Stephanie Keto Person

(Shromona Das) #1

So I got really worried watching her videos carefully last night. I am not fat adapted right now. I don’t even know if I ever was.
I am 23, 5’2.5", and 45-47 kgs. It’s my ninth month on keto and I’ve lost 25 KGS in the meanwhile, but not shedding a pound ever since.
Does anyone in this forum follow her?
Should I give up nuts and cheese and coffee?
Problem is, I live in a small Indian village and i only get fish and chicken here and they don’t qualify as fatty meat.
Is it possible to add in butter, CO and olive oil to make it right?

(Troy) #2

Yes!:heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

I like it mix up
Slowly, I moved away from dairy

Butter is still my go to though!!
If that affects me in some way, I’m done w KETO :tired_face::joy:

Once, I removed cheese. From bad DI sadly
Then I noticed remarkable changes in just my overall health…more energy, less fatigue and focus

Many times I would get tired after a dairy included meal
I GET full still, but not the bloated, horrible uncomfortable feeling I would get here and there w dairy added.
“ to each their own “

I can get by w cheese occasionally
Shredded or crumbled
The odd thing. I don’t really miss it Like I thought I would :thinking:

Maybe add butter😍, and reduce or change up ur other dairy?
Or maybe just give up cheese and dairy?
I like pecans, you can add, adjust ur intake as well ( w nuts )?

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #3

If you are stalled, and we’d call it stalled if it’s like six weeks with no movement in weight or body composition, the solution is to change something. I successfully broke a stall by adding two snacks, changing my workout, and upping my protein. I’ve also successfully broken stalls by cutting carbonated beverages and drinking more water. A trainer I used to correspond with (Craig Ballentine) called it turbulence. You make turbulence to keep losing weight gaining muscle.

(Kate) #4

She had some interesting information and I used to watch her on YouTube but I stopped because she constanly said you can’t be in adapted for a million reasons. No coffee was also a downer. She also said you can’t be in Ketosis if your blood sugar is higher (from memory) than 4.4 mmol/L or 80 mg/dl. I beg to differ on this as I have blood sugars in the 5’s and had high ketones (especially in pregnancy). When this happens I drop weight plus fluid retention, lose hunger and I’m super energised and my mental clarity is amazing. All signs of nutritional Ketosis/adaptation.

I did her 30 day challenge last year. I can say it was definitely interesting the amount of fat you eat. She was a stickler for making sure you eat the fat 200g + a day to adapt. I did end up dropping quite a bit of weight at the time after a long stall but I think that was more about higher dose of metformin (constant tummy issues from it) and changing things up than her program.

A large amount of what she had us eating was chicken thighs with skin, eggs and ‘bulletproof’ tea with coconut oil or cacoa butter. All things that you could try.

This much fat however can stop you from burning your own body fat. Maybe if you want to stablise eat more fat but I wouldn’t necessarily eat more fat to lose weight. She used to have a Facebook group (during the challenge) run by a Swedish girl named Therese who she was helping adapt. This girl ended up quitting Keto (not sure if she ever went back to it) because one of her objectives other than healing IBS was to lose weight and she didn’t lose anything and she had been doing it for a year approx. I think this was mainly due to the amount of fat/butter Stephanie had her eating with eat meal.

I go more on the Dr Eric Westman sort of thinking these days that you don’t necessarily have get your fat in or add fat just eat fatty cuts of meat and you don’t need to check Ketones like Stephanie always says to know you are in Ketosis. End of this video shows what he thinks https://youtu.be/SKLz9CO2JZY

If you have lost a large amount of weight (25kgs on a smaller frame) and only weigh 45-47 kgs now maybe you are near your goal/healthy weight already. I am 5 foot and I know my healthy weight range is 42-57kgs and you are a bit taller so I would say you maybe are close to a healthy weight. It will definitely slow and stabilise for a while and take a bit longer to lose. Changing things up might help to drop the last few kgs.

Good luck.
KCKO

(Allie) #5

I use to follow her but stopped as she’s too black and white (her way or it’s wrong) while people and their bodies just don’t work like that.

(Shromona Das) #6

Dear Kate,

That email answers almost all my queries. I hope you understand my frustration: I’m not even losing weight. I live in a small village in India and due to religious fundamentalism, they don’t sell beef or pork here. Buying bacon is a tough deal: one has to travel to the city for that. I don’t have access to common keto fat sources: avocados, bacon or lard. I don’t get coconut flour here. So cutting out cheese is a big deal.

But did following it for 30 days break your nasty stall?

Yes, I’m close to my ideal goal. But I need to shed ten more KGS. Did you exercise a lot? I don’t have any gym here either. What I want, ideally, is to be shredded. I guess I need to increase fat intake till I’m adapted and once I am, I won’t need to do that. I’ll surely check out the link. Thank you. Thanks a million. P.s. please tell me that I can have cocoa powder. I can’t eat CO alone. I hate oils in my tea.

(Shromona Das) #7

I’m afraid of her. Really. It seems like a banning of things. But if it helps breaking the stall, I’ll give it a go.

(Allie) #8

I go against plenty of her rules and am doing fine.

(Shromona Das) #9

Thanks Allie. But seriously, do I need to eat tons of fat to be adapted? Also, do I need to keep my protein intake below 20 gms ? And one last thing: is she seriously suggesting that IF doesn’t work?

(Allie) #10

Protein below 20g?? You’d die surely… honestly @Bibi you are already very slim and my feeling is you should forget the scale and focus on getting your body fit and healthy with exercise and measure instead of weighing. Aim for long term body composition changes rather than torturing yourself like you are now.

