Struggling with macros

(Anita Huska) #1

Hi I was using ketone strips and was reading at optimal ketones but then today I out totally I bought a blood ketone meter to see as the urine ones aren’t as accurate. I eat lots of fat moderate protein carbs? is pretty good but as I read diet doctor says 20 or less carbs a day well my macros are set at 20 g= 7% protein25%= 74 g, fat 69%=92.g the blood reading is 0.4 so not in ketosis, should I try the 20 less net carbs to see I do IF also from 6 to 7 pm, to 1, 2 pm if I get hungry before that I eat some nuts usually walnuts? Don’t know why it’s not registering?

(Full Metal KETO AF) #2

How long have you been doing keto? Don’t struggle with your macros. Don’t worry about testing. Keep your carbs under 20 net daily. Read Juices Keto Manifesto. It’s simple, you shouldn’t be struggling.

Keep Calm and Keto On (KCKO) :cowboy_hat_face:

(Anita Huska) #3

Been doing keto for almost a month but I have had a cookie in between it all made some keto pecan brittle and ate that for sweets so maybe I know that the pee strips are not accurate, but it was really good till this morning.

(Running from stupidity) #4

I see what you did there…

(Mark) #5

It could take several days at that level before you’ve burned up enough sugar to begin burning fat. Give it some more time. :slight_smile:

(Anita Huska) #6

Okay but again how much protein is enough ? I set it for 20 to 25 % for a 1200 calorie diet if I can eat more calories I will try.

(Anita Huska) #7

I been doing keto for over a month experimenting with the macros.

Pee strips are rather useless. Will tell you if your dehydrated or not mostly. If your carbs are 20g or less daily then your in ketosis. If you have cheat snacks daily then your probably not. Even some of the zero calorie sweetners will effect persons differently. Stay strict for at least a few months to become fat adapted.

As for macros
-protein is a goal to hit daily and going over is ok. Unless you have a medical reason to limit it, don’t fear protein. Your looking for .8-1g per lean lb of body weight.
-fat is a limit especially if weight loss is a primary concern. Only for satiation.
-carbs are a hard limit, 20g and below.

Also what are your stats? Chase results not ketones.

(Carl Keller) #9

The amount of protein that you should eat is whatever it takes to put your hunger at rest. Let your hunger decide how much it is. The most important macro is the carb macro. Keep it low and eat protein and fat to satiety. Macros are not stretch pants and one size does not fit all.

(Anita Huska) #10

What is the carb macro?

(Anita Huska) #11

Do you mean like the percentage I use in carb manager?

(Full Metal KETO AF) #12

You’re the man!:cowboy_hat_face:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #13

The best carb macro is rated in grams, 20 net carbs for definite ketosis, testing will be unnecessary if you adhere to this. It’s simple. Keep 75% of those carbs low carb vegetables and you can’t go wrong. It’s called lazy keto and it’s the best and easiest way to start without overworking your brain about trying to get EVERYTHING PERFECT. Use the link I posted and you’ll be golden. If you must use a tracker just focus on the carb aspect and if you can’t input a gram amount for carbs use 5% :cowboy_hat_face:

Hi,

0.4 means it is registering, you are in ketosis. On the other hand - 0.2 or the lowest it goes would mean you are not.

I’ve seen videos of Dr Westman saying he had people well into ketosis and they only registered 0.4 - so it is not a problem.

That number of 0.5 is only an arbitrary “guide”, but all people are different. Dr Volek had prime athletes highly keto adapted for over 12 months and they only read 0.4 or 0.5.

Besides all that the numbers go up and down throughout the day. And fasting probably complicates them too.

So chasing any particular number is like chasing shadows.

I don’t measure any more as I know what works for me now. But previously I only used my meter to find hidden carbs, i.e. I was only looking for zero or not-zero, not any special number.

First time I discovered hidden carbs was a rude shock, I thought the meter must be broken or the batteries flat, kept getting 0.3 day after day. There were indeed hidden carbs, hiding right in front of my face. But I realise 1.5 mM is not better than 0.5. And I know 0.4 does not mean I’m out of ketosis. I was also measuring at the same time of day around 7am or 7pm as well.

The ketone meter is measuring left over ketones. Measure them at the end of the day always gives me a higher reading. Like Alex said, you ARE in ketosis. I get readings of .4 to 1.5. The lower ones are always in the morning or if I eat regular food.

This is a lifestyle, not a religion. Your still “clean” if you are not in ketoses 24/7/365 :wink:

(Anita Huska) #16

A woman but thanks

(Anita Huska) #17

yes my ketones change to so now I not concerned, I use the blood meter once in a while.

(Running from stupidity) #18

David was replying to me, you can see the indicator in the top right of the post.

And he’s right, of course…

(Anita Huska) #19

ok oops

(Anita Huska) #20

:smiley::sweat_smile::sunglasses: