N=1. Blood glucose and social media

Save lives. Stay home. I am.

n=1 today. I have got over the stress eating hump, and feel calmer and am enjoying the nutritional ketosis and some time restricted feeding.

So it was time for a self experiment.

Aim: I wanted to see what happens to my fasting blood glucose when I read social media streams.

Set up: blood glucose tests on a Freestyle Optimum home test machine:

Results
(Fasting)
8am: 5.3 mmol/l
(Black coffee with cream)
9am: 5.2 mmol/l
9:30am: 5.2 mmol/l (start social media surfing)
10:00am: 6.3 mmol/l
10:30am: 6.8 mmol/l
11:00am: 6.9mmol/l
( go outside in the sun, pat dog and yoga breathing)
11:30am: 6.1 mmol/l
12noon: 5.4 mmol/l

Findings: Blood glucose rises when surfing social media.

Conclusions: Less social media. More dog patting and being outside in the sunshine.

When people with diabetes develop a viral infection, it can be harder to treat due to fluctuations in blood glucose levels and, possibly, the presence of diabetes complications. There appear to be two reasons for this. Firstly, the immune system is compromised, making it harder to fight the virus and likely leading to a longer recovery period. Secondly, the virus may thrive in an environment of elevated blood glucose.

https://idf.org/52-about-diabetes.html

Stress causes a spike in BLOOD GLUCOSE...?
('Jackie P') #2

That’s very interesting! This site is the only social media I do, but it can’t be doing me any good glued to the bloody telly half the day sucking in every new development!
I feel so much better after my 1 allowed walk each day and think I must shake off the stress and limit my exposure !

(Diana) #3

Very interesting. I don’t notice it directly, but was always curious if truly I’m causing stress when surfing the news and instagram. But at this stage there is little else to do.

Also I’m finding myself in same boat as your other post. I’m eating more and I feel it’s because of boredom. It’s still all keto but the quantities I feel are a little more and I’ve found myself having a bite to taste the dinner I make for my husband instead of staying strict like before. Not great

(bulkbiker) #4

Stay away from Twitter then!

(Ian) #5

I would say that is an absolutely conclusive n=1 study! Interesting and reasonable.

I can’t get over the Ketone readings in the 5s. I got into the 5s once, but it took 2 days of eating 700 calories each day and then 36 hrs of fasting, only then did I hit 5.2 mmol/L, 10hrs later, still fasting it dropped to 4.6mmol/L

these are blood glucose. the baseline ketone were 0.3mmol/l :slightly_smiling_face:

Oh sorry, I’m on a Keto diet and monitoring my Ketones in mmo/L, also when I see glucose numbers they are usually in mg/dL.

(Jenna Ericson) #9

I appreciate the irony of this thread :upside_down_face:

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:I am a teacher. A uni lecturer. The irony was also evident when I asked the local rural community where I live, through an online community notice board, if they could try to limit heavy Internet usage during school hours so I could teach my students online.

I’m the one who is and should be sorry for not posting the data in mg/dl as well. I hope to do an edit soon.

You clearly labeled the post, Blood Glucose, I need to read for context and not infer my latest thought into what I read.

Results
(Fasting)
8am: 96 mg/dl
(Black coffee with cream)
9am: 94
9:30am: 94 (start social media surfing)
10:00am: 114
10:30am: 122
11:00am: 124
( go outside in the sun, pat dog and yoga breathing)
11:30am: 110
12noon: 98