Starving the day after consuming high cal/fat meal

(Roger Korne) #1

Today is day 18 of my Keto experience and I am down 18lbs. I find that I am never hungry and my caloric intake usually ranges anywhere from 1100 to 1500 a day.(I am just not hungry) I meet my macros, always around 75,20,5%. With that said, I recently experienced extreme hunger(to the point that I was nauseous, even after consuming something with a high fat content. This happened again yesterday. The only difference of those two days and the other 16 was what I had consumed the day prior. Day 1 2128kCal eaten, 200g, fat eaten at 88%, Protein was 49g, 10% of cal., and 11g or 2%, carbohydrates eaten. The second day had similar numbers. My question: Is this normal to be so hungry after consuming this much fat?
Thanks for your input!

(Richard Hanson) #2

Hi Roger,

I have never experienced this and I do not have any great information to offer. I will be watching to see what I can learn. Thanks for asking the question.

Keto for Life,
Richard

(Roger Korne) #3

Thanks Richard! It was really strange. Today has been fine. Not hungry at all really.

(Richard Hanson) #4

Yes … strange. One of the things that I found amazing when I started eating keto was just how little hunger I experienced even when eating a very low energy intake, 1000 kcal/day. Before, I can remember feeling like I was starving to death even after eating so much carb based food that I was painfully full.

R

(Roger Korne) #5

I tend to be a grazer. So I am really trying to listen to my body and only eat when I am hungry. The thing is, I almost never am hungry, so I haven’t really been grazing much. That’s why those two days were so weird. Oh well. The next time I have a day of eating like that I will see how I feel the day after.

(Duncan Kerridge) #6

I had some days like that in the first few months, i was ravenous so i ate and ate. They often seemed to precede a spurt of weight loss.

(Roger Korne) #7

Hopefully that’s what it means for me then. I am averaging a pound a day althogh I know tje first week was water.

(Consensus is Politics) #8

Was it kind of a hollow hungry feeling? Like maybe hungry, but at the same time feeling like you are a little seasick? I had this happen a few times. At first I thought I was sick. That maybe one of the pork loins I made wasn’t done enough. The the wife said something later about feeling sick too (no corroborating data. We don’t eat the same food. She goes to work before 7am and I’m home all day with the 4 yr old. I’ll never again brag about how easy it was to take care of my 4 kids. The this 4 yr old is keeping me on my toes. But I digress.

My problem I think was just electrolytes. I put a quarter tsp of salt under my tongue and within minutes I felt right as rain. Several hours later I felt it again, and it was cured by a slice of bacon.

(Roger Korne) #9

Yes. It was exactly like you explained. I have since started taking magnesium and potassium as well as adding himalayn salt to my meals. The extreme hunger has nit been mearly as bad. Thanks!