Still trying

(Ivy) #21

As long as kcals are above my BMR, so as to keep a healthy metabolism?

I’m lost. Can you break that down for us non-scientists?

If I understand your question, you definitely want to eat enough calories, so you don’t ruin your resting metabolism rate. If I’m wrong about that, hopefully someone will come along and correct me.

(Ivy) #23

YES, i do not want to ruin that of what you said

Sorry, wasn’t sure what you were asking. I just did a search for “BMR” and came across this. Maybe it will help you decide how many calories you need.

BMR Calculator
Basal Metabolic Rate is the number of calories required to keep your body functioning at rest. BMR is also known as your body’s metabolism; therefore, any increase to your metabolic weight, such as exercise, will increase your BMR. To get your BMR, simply input your height, gender, age and weight below. Once you’ve determined your BMR, you can begin to monitor how many calories a day you need to maintain or lose weight.

Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) Calculator | ACTIVE

But also, be sure to check out the link above for basic advice on eating keto.

(Ivy) #25

This is all because someone here said my eating fat:protein 1:1 was too much fat and would never help me lose weight, but if I lower it to less, it goes under 2,000 kcals. I thought I need 2000 kcals for the duration of getting fat adapted. And the keto calculator calculated that I eat at below my BMR so I was just asking out of concern.

Start with the basics. Get used to eating a ketogenic diet first, then focus on losing weight if you still want to, but don’t make that your only goal.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #27

This is absolutely not true!

I have advised you repeatedly that a ketogenic diet means restricting carbohydrate, eating a reasonable amount of protein, and adding enough fat to satisfy your hunger. Not a single post that I have seen has advised you to eat fat indiscriminately. Where you got that advice, I have not a clue, but I know for sure it was not on the Ketogenic Forums.

As many people on these forums have advised you, the way to get fat adapted is to eat a well-formulated ketogenic diet until your muscle cells’ metabolism heals. This takes time. And a well-formulated ketogenic diet consists of very little carbohydrate, a reasonable amount of protein, and fat to satiety.

If you eat to satisfy your hunger, you do not need to know your BMR or your activity level, because your body will tell you how much it needs. Eat when hungry, stop eating when you stop being hungry, and don’t eat again until you are hungry again.

Some people are not satisfied unless they eat more protein than other people; other people are not satisfied unless they eat more fat. If you find yourself snacking between meals, snack on protein and fat only, and then eat more at the next meal.

(Ivy) #28

Oh ok I didnt know that bmr dint matter

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #29

It’s not that it doesn’t matter, it’s that you have no way of knowing what it is, unless you can convince some scientist to lock you up in a metabolic chamber for a few days. But eating to satisfy your hunger is a dead easy way to match intake to expenditure (BMR).

It doesn’t work like that at all. I have leaner days but I almost always eat more fat than protein and I had this all my life, I am sure (I obviously didn’t track all my life but it’s my educated guess). Including the times when i lost fat just fine. Not like me losing fat while being borderline obese and you losing the little extra fat you have is comparable.
Fat-loss isn’t about ratios at all… Sure, some insane ratios would be wrong, we need our protein, after all (and some fat too) but that’s it. Individually it’s different. I can imagine someone can’t lose fat with 1:1 ratio. I surely can as long as I don’t eat too much (that’s the hard part but if I can pull it off, I am good). 2:1 would be a bit tricky for me but 1:1 or a bit more fat? Sounds perfect.
But my ratio can do whatever it pleases (and it does. that’s why I have it anywhere between 0.5 and 2.0, sometimes outside of this range and the ratio alone never means over- or undereating, I can have great days with this, a bit lower than 2000 kcal though). It doesn’t matter. Good food choices, maybe good timing do. If you choose your food well and don’t eat without a need and your body works well enough to give you proper signs, you don’t need to track or to worry about where exactly your macros fall. We often can’t even vaguely know our macros… We still can do keto.

(Jane) #31

^^^^ THIS

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #32

It’s also important to bear in mind that when percentages of food intake are thrown around, they are always percentages of total calories. This means that a diet of equal amounts of fat and protein by weight constitutes a high-fat diet to researchers in human nutrition, because it comes to 69% of calories as fat and 31% as protein. The calculation goes like this: 100 g of protein is 400 calories, 100 g of fat is 900 calories. So 100 / 1300 = 31% and 900 / 1300 = 69%.

Of course this is all approximate, because a gram of protein doesn’t contain precisely 4 calories, nor does a gram of fat contain precisely 9. But it seems to be precise enough for nutritionists.

(Ivy) #33

With my meal planning, I think I should try
130 protein + 100 fat according to suggestions on high protein

Total: 1420 kcals But add for satiety

520 kcals of protein
900 kcals of fat
----------------------------------------------The HIghest I can go [without lowering protein]:

1. Highest on Protein: 1560 kcals 165 Protein 100 Fat
  2. Bodyweight Matching Protein: 1800 kcals 130 Protein 142 Fat
  3. Highest on Both Ends: 2000 kcals 165 Protein 148 Fat

That guess I can play around with satiety.
age 32
5’6
female, light activity
bmi 22 around 23% body fat

Not sure if I should try lowering the fat:
4. Bodyweight Matching Protein: 1430 kcals 146 Protein 94 Fat
Bodyweight Matching Protein: 1440 kcals 159 Protein 88 Fat
5. Not sure what else to think

1. Not wanting to increase protein too far, cause I listen to 2 Keto Dudes https://2ketodudes.com/details/191

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #34

By all means. That’s about 18 ounces of really lean meat. It will be interesting to know how it works for you.

Why don’t you just eat as much as you feel like (unless you feel like eating too little protein on food in general)?
If that doesn’t work longer term, you can still tweak your woe. This extreme focus on macros I rarely see from ketoers or anyone, actually though many dieters surely do that.

(Ivy) #36

I am going to start with the Ruled me app

I want to keep on track no matter what. I think its extra hard when keto flu makes one crazy. It subsided after week 1.

One shouldn’t get keto flu at all. So THAT is finally a problem you should solve. Focus on your electrolytes.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #38

Keto “flu” is easy to avoid, just put a bit more salt on your food.

(Ivy) #39

Should I just use Ruled me? Is it good for my goals? I feel better on high protein, though thats not an option with ruled me

Just keep in mind that what folks nowadays love to call ‘Keto Flu’ is not actually a Flu itself. Which is a respiratory illness caused by influenza viruses I’ve never liked the term myself and prefer to call it what it is… CARB WITHDRAW. Some people moving over to a Keto, or any LC diet can sometimes just feel bad, and immediately think they have the Keto Flu. - It could be something non-related, or it could indeed be the withdraw of carbs. This can happen when one simply stops consuming something more specific, such as Soda, or Coffee. But it’s not unexpected anytime you make any big changes in your daily consumption of foods/beverages. Be it low carb, or just simply pounding down a lot of sweets, say around Halloween, Christmas, etc. … You’re body is just trying to adjust to that change, and yep, you don’t always feel great afterwards. :slight_smile: Overdoing anything has it’s downfalls unfortunately.

No affiliation, just the site this info came from, after I did a quick search to pull it up for copying…