(Shromona Das) #11

I know I know… I couldn’t do it. Stephanie suggested that it’s mandatory to keep the protein intake below 20 gms. I simply can’t do that.

I’m walking and exercising a little. I also feel a lot better now. My bloating us almost resolved. I’m not weighting myself now. I’m taking measurements but those aren’t changing either. I’m just worried if I’d ever be fully adapted and shred. I’ve come a loooong way, from almost 70 KGS to here and I don’t want to end up not losing my belly. It’s always been my biggest concern.

(Rob) #12

I hope you mean lbs not kgs. You are already at a normal BMI.

(Shromona Das) #13

I seriously wonder if I’d ever be ripped. Have a shredded body. I guess I’m being greedy and am killing the geese which gives golden eggs.

Hi Rob… No, I seriously mean KGS. I know I’m within the range of normal BMI. But believe me, I have not lost a pound in the last two and a half months. Not an inch.

(Allie) #14

So you want to get down to 77lbs? That’s a dangerously low weight and unrealistic which, I expect, is likely why your body is doing all it can to hold on to the little fat it has left.

This WOE is meant to be about health and healing the body, not wrecking it.

(Rob) #15

If you get to 37kg or even worse 35kg you would be at a BMI of 15-16. Very Underweight. Nothing about this sounds healthy, neither the ever more extreme goals you are setting nor the increasingly frantic posts and discussion of options.
You’ve gone from wanting to lose 10lbs and a bit of annoying belly fat to 10kg and wanting to be ripped in a week or so.

It is more than possible that you cannot healthily lose even the 10lbs of ‘belly fat’ (are you sure it’s not loose skin from the prior 25kg loss?) let alone 10kg through ANY reasonable combination of diet macros given your current (good) situation and prior obesity. Maybe a long period of IF (but you’ve been trying that already without success?) or lots of proper EF would help but be sure if you do, you aren’t heading into ED territory. You could probably starve yourself to that point but we all know that way madness (and probably damage or death) lies. I know some people are genetically lean and not muscle bound but it is highly probable that you are NOT one of them and maybe never can be. :frowning_face: Maybe after years of repairing years of metabolic damage you can achieve your goal but there’s probably no quick fix just via diet.

There’s nothing wrong with wanting to be ripped but that is nothing to do with a weight goal. The odds are if you worked hard enough to get ripped you would weigh as much or more than you do now but replacing fat with muscle. If that is your goal, then you will need to do some kind of hardcore exercise program to build muscle and increase BMR along with your keto. This is far more than you’ve ever suggested you would be prepared to do in previous posts. Ted Naiman’s video on muscle types which I think I’ve referenced to you before explains some of the reasoning. BodyByScience is an option, SlowBurn programs are popular with many on here or Tom Delauer’s SixPackByScience stuff. If you are really interested, look them up.

I’m sorry if I sound harsh and that is not my intention but I’ve seen all your posts for weeks and they are getting increasingly frantic and circular and I worry that you are starting to spiral. Hopefully it’s just on here and not in ‘real life’…

(Shromona Das) #16

Thanks Allie… Thanks Rob. I needed a good scolding. A reality check. I’m sure it’s not lose skin because when I was down to 42 it was smaller. If it was lose skin it would have probably stayed the same. I know my constant pining is unhealthy. It’s just that I wish I were back to the older “in keto” self. Now I feel like a lost sailor.

(Kate) #17

I only ate like that for 2 weeks. I couldn’t eat all that fat at the time. Funny, I could though during and now after pregnancy though but I was trying to maintain my weight not lose.

I have also tried things like egg fasts and intermittent fasting but I think at your weight your body is probably just getting used to being that weight for a while and then will eventually lose if it needs to. I don’t think you need to add fat in to be adapted. If you count net carbs try going to total carbs for a while or look at what you are eating and see if there are patterns of maybe sneaky carbs etc. I think in terms of the protein it isn’t 20g of protein but 20% maybe. I myself eat 5% carbs, 15% protein and 80% fat. For protein I eat 1 to 1 1/2g per kg. For me this equates to 50-75g protein.
My fitness pal is a great tool for helping work out how much useable protein is in what you eat.

I think some countries (I know Asia does) have lower BMI’s due to the health consequences being more exaggerated when someone puts on weight as opposed to someone born in a Western country might not have the same poor health for a few more pounds/kgs. So this may be why you are going for a lower weight but I think you should try and go for what feels best on your body not what some health authority dictates is healthy.

Headbangers kitchen on YouTube is a good source of recipes. He lives in India so maybe you might get a few ideas/recipes etc from his channel.

(Shromona Das) #18

Yes, I do follow Suhail (headbangers kitchen) on YouTube. He’s amazing. And in my country, half the things that anyone would consider offensive are part of everyday speech. Fatshaming is one of them. I’ve been fatshamed all my life. It’s probably why this seems like I’m halfway through my journey. I know I’ve come a long way but I don’t think I’m done yet. Of course I don’t want to be sick or anything, but I do want to get rid of my excess fat.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #19

To reach your goal, which should not be weight but rather composition you are going to have to exercise more. In a manner that will build muscle rather than burn calories.

Very likely, a few high rep, good weight sets of kettlebell swing a week would get you there in a month or two. But lacking a gym, maybe some body weight exercises would be good for you. Squats. Pushups, lunges, planks.

As others have said, losing more weight would be deleterious to your health. I suspect it also wouldn’t lose your middle, as your body would likely eat some of its own muscle.

This isn’t it. But the scale isn’t the way forward and adding some formal exercise is the better route to your goal. It might even move the inches down and the scale up.

(Shromona Das) #20

I bought two dumbbells and ankle weights to wear while I go on to my daily walks. I’ll buy the kettle bells from Amazon.