein? Yes. But when you eat every 8-10 hours and eat twice a day, that’s minimal.

(Doug) #3

:wink::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::smile: Not a rare occurrence, indeed.

So many things really are just plain significantly different (almost always better) when eating ketogenically.

(Bob M) #4

I guess I tend to think that people (like us) think scientifically. The paper itself says that eating such that ketosis is suppressed (SK, suppressed ketosis), which has to entail higher carb, causes IGF-1 to go up significantly. IGF-1 then comes down again when they restarted eating to cause ketosis.

It’s hard to argue that eating meat, which supposedly causes IGF-1 to go up, is bad…when IGF-1 is relatively low when…eating a diet that’s largely based on meat. I mean, it’s hard to design a ketogenic diet without eating meat. And it’s impossible to raise carb level by eating meat. To me, it seems relatively obvious that a diet that causes ketones has to involve eating more meat…which lowered IGF-1

Unfortunately, they don’t say what the women ate. Just that the NK (nutritional ketosis) lowered IGF-1.

(Rossi Luo) #5

It’s quite interesting that, in the “Oral Glucose Tolerance Tests”, we can see that the BHB was high in phase 1 and 3 after the participants ate glucose.
In phase 1 and 3, the participants were all in ketosis, as I understood before reading this study, eating glucose would not trigger lipolysis.

And the other thing I learned from this study was that if we do cheat in ketogenic diet, then our blood glucose will be higher than the regular people who are not ketoers. Because, in the “Oral Glucose Tolerance Tests”, we can see that people’s blood glucose were higher than the the people not in ketosis in the first 240 minutes after eating glucose. So, we shouldn’t do cheating, that will harm us more.

I don’t think so. At least, not for me. My protein intake has been more or less constant before, after, and during the times I have slipped in and out of a ketogenic diet. What changes is whether I’m primarily relying on fat or carbs (or more typically, both — in my case) for energy.

Same for me. (Except the occasional very meaty day, that is way too high protein instead of the usual high.)
And it doesn’t matter if I eat meat, my vegetarian times (high-carb, low-carb and keto alike) were high-protein too. High animal protein as well as I had eggs and dairy.

I couldn’t go really low with my carbs (like 20g net) with vegetables but many people can do it, vegetarians too.

Nuts are healthy within a carefully planned keto diet.

reddit is not.

:crazy_face: