Stomach pain after cycling

I don’t have statistics on how many time this has happened to me after cycling, but I seem to get severe stomach pain shortly after cycling. It doesn’t happen while ride, more so after. Generally my rides are anywhere from 20 to 50 miles. I have a suspicion this is related to electrolyte deficiency. I do drink Power Aide Zero during rides, but after I chug another bottle and it seems to subside. Anyone know the science behind this and what’s actually happening? Any way to resolve this better?

(Tom Seest) #2

Does it feel like actual stomach pain or muscle cramping?

You can confirm electrolytes by getting either a serum electrolyte blood draw (less expensive) or an RBC or Intracelluar electrolyte blood draw done.

But, it’s difficult to tell based on the way you describe it.

If it is an electrolyte, I would suspect Magnesium since it is happening after the ride, but I would think that would manifest in the quads or somewhere else other than the stomach.

It feels like stomach pain, almost like I’m about to vomit.

(Tom Seest) #4

I would be shocked if that is electrolyte related.

I wouldn’t know what to advise, as I’ve never experienced anything like that. Are you riding fasted? Or, eating during the ride? Really kind of hard to tell.

Hopefully, you can figure it out.

(ianrobo) #5

I think that is the key Tom, for thins like this we need full details. I used to et this but I found out it was due to the horrible els and drinks I used to take. If a Keto person gets this, I quest boosting the salt, salt is not bad !