Stress and grief without food

(Roxanne) #1

My dad, who lived in a retirement home as an active senior since 2011, experienced steady declines in cognition and mobility over the last 18 months. Before I started Keto in July, it was not uncommon for me to stop at Bulk Barn after a visit with him to buy a pound of some kind of candy to help deal with the emotions and stress of that visit, and usually I would have devoured it before I got home - a 6 km drive.

Once I started Keto, that impulse went away. I’m able to finally separate hunger from the need for comfort. The past month has been difficult - we had to move him to an assisted living room, and apply for long-term care. This past weekend, he suddenly became ill, and passed away within 36 hours.

And still I have had no desire to turn to food. I never understood before how people who were stressed or grieving could lose their appetites, when all I craved was sugar or carbs. But now, after 55 years, I believe I have finally tamed the sugar monster, and it is thanks to this Keto lifestyle!

(Jessica) #2

I’m so sorry for your loss, but kudos for dealing with it in a healthy way.

So sorry you lost your dad :disappointed:

(In a #ketomarriage with @peggaloon) #4

So sorry for your loss, and well done. KCKO

So sorry for your loss. Hope you get the opportunity to relive lots of wonderful memories of your Dad as you grieve with friends and family.

I’m really sorry you lost you Dad.

Congrats on taming the sugar monster!

(Cathy Schroder) #7

Losing someone you are close to is one of the hardest things we ever have to deal with. The fact that you have been able to manage without turning to your previous coping mechanisms is a huge achievement. Congratulations. Sending love your way. xx

(David Russell) #8

Sorry for your loss. It’s not easy watching your parents get older. My heart goes out to you.

(Julie Anderson) #9

I am sorry for your loss. I’ve been going through similar issues with both my folks this past year. It definitely helps to have the steady, clear unstressed mind that being fat fueled gives me.

Kudos on handling this loss in a healthy manner.

Julie

My heart goes out to you. And thank you for sharing your experience. In a way, you taught us another good reason for this WOE. Life happens, and when eating issues are not part of the stressors we need to deal with, we have a better chance coping.

(Chris McRoberts) #11

Very sorry for your loss

I’m so sorry you’re going through this. I lost my dad a few years ago and it was a rough. Just know you aren’t alone. Nice work getting away from the carbage during this stressful time. It’s not easy!

(Roxanne) #13

Thanks, everyone, for your condolences, they are appreciated. While it is a time of sadness, m celebrating the fact that this WOE has separated eating from emotions, something I was never sure was possible. It’s a good thing!