Starving myself

(Heather S. Hurt ) #1

I have been living a Keto lifestyle for a good 4-5 months now. Down 35 pounds, more inches than I can count, and the benefits are endless. I’ve recently started alternate day fasting to help get over my plateau. It works for me. I travel a lot, so on my longer days on the road, I can fast throughout the day. I come from a large family which constantly eats carbs with a side of carb and more carbs. We are always together and it always revolves around food. I’ve discussed very little about my change in lifestyle because they simply aren’t open minded enough to try and understand. They define me now as, “Oh, she’s on a DIET and doesn’t eat flour and sugar.” I’ve explained the science behind it, I’ve explained just how wonderful I feel, not to mention the weight loss :slight_smile: Yet, still no understanding. Thank you for this group and the podcasts and Facebook groups. Without this community, people like me wouldn’t have the support needed.

(Heather S. Hurt ) #2

The reason for the title, I literally had a family member tell me I was starving myself by not eating. I explained it was simply “fasting.” The ignorance gets exhausting sometimes.

(Cathrine Helle) #3

It’s sad, really, and after having a low carb WOE for seven years I don’t think it has gotten any better. I still need to explain or defend the way I eat, and I’m just sick of it. After I reached goal weight, EVERYONE wanted to know what I’d done (like it was some kind of magic). I provided useful links to scientific articles, easy food plans/lists and forums, but no one seemed interested in investing the time and effort to look into it. Now, I go out of my way to avoid discussing it. Which is why it’s so sad - it could be beneficial for so many more.

(Tim W) #4

I completely understand what you are dealing with, many of us on these forums have been there.

The first time I went 48 hours without eating, the wife was aghast, she thought I would die or get sick and go to the hospital.

Now, after several months of seeing me do it, we have been fasting together and she’s finishing up an 8 day fast… Point being, just be a good example and people will get interested, when the student is ready, the teacher will be there, you are the teacher waiting for the students.

In the meantime, you can ask them questions to try and get them to think. Questions like:

• Have you ever “fasted” before going to get blood drawn? Did you die?
  • Have you ever heard of Ramadan or the other “religious based” fasts? Are those people dropping like flies?
  • Have you ever paid any attention to the amount of sugar you eat? Did you realize that, in some studies, rats were more addicted to sugar than to cocaine?
  • Have you ever read the “a calorie is a calorie” studies and seen who was behind them, who funds them?
  • Did you read the studies about how the “sugar is good, fat is bad” studies done years ago were funded by “big sugar”?
  • Did you realize that Acel Keys, the father of fat=bad has actually stated that he might have been wrong (This was very late in life and he admitted it was blown out of proportion) and how he manipulated the “seven-studies” diet by dropping those countries whose results (and all the results were skewed by the manner in which they were collected…) didn’t fit his pre-conceived notion?

Lastly, maybe ask:

• Since you are so worried about my health and diet, maybe we should go get bloodwork together and we can compare results, would you like to do that?

Those kind of questions will demonstrate that you’ve done your homework and (hopefully) get the individual to realize they are speaking from a place of ignorance (we all do it sometimes) and that you are speaking from a place of empowerment and knowledge and, if they are bright, they’ll shut the hell up.

Good luck! KCKO!

(Heather S. Hurt ) #5

Thank you, great way of turning things around!! I love your positivity!

(Jess) #6

Just a gentle reminder that you don’t have to justify yourself to anyone!
Something I’m trying very hard to learn and practice (not just with fasting but with life in general) is that if I have a reason for doing something that makes sense to me then I don’t have to explain or justify those reasons to anyone.

I encourage you to try it out or just be aware of when you’re explaining yourself when you don’t need to. Pretty enlightening actually!

However I do also agree with helping, sharing and encouraging those who are willing to learn about what you’re doing.

Congratulations on your progress and stay strong!

(Heather S. Hurt ) #7

Wonderful reminder and gratefully accepted!!! Thank you. Exactly what I needed to hear!

(KCKO, KCFO) #8

We have so much history with family. There is more to it than what you are eating. Just hang out with us and the podcasts for moral support.

My standard reply is now:
“I am eating less starchy carbs with healthy fats with veggies.”

That is what LCHF stands for in my mind. Luckily saturated fats are very healthy for you, as olive oil and avocado oils and all the nuts. Who in their right mind wouldn’t want to eat this way

I had a friend who I told that to and she started eating low carb and having eggs and bacon for breakfast, she lost 20 lbs. pretty quickly like two months, and says she has never felt better.

I have the same problem giving information to folks that ask for it. This woe is simple. Do you want to feel better yes or no? Yes? great! carbs are poisoning you and you can only have 20 max. Person then acts like I told them they have to stop breathing and wear a burlap sack. Im going to just start telling people I have food allergies.

(Tim W) #10

Good idea!

When I turn down sweets or something that is carb heavy (at work nearly every day, when visiting friends, attending a group/monthly dinner, when ordering at a restaurant and turning down “add ons” or desert, in short, all the damn time) I simply lie and tell them I’m diabetic (only a partial lie since I AM insulin resistant…).

Once I drop the “D” word, they shut up and leave me alone, no other splaining needed…

(Cathrine Helle) #11

Hahaha, they do :joy:

Honestly - people may eat what they like, It’s none of my business. But that being said, it’s still frustrating to watch the health authorities give the same flawed dietary advice over and over again. This means that when I do speak up, I can only use my N=1, which contradicts the recommendation from the authorities. I don’t know how it is in other countries, but here in Norway the health authorities enjoys the trust of the population, and I think it’s being misused :frowning:

(Deb) #12

Be the example. They just want you to fail. Prove them wrong. You can love them, but you don’t have to like them. KCKO. You are not alone.

(Rick) #13

I too practice alternate day fasting as a means to streamline my life. As a nighttime shift worker that works 7 days on and 7 days off, it really works well when I’m on my work cycle. Clarity off thought at 3am and quick acclimation to staying up all night is where this type of fasting really shines. Don’t fret over the naysayers, my own experience with them has lead me to believe that this WOE scares many that they’re own take on healthy eating just might be wrong.

(Jim Russell) #14

I work 12 hour night shifts and I have noticed a huge difference in my energy and clarity. Especially over the last month or so where I have really doubled down and started doing 3 day fasts. I also sleep better during the day than I was before.

Keto seems extreme and fasting seems insane to most people. I understand and appreciate their concern, but I’m the 50 year old who is on zero medications while almost everyone I know my age (and often younger) is on statins and blood pressure meds.

It’s awesome to have the support of friends and family, but you can also use the lack of support as motivation to prove them wrong.

(Sheri Knauer) #15

Well said! I’m also 50 and am on zero meds but know plenty who are!