Still trying

I honestly can’t answer that, since we are all so different. I also just responded back to your PM. I can only provide data on what I’ve found works ‘for me’. … And this will never be the same for everyone.

For me, I most times do eat more protein than I probably need. But then again, a lot of times, my plate is full of only meats… so it’s kind of hard not to overdo protein when you’re not eating other stuff with it. But never push myself to eat more then my body tells me to. Meals of any kind should never be forced in any way, shape, or form. … As it has been mentioned, only time will tell you the real story. And each one will be differently told for each of us. But no, I don’t go out of my way to add fat just for the sake of doing so. I prefer the natural fats in the items I’m eating, or the occasional side dish which might be also provide this. (Like Cottage Cheese, Yogurt, etc.) But I won’t add it for the purpose of adding fats…

(Scott) #14

Keto was not difficult for me but carnivore was easier. My breakfast was the same for both. Two strips of bacon, sausage patty, two eggs with heavy whipping cream. Leave the grease in the pan and fold the eggs into it. Yum!

(Ivy) #15

I got rid of my pea protein pancakes, yogurt and anything that might not help me get fat adapted.

Is it ok to eat more protein than fat???

(Scott) #16

Eat fatty protein and all is forgiven.

(Ivy) #17

Can I still use my chuck roast I mixed with bean broth [ from when I cooked black beans on SAD ] if I rinsed and dried it out to reduce the carbs and just eat it with lard/tallow? Thats OK to salvage?

This my help:

Keto Is This Easy - Newbies - Ketogenic Forums

How long ago did you cook this? Has it been frozen or just in the refrigerator?

It is but it depends if you should do it or not. It’s individual. With your energy intake you can eat more fat or more protein if your body, taste etc. is fine with that. I can eat twice or half as much protein as fat, both is fine… I personally like my protein in some range in grams and it happens automatically anyway.

Do you ever experienced you eat too much protein? If not, don’t worry about it. 130g isn’t very high, many of us eat more…

I never saw anyone telling you to eat more fat here. Eat very low carbs, enough protein and get satiated.

And of course you want to get fat adapted, you wrote that zillion times but if you do keto, you WILL get fat adapted soon anyway.
It’s extremely individual what may hinder you but I doubt eating yogurt could keep you from becoming fat adapted. I barely heard about people possibly not reaching it in the usual several weeks. Fat-loss and feeling right is another matter, lots of items may interfere.

(Jane) #20

Me neither. The posts have consistently advised what you said above.

(Ivy) #21

As long as kcals are above my BMR, so as to keep a healthy metabolism?

I’m lost. Can you break that down for us non-scientists?

If I understand your question, you definitely want to eat enough calories, so you don’t ruin your resting metabolism rate. If I’m wrong about that, hopefully someone will come along and correct me.

(Ivy) #23

YES, i do not want to ruin that of what you said

Sorry, wasn’t sure what you were asking. I just did a search for “BMR” and came across this. Maybe it will help you decide how many calories you need.

BMR Calculator
Basal Metabolic Rate is the number of calories required to keep your body functioning at rest. BMR is also known as your body’s metabolism; therefore, any increase to your metabolic weight, such as exercise, will increase your BMR. To get your BMR, simply input your height, gender, age and weight below. Once you’ve determined your BMR, you can begin to monitor how many calories a day you need to maintain or lose weight.

Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) Calculator | ACTIVE

But also, be sure to check out the link above for basic advice on eating keto.

(Ivy) #25

This is all because someone here said my eating fat:protein 1:1 was too much fat and would never help me lose weight, but if I lower it to less, it goes under 2,000 kcals. I thought I need 2000 kcals for the duration of getting fat adapted. And the keto calculator calculated that I eat at below my BMR so I was just asking out of concern.

Start with the basics. Get used to eating a ketogenic diet first, then focus on losing weight if you still want to, but don’t make that your only goal.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #27

This is absolutely not true!

I have advised you repeatedly that a ketogenic diet means restricting carbohydrate, eating a reasonable amount of protein, and adding enough fat to satisfy your hunger. Not a single post that I have seen has advised you to eat fat indiscriminately. Where you got that advice, I have not a clue, but I know for sure it was not on the Ketogenic Forums.

As many people on these forums have advised you, the way to get fat adapted is to eat a well-formulated ketogenic diet until your muscle cells’ metabolism heals. This takes time. And a well-formulated ketogenic diet consists of very little carbohydrate, a reasonable amount of protein, and fat to satiety.

If you eat to satisfy your hunger, you do not need to know your BMR or your activity level, because your body will tell you how much it needs. Eat when hungry, stop eating when you stop being hungry, and don’t eat again until you are hungry again.

Some people are not satisfied unless they eat more protein than other people; other people are not satisfied unless they eat more fat. If you find yourself snacking between meals, snack on protein and fat only, and then eat more at the next meal.

(Ivy) #28

Oh ok I didnt know that bmr dint matter

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #29

It’s not that it doesn’t matter, it’s that you have no way of knowing what it is, unless you can convince some scientist to lock you up in a metabolic chamber for a few days. But eating to satisfy your hunger is a dead easy way to match intake to expenditure (BMR).

It doesn’t work like that at all. I have leaner days but I almost always eat more fat than protein and I had this all my life, I am sure (I obviously didn’t track all my life but it’s my educated guess). Including the times when i lost fat just fine. Not like me losing fat while being borderline obese and you losing the little extra fat you have is comparable.
Fat-loss isn’t about ratios at all… Sure, some insane ratios would be wrong, we need our protein, after all (and some fat too) but that’s it. Individually it’s different. I can imagine someone can’t lose fat with 1:1 ratio. I surely can as long as I don’t eat too much (that’s the hard part but if I can pull it off, I am good). 2:1 would be a bit tricky for me but 1:1 or a bit more fat? Sounds perfect.
But my ratio can do whatever it pleases (and it does. that’s why I have it anywhere between 0.5 and 2.0, sometimes outside of this range and the ratio alone never means over- or undereating, I can have great days with this, a bit lower than 2000 kcal though). It doesn’t matter. Good food choices, maybe good timing do. If you choose your food well and don’t eat without a need and your body works well enough to give you proper signs, you don’t need to track or to worry about where exactly your macros fall. We often can’t even vaguely know our macros… We still can do keto.

(Jane) #31

^^^^ THIS

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #32

It’s also important to bear in mind that when percentages of food intake are thrown around, they are always percentages of total calories. This means that a diet of equal amounts of fat and protein by weight constitutes a high-fat diet to researchers in human nutrition, because it comes to 69% of calories as fat and 31% as protein. The calculation goes like this: 100 g of protein is 400 calories, 100 g of fat is 900 calories. So 100 / 1300 = 31% and 900 / 1300 = 69%.

Of course this is all approximate, because a gram of protein doesn’t contain precisely 4 calories, nor does a gram of fat contain precisely 9. But it seems to be precise enough for nutritionists.