Struggling to lose weight and not eat too much protein

(Susanna B) #1

Forums are still new to me so I hope I am doing this correctly. I have been following the keto woe for about 4 weeks now (did have a higher carb meal for one day due to my anniversary though ). I have only lost a couple pounds. I am 23, 5’8" and have about 70lb to lose. I definitely have more energy since starting but I was really hoping for faster weight loss after hearing all kinds of success stories on Facebook and the 2keto dudes podcasts. I am not giving up but really and wondering if there are any tips that you all can give me. I have read through all the newbie info I can find on the forum. I am currently shooting for 100grams protein less than 20grams carbohydrate and 165grams fat as that is what the keto calculator said I should. I am really having a hard time getting enough fat, and I want to eat more green veggies and protein because thats what I crave (not sweets and carbs) I but it’s so easy to go over 20 grams of carbs from veggies. I also have read how going over on protein messes with insulin and your liver. I am not on any medication either. Not sure what is holding up the weight loss. Any insight is welcome!

My macros are off

Weight loss is so variable and lots of people have a frustrating delay in getting started, especially women I’m afraid. My advice is to focus in on the non-weight related benefits for now like the improved energy. It would be good to keep a journal of all the changes. Measure - many people see a change in measurements with no movement on the scale. Look for all the other things like clearer skin, mental clarity, better sleep, improved mood, reduction in cravings… It will happen but it might take time to get going. It sounds like you are doing everything right so just keep going for now.

(Jeanette Villanueva) #3

I started keto about 10 weeks ago. (Per doctors orders). I have slowly been losing weight. The last 3 weeks no movement on the scale but my waist went down almost 2 inches!! Im concentrating on the non scale victories as so many suggested. Its really helping me to stay with keto. Plus i feel so much better! Stay strong and keto on… the weight loss will happen.

(Allie) #4

100g protein would be too much for me, I do best with about 75g on lifting days and 55 - 60g on rest days.

(Susanna B) #5

Interesting. Not sure how your size compares to mine but I’m 5’ 8" and 265lb. I just was going with basically 75% fat and 20-25% protein that the keto calculator gave me based on roughly 18000 calories a day. I crave more protein many days though so I’m not sure if that means my body needs it or what.

(Michelle) #6

Hi there!! Welcome to the forums. I was a forum newb as well when I started keto (in January this year), but this place is easy to navigate and find answers.

Are you taking any supplements? What veggies are you eating? What types of protein are you having?

I would definitely throw out the calorie counts in the beginning. I would focus on keeping carbs low so that you can get into ketosis, then get fat adapted, and start to do some experiments on what your body can handle in terms of veggies/fat/protein. In the beginning, I feel like we all try to do so much, and we get stressed out.

Keto is really easy once you can experiment with what works for you as a long term WOE. Focusing on the scale in these early days will also cause some stress and cortisol release. Focus on fixing your hormones in the beginning (insulin, gherlin, leptin). Keeping carbs low is key, then some moderate protein, then some fat. You don’t have to hit fat macros, just listen to your body.

keep calm and keto on!! It will pay off.

(Allie) #7

Best to work out protein needs by grams rather than percentages as the percentages fluctuate depending on calories - 25% of 2000 calories is much more than 25% of 1500 calories and that can make a massive difference.

(Susanna B) #8

Thanks for the encouragement! Currently for protein I eat chicken thighs, eggs, bacon, salami, cheese, occasionally beef when I can afford it. For veggies I eat spinach, lettuce, Brussel sprouts, pickles, avocado, broccoli, and cauliflower. The fats I use in addition to what’s in meat are olive oil, coconut oil, butter, HWC, and bacon grease. As far as supplements, I have not added anything I only take a regular prenatal multi vitamin that I have been on for a while. Most days though I hit my protein limit and still need more fat which is frustrating. I can eat plain coconut oil or butter but it’s weird. I am open to suggestions!

(Michelle) #9

To me (and I am still a newbie), looks like you are doing everything right. I would just say walk away from the scale for a while. Hide it. Put it under the bed. Pretend it’s broken. It can be the devil sometimes!

For instance, I weigh a little more now than I did when I was on a SAD diet. I have a pair of pants that I’ve had a long time and fit me when I was eating carbs, but haven’t fit me in a long time, like 5 years or so. I wasn’t trying them on anymore because of the weight on the scale. Well, I finally tried them on this week for fun and guess what? They FIT PERFECTLY!! No muffin overhang on the top or nothing. Blew my mind.

