Stopped sweating?

Since starting keto in October, my workouts have me sweating like a politician hooked up to a lie-detector. However, the last couple of weeks, I’m hardly sweating, despite working out hard. Is this one of the signs of fat-adaption? My workouts are actually starting to feel good.

(Casey Crisler) #2

Could it be the cooler temps? I don’t find myself sweating as much either. I’m a helluva lot colder than ever though. Wearing long sleeves to run outside, for example. I live in Phoenix just for context.

(Magnus Jensen) #3

I am experiencing the exact same thing myself. Would be interesting to know why this happens. My workouts also feels amazing now. Hope I am fat adapted. Looking forward to responses. Thanks!

I workout inside, in FL, so I don’t think that’s it. My workouts aren’t as intense as pre-keto but I’m pushing pretty dang hard. Most of the time there would be a puddle about the size of a tennis ball; now maybe a drop or two. I do like the way I’m feeling. Prior to a couple of weeks ago, I couldn’t even make it through a full workout.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

Don’t know about the sweating, per se, but it might be that, as your body has become progressively more fat-adapted, it no longer needs to to waste energy, since the muscles have gotten good at using fat.

Finding it easier to exercise is definitely a sign of fat-adaptation, for sure.

(Jay Patten) #7

Same thing here, man. Been keto for a year and I havent died yet, lol.

Same amount of water as when I was sweating hard.

(Edith) #9

I actually noticed I sweat less on keto.

Exact same workout only now I can finish :slight_smile:

Came to this conclusion myself recently.

https://www.ketogenicforums.com/t/gaffs-progress-thread/58798/64

I had severe hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating) as a kid and underwent now-questionable surgery in my teens to cut and burn some nerves that cause the excessive sweating (that was mostly surfacing in my hands). Ever since, my hands have never been moist (even in situations where someone would normally sweat, e.g. nervous presenting to a big audience) but for years I had “compensatory sweating” where I’d instead sweat awkwardly in places that weren’t my hands such as my chest and my belly. Switch one social concern (worried about shaking hands, holding hands etc) for another (“look how it seems I’ve been going for a run even though I’ve just been sat down with you in a meeting”)!

Where is this going? Well, I gave up on it being curable years ago. The specific surgery I had originally isn’t widely performed any more and there are much better solutions when it’s just your hands that are bothering you. I figured the irreversible surgery I had on my sympathetic nervous system had caused this compensatory sweating and I’d just have to put up with it for life. It was really stupid stuff as well, like sitting for an hour in a plastic chair with other people, then when you stand up to leave there being a slight sweat mark left behind.

Well, with keto, it is genuinely gone. Without doing any deep research I am genuinely confused if I ever had what was deemed “compensatory sweating” or if I was simply eating a bad diet (which I was) that caused my body to go into overload and put the carbs and calories to good use. It has been a gradual change and not an overnight one, but I recently realized I seriously don’t have those issues any more. I don’t feel hot on a cold day, I’m not sweating away constantly, and definitely not worrying about silly things like what a seat is going to look like after I stand up.

I have been a ‘sweater’ all my life, even in my fitter army days. Since going keto, I don’t sweat at all… … almost nothing!. It’s brilliant (for those who sweat a lot during normal daily activities, you’ll know exactly how good this is!).

NSV!!!

(Splotchy) #15

I’ve just searched this forum for ‘sweating’, as if there hadn’t been a thread I was going to start one!

I’ve been a hideously sweaty person all my life (including when I was young and a slim tofi) - to the extent I keep an antiperspirant at work. But since keto, barely at all! Am curious as to the explanation - but certainly not complaining.

I’m also less cold. Either that or it’s been a mild winter/spring. Often at night I’ve kicked the duvet off and am finding I like the sensation of cool air - never used to.

(Karim Wassef) #16

Same here… used to sweat profusely… temperature, stress, etc…

Then one day, I was changing a tire in 105F Texas heat on the side of the highway… and nothing. Not a drop.

I would have usually had to go home to get new clothes but I didn’t even perspire. I just went to work.

Same in the gym. I can’t sweat unless I go for HIIT or sauna.

Frankly, it’s done wonders for confidence at work too. My stress is always under control… I’m cool even when things go off the rails. Love it

I haven’t really thought about it much, but I’ll have to try noticing how much I sweat. My face is less oily at least, and that should suggest somewhat less sweating. Will have to mention this to my teenager too. She might want to go lower carb to experiment some.