Study: Insulin Access Will Decrease by 2030 as Diabetes Spreads

(John) #1

Not so much a shortage of insulin as more people having type 2 diabetes.

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-care-news/articles/2018-11-20/study-insulin-access-will-decrease-by-2030-as-diabetes-spreads

(Omar) #2

good news

people will be forced to low carb

(Running from stupidity) #3

LOL, ASIF

(Bruce) #4

T2D is a lifestyle choice, just the same as smoking is. It frustrates me that in a taxpayer funded healthcare system (here in the UK) I have to pay for people who don’t have to cough up for their own poor health choices.

It’s not really a choice if people aren’t aware of what drives it. People are told to eat the carbs, eat the pufas, avoid the meat & fat. Eat the cereal, eat the fruit, eat the low fat yoghurt. They’re told sugar isn’t harmful & that it’s certainly better for you than meat and butter. They’re told a little bit of what you fancy does you good. They’re told to never, ever skip a meal. They live in a world where crappy food is cheap & available everywhere they go. People who develop diabetes are then told to double down on the damn food pyramid & take their meds because it’s a progressive disease anyway.

It’s only a choice if you have all the correct information available to you.

(Running from stupidity) #6

Well, you could move to the US and join in with the “if they’re poor or have made bad choices, they can die in the street crowd,” I guess. I mean, who DOESN’T want a US-style sick-care system?

I mean, all those stupid kids, gulping down carbs, building a solid T2D base decades before it shows by carefully following the Govt mandated eating guidelines, then having the Govt pay to help them along once they develop T2D. How unfair does THAT seem? Stupid people, doing the “right” thing, why shouldn’t they be penalised a SECOND time for it? I’m sure some people are envious of them, living their hedonistic lifestyle and then getting to shoot up every day as a reward!

Some even get to the limb-removal stage! That’s really ranking up in the envy stakes!

This.

(Bruce) #7

My lifestyle choice terminology was a quote from a friend who is type 2 and knows he can cure it but can’t be bothered because the state pays for the medical care. I have met many type 2 diabetics who either knew they could cure themselves and didn’t want to make the effort or when I informed them had the same reaction. Maybe I have just met different people to you all and it has affected my opinion as a result? Either way I remain frustrated by those people I have experienced directly.

As someone who has watched diabetics (T1D and T2D) start gofundme pages here in the United States to purchase live-saving insulin, who has read the articles of Millenials who literally died because they tried rationing out their insulin because it’s criminally expensive here (look up the price-gouging practices from the past couple years here), to hear such crass victim-blaming and selfish behavior is disgusting. The American Diabetes Association has only just NOW suggested a LCHF lifestyle for diabetics, and they aren’t exactly pushing it. T2Ds are victims of a predatory pharmaceutical industry and a government that refuses to go back and examine why so many people are obsese.

But hey it’s their faults, for being such fatty pig fatties, amirite?

It’s mind boggling to me that a drug that’s been around forever, is easy to produce, is so expensive and we’re running a risk of a shortage. If that doesn’t confirm the system is messed up, I don’t know what does.

(Omar) #10

It could be that more percentage of the plant population are getting diabetic.

Also do not forget that is China joined the SAD club recently as well as India partially.

If you do not give in to corporate America you will be zapped. Also how governments will be able to produce cheap food to feed all these billions of people.

(Bruce) #11

I fully appreciate your point of view from your experiences which are clearly different to mine. Like I said, my feelings have been coloured by the fact that the T2Ds I have spoken to are happy in the knowledge that the state will pay for their care, they are continuing to damage their health AND they know full well either from me or press coverage in this country that T2D is now known to be stopped in its tracks.
If I had had your experiences I would no doubt feel very differently.

(Bunny) #12

Yeah, I saw that on a go fund me site in a recent spamtastic email…

Keep eating processed garbage and high carbs with lots of highly refined sugars 3 times a day and snacking in-between and you will need that stuff, it may take that long (the year 2030) for peeps to get it through their thick heads especially the .gov dietary guideline peeps?

