Steviolglycoside - Good/Bad

(Kian Zanno Ejlertsen) #1

Hey all,

There is a lot of opinions, and studies, out there about different sweeteners…any thoughts on steviolglycoside … will it break ketoses and fasting?

All best.Kian

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

From what I’ve been reading on these forums, responses to artificial sweeteners tend to be highly idiosyncratic, with one person getting an insulin spike from a sweetener that has no effect on someone else. You’ll probably have to try it in order to find out how it affects you.

(Todd Allen) #3

Stevia has been my primary sweetener for the past 18 months and I’ve not experienced any adverse effects at all. But after dropping sugar I rapidly transitioned to using very little sweetener. Most days I don’t use any at all as I don’t use any in tea or coffee though I’ll sometimes use a little to make lemonade. By avoiding sweetened foods and beverages I now taste the natural sweetness in vegetables, dairy and nuts.

(Kian Zanno Ejlertsen) #4

@PaulL and @brownfat Thanks for feedback. I agree, by not using sweetners one area able to taste the more natural sweetness in the food… but im queries if its okay to use desseets and stuff like that.

(Randy) #5

This is the one thing that I’ve seen regarding Stevia that needs more investigation. Seems inconclusive but worrisome.

http://www.drmirkin.com/nutrition/stevia-may-affect-gut-bacteria.html

(Jen ) #6

I think it’s truly based on your own body. I cannot tolerate any sugar alcohols, so I use Splenda. Before that (more than a decade ago) I was a die-hard aspartame fiend.

I know a lot of people completely avoid sweeteners, and I do not use Splenda on a daily basis. I definitely don’t use it if I get a craving (which is less and less to almost zero cravings now). I only use it in recipes that call for Erythritrol that are Keto recipes.

You can always do your own n=1 to see how sweeteners are affecting you (if at all).

(Todd Allen) #7

You need to answer that question yourself. It doesn’t matter what percentage of people it works/doesn’t work for, just whether it works for you. Supposedly it has been used for centuries so if it was inherently problematic I think we would know it by now.

The biggest complaint I’ve heard is some don’t like the flavor. And because the extract is roughly 400 times sweeter than sugar it can be tricky to use the right amount. I think many put off by the flavor use too much which is very easy to do. Growing the plant and using the leaves is one way to avoid issues with the extract. The way I mostly used the leaves was to put them in a mason jar with water and leave it out in the sun for an afternoon which results in sweetened water. Chopped leaves can be used in some dishes when extra water is undesirable.

(Kian Zanno Ejlertsen) #8

@brownfat Thanks, i dont have any problem with the taste…i will give it a shot, see what happens :slight_smile: