Studies about high fat/keto compared to high carbs causing inflammation

(Ryan Stigge ) #1

I went out with some great friends who I haven’t seen in a while. After getting through the “you look greats” and “you have lost so much weights” I received some heavy skepticism from a friend who is a Dr. about how healthy this diet could possibly be. The sticking point was his belief that the keto diet would cause inflammation where I said it reduces inflammation and that I believed that inflammation may be caused by carbs. He thought it was ridiculous and asked for science. So if you have links that I can read and send to him I would greatly appreciate it.

Ps I apologize if this topic has been covered I tried to search for this and also browse but didn’t find the info I was looking for.

(Richard Morris) #2

Jeff Volek looked into vascular function and found a low carb diet significantly lowered vascular inflammation.

It’s been observed for a while that a ketogenic diet decreases markers of systemic inflammation. This study found the mechanism.

(Ryan Stigge ) #3

Wow, you are simply the best. Thank you

(Oded Shopen) #4

That’s great. Can I have the 2-3 sentence overview about inflammation? Does it have anything to do with uric acid?

(Marc) #5

The sticking point was his belief that the keto diet would cause inflammation where I said it reduces inflammation and that I believed that inflammation may be caused by carbs. He thought it was ridiculous and asked for science.

@Ambulldog , please ask him for the science which backs his position.

(Keto in Katy) #6

My C-Reactive Protein values were much improved on keto, and I think this is not uncommon.

(Kristen Ann) #7

Thanks for this!

(Jasna Nicolson) #8

Are there any more recent studies since the above? Stuck in hospital (Sydney) where dietitian is telling me there is no evidence that the keto diet is anti inflammatory.

(Gregory - You can teach an old dog new tricks.) #9

How are your inflammation markers?

(Bunny) #10

More up to date research:

23 Studies on Low Carb and Low Fat Diets — Time to Retire the Fad

Only thing I question is how long can the ketogenic diet be anti-inflammatory?

image link

(Polly) #11

@Jasna_Nicolson I hope you are able to eat your preferred way now.

I have found the low carb diet to be anti-inflammatory and have barely felt my arthritis over the past 8 years. Tennis elbow and plantar fasciitis used to chime in whenever the arthritic inflammation flared. I have no more trouble with those either.

Take no notice of anything Bunny posts if you are interested in taking care of your health. He/she has some obsessions about carbs being necessary and good for us which seem at odds with everyone else’s experience on this ketogenic forum.

(Bunny) #12

Polly has severe issues with his narcissistic character disorders for whatever reasons against those who disagree with him so please pay no attention him.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #13

This is not civil discourse. This thread is now closed.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) closed #14