STATUS REPORT! Lost 18.2 pounds, feel great. Next steps?

Hello! Was excited to share my status so far since starting a ketogenic diet on November 26th. I am a 6’1 male and I logged my weight at 191 yesterday:

Also, as a big pro – I have ulcerative colitis and I have been symptom-free since starting this diet. That is huge/life-changing even.

I’ve stayed as close to 20 grams of carbs per day as possible, but I do not stress about excess carbs from leafy greens, brussels sprouts, cauliflower or berries – so I likely fall within 20-50 gram range for those who track those things carefully.

During the work week I regularly do 20-hour fasts (dinner to dinner) until the weekend.

I do not exercise much at all lately due to a slowly-healing disc issue in my lower back. Recovering, but I am quite sedentary.

I used the strips at first to see whether I was in ketosis, but I’ve stopped as they’ve become fairly predictable in “moderate” range.

Goal weight: 180! Any ideas/suggestions for maintenance once I hit that?

(Full Metal KETO AF) #2

Lots of threads on keto maintenance, use the search function. I am happy for your progress. Are you eating enough at one meal for your macros? Early on fasting in keto is strongly discouraged by most. Don’t starve the weight off early on. That’s not doing keto correctly. You seem to have no complaints and only mentioned good stuff in your post. Just be conscious of your physical state and energy levels. They should be good if you’re doing things right. No burn out necessary. I am not fasting at all yet, but often eat only twice a day. I eat a lot at an early breakfast and less later in the day. Many do the opposite but late night eating causes insulin spikes more, so that’s why I do it.

(Carl Keller) #3

Congrats on your keto success Danny. I never get tired of hearing how eating right changed someone’s life. :slight_smile:

Cronometer.com is a great tool. You can go to your profile and change the settings so that it sets macros for “'maintain” weight. That can give you a rough idea of approximately what you should eat to not lose or gain.

I’m about 5 pounds lighter than you and the app is telling me I need to eat around 2600 calories per day to maintain. In that 2600 it says to double my carbs to around 55g, keep protein at 60g and eat around 240g of fat. But honestly, I usually double what it suggests my protein is and my weight loss has been steady up until those last 10 pounds (now 6 pounds)… so if I double my protein to 120g per day, I actually only need around 210g of fat.

Thanks for asking this question. It helped ME get a good idea of what I need to do when I drop that last 6 pounds. :slight_smile: