Steak - Grilling Tips?

(Dan Susanka) #1

I grilled some steak last night, but it seems most of the fat drips out, so the steak is pure protein. Any tips for grilling to retain more fat, or is it better to smoke or fry steaks on the cooktop with butter or oil.

I did put a pat of butter on each steak as I grilled it, but I think most if not all of that dripped out as well. Thoughts on getting fat back into this meal?

(RL) #2

Sear it.

If I’m doing skirt steak, I get that grill surface as hot as possible. 3-4 minutes per side, take off and let rest. But this is skirt steak.

Ribeyes, though, I basically do the same thing, just a little longer. Helps to keep it juicy, too.

(Allie) #3

I always fry them in butter

(Dan Susanka) #4

Thanks, I’ll try that. I am using a grill with grates, rather than a flat top type grill, so it seems it is more likely to drip through the grates. The steak was a basic top sirloin, about 1/3 to 1/2 inch thick I think.Maybe I kept it on too long…

Keto on!

(RL) #5

Mine has grates (though I ordered the GrillGrates this week and they arrive today…which will get it even hotter and reduce flareups).

I hate grilling sirloin, to be completely honest. I refuse to buy it anymore. It just doesn’t have the fatty marbling to make a good steak. Skirt steak is a cheaper option than ribeyes but with ample amounts of fat. People don’t like skirt steak because they think it’s tough…but they’re just doing it wrong.

If you will salt the skirt steak really well, don’t trim the excess fat like so many people do, grill it as hot as humanly possible 3-4 minutes per side (for medium rare), let it rest for 10 minutes (very important step), and then slice it AGAINST THE GRAIN, you will end up with one of the most savory cuts of beef imaginable.

It’s the slicing against the grain that is so very vital. If you cut a skirt steak with the grain, you are going to be miserable eating it. But cut it against the grain, then that will be one very desireable piece of steak.

Sous vide to just below serving temp then fast finish on the grill. Take the juice from the bag toss it in a pan and start reducing, even add in some heavy cream and now you have all the fat and a great topping sauce on perfectly cooked steaks

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #7

Robert A. Heinlein, wrote approvingly of cooking steaks “by introducing them to the flames and then permitting no further conversation.”

(Mandy) #8

Does it have to be grilled? Cast iron pan, hot, lots of butter. Add steak. My preferred method for steak for sure. Much more even cooking.

(Ashley) #9

Cast iron is probably best if you don’t have a sous vide. I’ll never cook steak without this method ever again!