I’m not about to blame the American public for becoming diabetic and not being woke about nutrition when the vast majority of health sites still stress LFHC. I’d rather see a class-action lawsuit against the ADA.

(bulkbiker) #14

I really doubt that to be honest… the UK medical system seems to want to condemn T2 diabetics to a lifetime of medication and worsening health. I was told that my condition was chronic and progressive and I would end up injecting insulin. This immediately set off my [spoiler]bullshit[/spoiler] detector and I started researching. I then found my way to a low carb diabetes forum in the UK and from there to here.
By cutting carbs from my diet I have reversed my T2 but not one HCP was even aware that it could be done let alone how to do it. So I find it pretty hard to believe that the people you know are aware of low carb and don;t want to do it as either they are amazingly aware but stupid or like 95% of T2’s in the UK simply ignorant of what to do because their Doctors and Nurses have no idea either.

(Bruce) #15

I’m sorry you doubt my honesty and integrity.
The first person to express these feelings about T2D to me nearly 20 years ago was my mother’s ex who’s very words about his new T2D diagnosis were, “It’s a lifestyle choice.” and the last person was a shopper I got talking to just before Christmas who after telling me they were T2D and that they knew the carbs were bad for them went on to say " but I like them too much to give them up." in reference to the chocolate and sweet desserts we had talked about.
As I said before, we all obviously have different experiences that colour and form our opinions and being on this forum, exposing me to other differing opinions will no doubt do that too.

(bulkbiker) #16

Indeed it might… will hopefully help in making you less offended when someone disagrees with you?

I’m an active member of a UK based diabetes forum with 350,000 members and I would say only a tiny percentage arrive knowing anything about low carbing for their health. Once they have arrived we can help but the stories we hear about Diabetes Nurses saying carbs are essential as well as those saying that T2 is chronic and progressive are far and away the majority.
The problem of course being that a lot of people actually do listen to their HCP’s and follow their advice to the letter (“Eatwell Guide”) and do indeed get worse over time.

(bulkbiker) #17

And as if by magic from Twitter

Change is coming but it is painfully slow in the NHS Cath is a bright light but unfortunately one of few at the moment.

(Bruce) #18

Don’t worry, I don’t offend that easily!!!

(Consensus is Politics) #20

Indeed. I’m often guilty of saying it took me four months to cure my diabetes. Then to add the caveat, but I’m still a diabetic, although free from the effects of the disease. Now I try to use remission instead of cured.

I plan on testing this with my Health Care Provider (HCP) the Veterans Administration (VA). The VA has stopped my prescription for my Blood Glucose (BG) test strips. Funny thing was when I was diagnosed, with an HBa1c of 11.7%, I was only allowed to test once every two days (officially) as I only received enough test strips to do that every two months. Yet, I still have my prescription for 1,000 mg Metformin 2x a day (of which I decided to half the dose to 500 mg to aid in my insulin resistance (IR) recovery. Until I hear other drawbacks, I’ll continue with the metformin. One of the truly wonderful meds we have had in centuries, in my opinion.

So to test, I plan on asking the VA why I no longer receive the test strips? Does this mean I am cured? A term I used with my endocrinologist on my first visit with her about how I was going to handle it. I told her I was in process of reversing or even curing it. She laughed and told me it’s not possible. “It’s a progressive disease. The best we can hope for is keeping you healthier than the average person who has this disease by lowering fat, losing weight, and exercise. With emphasis on low fat dieting.” That was the first time I saw her about three months after being diagnosed.

The last time I saw her, about 9 months later, she said she no longer needs to see me. Asked if I wanted to cancel all my future appointments with her since obviously I had this under control.

So I’m gonna drop the bomb and ask them again if I’m cured. Then if not, why can’t I continue my script for my BG strips? I’ll try not to be smug about it. :sunglasses: