Stop wasting money buying peeled garlic

Another awesome video by Food Wishes .com

(Richard Morris) #2

I don’t peel garlic - I have a garject :zornface:

I barely use my garlic press. It wastes a lot of the garlic (pulp gets trapped in the chamber). And a lot of the recipes call for sliced or whole clove…not using the right prep makes a profound difference on taste.

Really? I saw something similar once using a jam jar. Maybe my garlic is just stubborn but… nope!

Me? Easy actually. Trim the bottom bit off with a knife, lay clove on side and put flat side of decent sized knife on top of it on its side also. Smack it, peel it, chop it! Comes off easy.

(Jacquie) #5

That’s what I do! :slight_smile: I think I learned to do it this way watching Julia Child as a teen.

(Jennifer) #6

I recently bought this to chop garlic and I must say it is now one of my favorite tools. The silicone sleeve works perfectly to peel and the press does amazingly well. Cleans up in a flash.

https://smile.amazon.com/Fu-Store-Stainless-Chopper-Silicone/dp/B0199T6MWM/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1492339679&sr=8-16&keywords=Garlic+press

Yes, I am not sure where I saw it - I think probably tv. Possibly a Chinese chef using a big old cleaver which are great for bashing them!

(Todd Allen) #8

https://www.amazon.com/Kirkland-Signature-Minced-California-Garlic/dp/B0078EZQE6

(Bacon for the Win) #9

this is what I use, the very lazy way. Only $4.99 at my local supermarket though.

Awwwwwww…noooooooo…why would you buy that!!! :cry:

The taste is so icky!!!

Icky, I agree! My husband is too lazy to peel and chop garlic and swears by this Kirkland stuff. To me, it doesnt even taste like garlic at all?! I love garlic, and if a recipe calls for 1 clove, I always use 4 or 5 because seriously, whats the point of 1 clove lol! Takes 2 minutes to peel and chop and worth every second!

(Bacon for the Win) #12

ok, it’s not Kirkland I use, whatever our store brand is. Tastes fine and a lot less work.

I buy garlic, peel the cloves and put them in the freezer. Always available when you need it. Last summer when i was teaching my son to cook before he went off to his own university apartment, I spent a lot of time googling foods. It is truly amazing what freezes well.

(Mike) #14

I buy a huge jar of crushed garlic at cosco it costs 8 bucks.

(Diane) #15

I like the frozen garlic in little trays (one tiny cube equals a clove of garlic, no weird taste) from Trader Joe’s. They also have basil prepped this way.

But I’m totally going to try this!