Still trying

(Ivy) #1

OMAD:
-1 tab hwc coffee with 2 tabs lard, 1 tab butter

• ground beef 1/2 cup, 2 ounces skellig cheese,
  • 3 ounce gelatinous gold from brisket, chuck roast 3-4 ounce
  • 5 hb eggs, 6 bacon, 2.9 ounce brisket, egg yolk mayo,
  • Fat-free pea protein pancake, tiny-tiny-tiny amt. hwc on top, monkfruit, 1 1scant tab kerrygold butter
    -3 ounce chuck roast, cream of mushroom soup,
    -can of tuna with vinegar
  • 1/8 cup strained 0% yogurt cup, tab flax oil
  • 2-3 tsp flaxmeal and lemon zest , stevia lard

Today was my not so accurate keto day of thrice gone wrong n=1 day.
Whew. Heres what happened. Either yogurt, coconut flour or sneaky carb protein pancakes threw me out of ketosis. More on the below.
My questions:

1. Have not found fatty bacon, fatty ribeye anyone have an idea where it might be offered online for USA?
  2. One local butcher I found mentioned buying fat scraps for sausage-making, but I never thought of this. How does one do this?
  3. My n=1 is that as little as ā…› cup of strained yogurt from [4g sugar per ā…” cup] organic greek yogurt 0% fat Not sure if this is correct as a n=1 since people disagree on if this is keto Is NOT putting me into ketosis or its the tiny amt. of coconut flour, or vital wheat gluten not sure. Does anyone else share this? If its not those, its my protein pancakes that might have had carbs. Either way their being thrown int he trash now.

I was under 20 grams of carbs, if the pancakes were carb-free, which I guess I was wrong about. My final thoughts are, could it have been something other than the pancake? These were made with egg whites, although m not 100% sure, but could have had tiny bit of vital wheat gluten in it ā€“ is egg white not keto?

Iā€™ll be sure not to have any issues in the future.

Im gonna go back to low protein after listening to 2 keto dudes

and track / log food and toggle fat / protein

(Robin) #2
  1. No idea. i buy regular old meat at the grocers. No reason to get complicated.
  2. Ask the butcher.
  3. Itā€™s in the trash. No worries. And no idea what n=1 even means. I repeat, you donā€™t HAVE to get into the science and chemistry so much.

This is simple. Period. You donā€™t have health problems and youā€™re not overweight. Stop obsessing over unnecessary details and minutia. You got this.

(Ivy) #3

OK. Thanks.
Am I more insulin resistant having a father with Type 2 diabetes?

In my opinion, I think Iā€™m on my way. I was never a huge fan of yogurt, until I tried strained yogurt with flax oil and monkfruit. Or mushrooms, til I tried them in keto soup. I have tried lot and will be careful with sweeteners, crap, and dairy, LOL, Going forward.

Just didnā€™t know if anyone else had problems with them. Probably just stressed out about crap cakes. Had them with pasteurized clotted cream, which I found out doesnā€™t work at all, it needs to be non-pasteurized.

Youā€™re over thinking this, keep your carbs around 20g (doesnā€™t have to be exact), all bacon is fatty, even centercut, bacon is never a lean meat. Donā€™t go out of your way to completely force fat were it doesnā€™t belong (your choice, but lard in coffee?) Ketosis is from lack of carbs, not from crazy amounts of fat.

Donā€™t get obsessed with ā€œgetting kick outā€, just keep the diet right and youā€™ll be fine. Out of what youā€™ve listed what would catch my eye is the pea protein, the yogurt, and the cream of mushroom soup.

Putting what you listed in cronometer as best I could I came up with almost 2600 cals, and almost 300g fat. I can only speak for myself, as a 5ā€™9 215lb dude, Iā€™d never loose fat with my calories or fat that high. My TDEE (right now) could handle those calories, but historically never could, and much over 80-100g of fat Iā€™m not going to loose anything.

(Ivy) #5

Wish I knew this sooner. Iā€™m already weeks in, nobody said anything except up your fats. Didnt make any sense til now.

(Ivy) #6

130 protein
80-100 fat
<20 carbs

(Ivy) #7

Forgot to say Iā€™m also trying to get fat adapted. Does that still make sense for those stats?

Keto has a ton of dogma just like SAD (especially here) mainly upping fats and upping salt being the magical cure for everything.

(Ivy) #9

Lol, Thank you
This helps.

Upping ones fat intake is also a go to when folks hear someone say they get hungry between meals. So the though is, adding more fat to counter this. ā€¦ But it could simply be that one is not eating enough to satiate themselves with said meal/s. Itā€™s all trial and error, even when we find what worksā€¦ thatā€™s not to say it wonā€™t change, because most find it does later on. Just a thoughtā€¦

(Ivy) #11

Yeah. I already know this all. But, I couldnā€™t divert peoples statements. So I upped my fats.

(Ivy) #12

Do you think itā€™s OK to eat more protein than fat, as someone just advised me to do? I want to be certain before changing macros

I honestly canā€™t answer that, since we are all so different. I also just responded back to your PM. I can only provide data on what Iā€™ve found works ā€˜for meā€™. ā€¦ And this will never be the same for everyone.

For me, I most times do eat more protein than I probably need. But then again, a lot of times, my plate is full of only meatsā€¦ so itā€™s kind of hard not to overdo protein when youā€™re not eating other stuff with it. But never push myself to eat more then my body tells me to. Meals of any kind should never be forced in any way, shape, or form. ā€¦ As it has been mentioned, only time will tell you the real story. And each one will be differently told for each of us. But no, I donā€™t go out of my way to add fat just for the sake of doing so. I prefer the natural fats in the items Iā€™m eating, or the occasional side dish which might be also provide this. (Like Cottage Cheese, Yogurt, etc.) But I wonā€™t add it for the purpose of adding fatsā€¦

(Scott) #14

Keto was not difficult for me but carnivore was easier. My breakfast was the same for both. Two strips of bacon, sausage patty, two eggs with heavy whipping cream. Leave the grease in the pan and fold the eggs into it. Yum!

(Ivy) #15

I got rid of my pea protein pancakes, yogurt and anything that might not help me get fat adapted.

Is it ok to eat more protein than fat???

(Scott) #16

Eat fatty protein and all is forgiven.

(Ivy) #17

Can I still use my chuck roast I mixed with bean broth [ from when I cooked black beans on SAD ] if I rinsed and dried it out to reduce the carbs and just eat it with lard/tallow? Thats OK to salvage?

This my help:

Keto Is This Easy - Newbies - Ketogenic Forums

How long ago did you cook this? Has it been frozen or just in the refrigerator?

It is but it depends if you should do it or not. Itā€™s individual. With your energy intake you can eat more fat or more protein if your body, taste etc. is fine with that. I can eat twice or half as much protein as fat, both is fineā€¦ I personally like my protein in some range in grams and it happens automatically anyway.

Do you ever experienced you eat too much protein? If not, donā€™t worry about it. 130g isnā€™t very high, many of us eat moreā€¦

I never saw anyone telling you to eat more fat here. Eat very low carbs, enough protein and get satiated.

And of course you want to get fat adapted, you wrote that zillion times but if you do keto, you WILL get fat adapted soon anyway.
Itā€™s extremely individual what may hinder you but I doubt eating yogurt could keep you from becoming fat adapted. I barely heard about people possibly not reaching it in the usual several weeks. Fat-loss and feeling right is another matter, lots of items may interfere.

(Jane) #20

Me neither. The posts have consistently advised what you said above.