Stress causes a spike in BLOOD GLUCOSE...?

(Jane Srygley) #1

I follow the Carnivore Yogi on YouTube. She has been very open about her experiences, which has been very helpful for me. Recently, she went from a high protein carnivore diet to a high fat carnivore diet. When I saw the title of this video, I was like oh crap that didn’t work for her either! Well, no, actually the high fat carnivore (beef and suet) diet is working for her, but she recently went through a period of high stress and her blood glucose went up. On zero freaking carbs!

I knew that cortisol could spike insulin… but blood sugar??? Her high protein diet was causing blood sugar spikes while she slept, which is also weird, but the high fat carnivore thing seems to have cured that for her until she went through this stressful period. She also said that blood glucose can be elevated for up to 5 days after not getting enough sleep!

So weird and makes me want to go buy a blood glucose monitor.

Anyhow, here’s the video and please let me know what your thoughts/experiences are:

(Jane) #2

@FrankoBear did an experiment where he showed looking at social media raised his blood glucose.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #3

Gluconeogenesis is a marvelous and mysterious process. My guess: stress, of any kind, induces the ‘fight/flight’ response and gluconeogenesis pumps out additional glucose.

(Jane Srygley) #4

That makes a lot of sense!

(UsedToBeT2D) #5

Yes, my N=1 says stress raises glucose, even on Keto. Learning to control stress is difficult, but valuable for us diabetics.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #6

This is the human body working as designed. The problem lies not with acute stress, which the body handles well, but rather chronic stress, which over the long term causes damage.

The other problem, of course, consists in elevating one marker of metabolic health to overwhelming importance. To really understand what was going on with this woman, we would have to know what all her lab tests were showing, not just her serum glucose.