StrongLifts 5x5

(Michael Boggs) #1

So I’ve been lifting, on and off for over 20 years. I recently just got back into it, and I started with a beginner program called StrongLIfts 5x5.

Its super simple to follow. It starts very light and builds over time. And most importantly, it focuses on the most important compound lifts.

Stronglifts 5×5 uses five free weight compound exercises: the Squat, Bench Press, Deadlift, Overhead Press and Barbell Row. You do three of these exercises each workout, three times a week, for about 45 minutes per workout. You Squat every workout, three times a week.

Read more https://stronglifts.com/5x5/

I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to get into lifting.

(AnnaLeeThal) #2

Thanks for this!

I’d love to start lifting but I don’t have a gym membership or weight lifting equipment. I do have a 70lb daughter, and dogs ranging from 12lbs to 27lbs, maybe I could lift them.

(joelchandler) #3

I would argue that softdrink bottles filled with water are a great place to start, particularly when using techniques described in “Body by Science” or “Convict Conditioning”

There are a range of really effective techniques that don’t require any or little equipment.

(AnnaLeeThal) #4

Awesome! Thanks! I’m all about working with what you’ve got.

(Michael Boggs) #5

Yeah, there is an entire subreddit dedicated to body-weight exercises. You could start there.
https://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/wiki/kb/recommended_routine

SL5x5 requires very little, but it does require a squat rack, barbell, bench and weights, at a minimum.

(Jacquie) #6

Mike, thanks for this. I’m a 69 year old female, who started lifting weights in my early 30’s after a sports injury (was a runner but got injured when I was stretching…suffered a dislocated patellae and large subchondral fracture). Started lifting informally and then did a low carb BFL (Body for Life) with excellent results. I’ve worked out with weights since then using different programs. Most recently did BBS (Body by Science) but have switched to full body workouts since I’m working out at home without a spotter. I’m an ectomorph with endomorph tendencies who wants to do everything and anything to ward off sarcopenia. :wink:

(joelchandler) #7

Yes calisthenics has a lot to offer in that regard especially mixed with a go slow technique. I can comfortably bench press 50kg+ … but very slow incline push-ups give me the same muscle fatigue with no equipment and a very low risk of injury and 10 to 20 of those will drive your muscles to fatigue.

Those basic compound movements are the key to a well rounded body.

Remember the modern gym is just that - a very modern product - people have been body building for a lot longer with just the stuff around them.

(joelchandler) #8

Body by science doesn’t have to be done in the gym. The basic principles mixed with bodyweight is insanely powerful.

(Jacquie) #9

I need to check this out. Love it! So many choices. Won’t be getting bored anytime soon. :wink:

(Jake P) #10

I have used Strong Lifts 5x5 off and on for a little while, I wholeheartedly agree. Great philosophy behind that.

(joievawter) #11

That’s my jam!
I used to do old school body building but plateaued.
I am loving 5x5 and making huge strides!

(ryancrawcour) #12

@ted.naiman is a big fan of calesthetics and body weight exercises.

(joievawter) #13

Yep. I do a lot of body weight training too combined with functional mobility & flexibility strength. I find it is best to be well rounded.

(dawn.hakala) #14

I did 5x5 for quite some time… However, being an instructor myself, I know our bodies need confusion… So I switched to “built by science” and really like it… Challenges my body in new ways…
Everyone needs to remember… Our bodies will get comfortable… You have to change it up from time to time make gains :slight_smile: :muscle:

(Jacquie) #15

Totally agree about the body needing confusion. When I started lifting, I got into a rut because I was doing the same ol’ thing. Humans like patterns. Once I started changing what I was doing with the weights, I noticed positive changes. Have also done HIIT at various times, too. Being retired now, I’ve added lots of functional outdoor work, like making trails, moving tree branches and rocks. I’m learning to slackline, which I love! :grinning:

(joievawter) #16

Hey Dawn, great to see you are here! :smile:

(Larry Lustig) #17

My body should love me, like, all the time!

(Guardian of the bacon) #18

Body weight exercises can be quite effective. You use leverage to increase difficulty. Mike listed Bench press, Pushups are basically upside dowbench pressn pushups using your body as the weight. Do a body weight squat and hold at the bottom for a bit increases difficulty. There are lots of you tubes on how to effectively use ur own body weight for lifting

(Richard Morris) #19

I used to love TRX (body weight) workouts. I totally need to mount that as I’ve not used it since we moved a year ago.

(Bob Weiman) #20

Good idea! I need to pull out my TRX straps and start using them again. The additional core involvement required to stabilize the positions was pretty telling.