So, your body may be repairing and fixing things inside, and it’s not reflected on the scale. Break up with the scale for a while, and focus on what you feel and what you see. And keep us posted!

I concur re focusing on non scale victories when you’re starting out, especially if you’ve done calorie restricted diets and/or low fat prior to keto. Keto gives your body both the raw materials and hormonal balance to repair and rebuild, you may be changing body composition without losing much weight. I’m about 10 lbs heavier than I was before starting but I can wear clothes that were too tight before.

Also, with the crazy carb hunger gone you can truly learn to listen to your body. If you’re hungry, eat; if not, fast. Don’t force the matter either way, you’ll know when you’re ready to push for weight loss. You may need to do some healing first.

Keep calm and keto on. :slight_smile:

(Rein) #11

I’ve been there for a while too. Basically protein was a fat transporting tool for me: I ate tuna or chicken with lots of mayo, eggs with mayo, salads with a protein and olive oil. In the end, I’d hit my fat target, but also overshoot protein by 30-50%.

This changed when I started embracing more fat-centered foods and snacks. What I mean by that is stuff like bulletproof coffee (which is water and fat, basically), butter tea which I absolutely love (google ‘yak butter tea’, replace yak butter with good regular butter, grass fed if you can find it). Stuff like that. I love cheese with salted butter, also. Best go for a younger Gouda cheese which is a little softer taste and texture wise, it’s a great combination with the (preferably cold!) butter.

Also, I started cooking in a more ‘fat first’ kinda mentality. Before I would pick out a protein and see how I could incorporate extra fat. Now I start with which fat I want to use today (based on what’s in the fridge or on sale), and design the rest of the meal around it.

An example would be yesterday. I had lots of butter and felt like eating something puréed. Yes, that is a strange state of mind, I know. But I felt like that. So I thought: what can I purée with lots of butter to get a nice texture? Cauliflower. Then I added fried fat cubes (basically bacon without any meat) for some smokiness, and it was great. Tons of fat, hardly any protein.

Hope this helps, give it a go!

I struggled with my fat intake for a while too. I have snacks like cream cheese spread on bacon, pork rinds (great potatoe chip substitute, I use them to transport homemade dips) and heavy cream. I have a sweet tooth so there is always a bowl of whipped cream in the fridge. I add espresso powde, almond, lemon or just vanilla extract, sweeten with your favorite substitute. I tend to snack my way to my fat macro.

Actually with the numbers given it looks like you are right on track.You’re at about a -10% TDEE deficit which puts you at a projected loss of -0.45 lbs/week, and so if you’ve lost a couple pounds in a month, that fits.

(Susanna B) #14

Great tip of starting with fat and adding meat and veg to it! I did that today and my lunch ended up being higher in fat than protein!!! :smiley:

(Barbara Greenwood) #15

Ummm… dont add fat just for the sake of hitting your macros. They are only a guide - not a straitjacket. You want to add enough fat to your meals that you are nicely satisfied but not stuffed. As your insulin levels stays low for much of the day, your fat cells will release their contents to provide you all the energy you need.

(Susanna B) #16

I am not really doing that but what was happening is I’d have more than than enough protein and veggies all cooked with fat but still be hungry and as I’ve found more ways to add fat in yesterday and today per suggestions of others in this thread it has helped and I have not over done the protein because I do not feel as hungry. I think before this I would start with my bcp coffee and then lunch would be protein and veggie and not enough fat causing me to eat more than enough protein in the event because I would still feel hungry.

(chris.coote) #17

I love the idea of thinking “Fat First” for cooking!:heart:

(chris.coote) #18

As mentioned above, definitely drop calorie counts or %ages. At most, track g of either net or total carbs to keep below 20 and may maybe protein to try to keep reasonable. It sounds like you are doing well and just need more time (see female episode), but just in case, you could always take a week, focus only on carbs and track them intensely. They are nasty buggers, and sometimes hide where you least suspect…

(Barbara Greenwood) #19

Oh, got you. Sounds like you’re on the right track.

(Tess Rubicon) #20

Wow Rein, Thank you! My problem is protein also. Those were some good suggestions. Sometimes I get to the end of my day and log my foods and realize I’ve gone 20 grams over on protein and I’m still 40 away from my fat goals! I’ve been searching for something besides “eat less protein and more fat.” Thank you again!