Study about high fat diet and nonalcoholic fatty liver disease

Thank you Carol!

(Bunny) #22

ā€¦bad predetermined variables to do a study (place in recycle bin).

Note: If you were to add choline supplementation to the study subjects diet there would have been no ā€œfatty liver.ā€

ā€œā€¦People with a condition of the liver called ā€œfatty liverā€ are at a higher risk for having choline deficiency and experiencing negative symptoms. Fatty liver, also known as fatty liver disease (FLD), is a reversible condition where triglyceride fat accumulates in liver cells. It commonly develops with people who have an excessive alcohol intake, are obese, suffer with diabetes or a form of insulin resistance, and have other diseases that influence fat metabolism. ā€¦ā€ ā€œā€¦This is most likely due to genetic factors in certain people that create a higher need for choline. For example, according to researchers, 50 percent of the population may have genes that increase dietary methyl requirements, and since choline is a major source of methyl processes, this can result in a choline deficiency. ā€¦ā€ ā€¦More

1. Need help.. :( running out of things to try

2. Keto and cirrhosis

3. Keto Fatty Liver Controversy, Not Well Known Factors & Known Factors

(Carol O'Carroll) #23

Also

(mark whittaker) #24

I just wanted to share this. Dr berg who I think is a trustworthy advocate of the ketogenic diet says that keto does cause fatty liver. I saw this thismorning and it scared me. I think I need to make sure I nderstand this before I go too far. I am on week 9 and 25 lbs down but hopefully im not destroying my liver in the process. I am not eating very many veggies. and the ones I do eat are mostly just letuce.

I think Berg is a pretty good guy overall - but this is interesting, and I think this time - its a bit misleading (well a least the title is misleading). Heā€™s sort of right and more wrong. First, this is one line out of a text book - without the text/book citing its reference source to make that statement. Nor does it say to what extent that is ā€œcausesā€ fatty liver (which there is lots of evidence out there to say it clearly does not). What is sort of right - that yes, a carbs from refined foods (e.g. the piece of bread in his carb scenerio) with refined foods being the major stressor for the liver probably of the fructose overload, His other two examples were fruit - which may have eluded to the frustose. He is a huge proponant of lots and lots of leafy vegs etc, and that is probably was the point he wanted to make. However Iā€™m sure there are folks here that would argue that ā€œunlimitedā€ vegs for some or the 50 gm carb limit may not be the best suggestion (myself included). Read up this page and the various links re: fatty liver - that are well researched.
And for what its worth - your liver is probably fine - but itā€™s ok to review the veggies and analyze for the best nutrient dense ones.

(Mandy) #26

Iā€™d really love to see some keto oldies chime in. Iā€™m only 3 weeks into keto but I have wondered about NAFL and the keto diet. Iā€™ve used Dr. Berg as a reference for several keto questions I had. Not sure why but this alarms me. Maybe I am misunderstanding what he is saying but why would he promote keto if he believed it caused NAFL? Maybe he is just saying, dont forget the greens!

I hear you - and with a less than 3min video, I think he should have eleborated more regardless of what point he was trying to make. Donā€™t know what you consider an ā€œoldieā€ but Iā€™ve been on keto since August 2017 with no negative effects. Nor do I think more vegs are going to be a problem per se - will depend upon how you tolerate carbs - and what your goal is. It may translate to slower weight loss (if weight loss is the objective) and if that works for you - then thatā€™s what works for you.

(Mandy) #28

Iā€™d consider you a keto oldieā€¦ Lol. Good or bad, I do include greens into my eating. For me, I think it would be hard to cut totally. I find a little salad breaks up the plate of meat and cheese. Too early to tell I think, if it will hinder my weight loss goals. Hasnā€™t kept me out of ketosis but I suppose we will see in the long run.

(mark whittaker) #29

He has actually created lots of videos on the subject. I have seen others from credible people too.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=dr+berg+fatty+liver