Steak that tastes like lemon?

Hey everyone!!

I was wondering if anyone had ever eaten a steak that was pleasantly lemony/vinegary?

I just had the best steak I’ve ever had (sirloin, cooked in beef dripping), it was really tender and juicy, but it also tasted as if I had squeezed some lemon on it, or put some vinegar… but the only seasoning it had was salt… :face_with_monocle:

I’ve read that sour tasting meat means it’s gone off, but I had only just bought the steak earlier today, and the flavour was very pleasant.

I’m just really curious now as to what made it taste that way, and if anyone has had that happen to them before? :cut_of_meat:

(Alex ) #2

is there a secret stealth condiment applying person hidden under your stairs?

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #3

Hmmm. Lemon is definitely great on fish and seafood. And vinegar is great on beef… Like with Worcestershire sauce or A1, which I’m sure have vinegar in them.

My best steak ever (last week cooked with my Souse Vide) was actually marinaded over night on Soy sauce…

:joy: That would explain a lot of things… lol

I don’t think you read my post… :laughing:

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #6

Well I speed read it… When you say, “Gone off” do you mean, “gone bad” ? It didn’t bother you afterwards did it ?

(Jay Smith) #7

I was just googling this myself and found your question and signed up just to reply. This is happening to me lately every time i eat fresh steak. Its odd, not unpleasant but odd. I wish i knew why.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #8

I suppose the question is whether all beef from all sources tastes that way, or only certain beef.

For one thing, meat and milk are known to taste different, depending on the pasture in which the cattle were grazing.

For another, fresh meat has long been known to prevent scurvy (the scurvy problem the British Navy faced came once a ship would run out of fresh meat and the only available food was salt beef and ship’s biscuit). I wonder if that is because fresh meat contains vitamin C. And perhaps your meat just happened to contain extra.

I can taste Vitamin C when carbs are non-existent. Like eating raspberries or adding a natural Vitamin C supplement to fish.